General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Mine's GT-R

Old 12-09-2007, 07:32 AM
I love Lamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those wheels are soooooo sick
Old 12-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Please hold...

I thought nissan said its ECU's were un-tuneable..

Guess Mines' has a hook up somewhere in nissan
Old 12-09-2007, 08:11 AM
El Puto ©

Originally Posted by Shinmei2006
yamada is a fuckin weirdo lol...

i want nagata from top secret to get his hands on one, thats where its gonna get real crazy
Smokey?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by markzeronine
hahah I've been agreeing with you a lot lately.
Did you wanna..... do something some time?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Mark G

Yeah, how a nice romantic night of Rotary and Skyline bashing, followed up by v8 nutswinging
Old 12-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by LongFellow
I thought nissan said its ECU's were un-tuneable..

Guess Mines' has a hook up somewhere in nissan
From what I hear, this is suppoesed to be a bone stock GT-R. Mine's are probably getting some base figures.

All ECUs are tuneable. That's how they run in the first place. All that "untuneable" talk I think is a mistranslation. I'm thinking more like an S2000, where it's very difficult to get more power over the ECU's stock settings. That's a lot more feasible than some sort of James Bond exploding 128-bit encrypted EFI supercomputer. This is even more likely the case as the old GT-R's had so much left on the table in stock form. I'll bet the turbos on the new GT-R are nearly maxed out, too. 2x T25's behind 3.7L is a safe 480hp with probably less than 10% improvement left in them.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:39 PM
I love Lamp

Ya there probably isnt any point to even mess with the ECU unless you got a few power mods.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Please hold...

Originally Posted by Epstein
From what I hear, this is suppoesed to be a bone stock GT-R. Mine's are probably getting some base figures.

All ECUs are tuneable. That's how they run in the first place. All that "untuneable" talk I think is a mistranslation. I'm thinking more like an S2000, where it's very difficult to get more power over the ECU's stock settings. That's a lot more feasible than some sort of James Bond exploding 128-bit encrypted EFI supercomputer. This is even more likely the case as the old GT-R's had so much left on the table in stock form. I'll bet the turbos on the new GT-R are nearly maxed out, too. 2x T25's behind 3.7L is a safe 480hp with probably less than 10% improvement left in them.

I read in one of the articles(I think road and track) that they had made the ECU un-reprogramable, or something similar. I'll try to find the article.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Race Photographer

it probably means they making the software impossible to crack. The latest dodges were the same way

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 12-09-2007, 07:31 PM

I don't believe that shit for a second. There's been tons of "un-crackable" software out there (gaming consoles, cars, gambling machines, etc.), and it all gets cracked eventually. No doubt it's getting tricker every year, but it was built by a man, it can be taken apart by a man. It's just a matter of time.

There have always been some manufacturers with more difficult ECUs. Toyotas, for example, have been known to be difficult, and too heavily coded to be worth cracking. If this turns out to be the case with the GT-R, there's usually a handful of piggyback options that can get you where you need to go before the aftermarket ECUs come into play.

On the "aftermarket" note, I'm curious to see what hands the GT-Rs fall into. It seems there aren't many people that are into imports and modding that have an 80K budget, whereas something like a Z06 or Viper is gonna get snatched up by midlife car guys who have been garage tuners and drag racers since before a lot of us were born.

Think of the Supra. That car had 1000HP potential in '93, but didn't get to seeing any kind of single turbo builds until the late '90s, and 4 digit HP didn't start coming out of that thing until 20001 or 2002, I believe, when they started getting snatched up by younger enthusiasts that gave the aftermarket manufacturers a market to tend to.