General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Lets try this again---Cylinder head porting-Excellent HP per $

Old 10-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Motherfuckin Trend Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets try this again---Cylinder head porting-Excellent HP per $

Ive touched on this in the past but never really mentioned price so here it goes.

Im trying to justify spending another couple thou on building the cats ass of flowbenches.(12 motors, velocity prof., wet flow ability, over 1000cfm at 60") I dont wish to do production porting, but I like doing it for my own experience gain and to help people who can afford the $200 per port prices. Soooo.....

If I offered top-level porting services at $25.hr would yall be intrested? I would only do this on the side,(during the off season-hopefully full time pro-stock racing next year) but consider value for the $.

Porting usally results in a minimum of 10% increase on an as cast aftermarket port and 17-18% on a stock port. Soooo....
Say 15% average gain
Average HP Before After Gain
150 172.5 22.5
200 230 30
250 287.5 37.5

Average Cost 4cyl $250+Valve Job=$400
6cyl $375+VJ=$500
8cyl $500+VJ=$750

That well under $20/hp...Pretty affordable once a combination is closed to maxed.

Dont think because your application is boosted or has NOS that you dont need porting. ALL air has to follow the sames rules, and gains on boosted applications can be exponential.

With these prices I will include full build design/advice/assistance. All customers will also have access to all my data references and literature.

So if you guys really think you could utilize this, please tell me. If the response is a dead as last time, well ill probably build it anyway.

Thanks, Matt
Old 10-25-2006, 02:36 PM
aspiring luder

i'll do it if eventually i ever get my motor, i'd be interested, but there is no time frame i can offer on that, but port and polish and port-matching right?

i'd definately do that, whatever i'd need
Old 10-25-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by John
dude, if you can guarantee 32 hp on a 4 cylinder head, you can charge double, maybe triple that, and you can quit your day job. But that's not gonna happen. Maybe on older pre 1990 model cylinder heads, but modern 4 cylinder heads are really tough to get hp out of.

To bad I like my day job. I can ALMOST garuntee 10% more power from a stock head. This is matching the combination to the port. I do full port velocity profiling, rework the combustion chamber, do a VJ based on port design, not that it has to last 200,000 miles. As for port and polish, gasket matching, thats a little overused.

Long description here.
First I figure the combination-decide on what I think, based on manifolding and rpm is a max VE%.

Then I will take a theoretical max to the port to give me something to work for(just a baseline) This is called the discharge coeficcient.

Then I will creat the MAX cross sectional area's I need to maintain a thoeretical velocity/flow.

Next, I will work the bowl/seat to improve low-lift #'s.
Now is where the real magic happens. I will balance the CSA's in relation with velocity, fuel seperation/centrifuge problems/port "energy"(my term for effects on wane motion) and about 262,000 other variables. I never polish anything besides the exhaust port. Chambers-I like them to absorb and transfer heat, and int runner I finish with a 60gt to help boundry layer conditions.

And guess what? If power doesnt improve like I say you dont pay a dime. So I guess I do GARUNTEE the results.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:00 PM

Plus, it all isnt in the HP#. You know the last # on a dyno that means anything to me is HP. Ive seen a prostock motor be down 55hp and be 1/10 quicker. The engine that accelerates a given load form A to B the fastet wins, regardless of HP or TQ. This is where engine acceleration rates, pressure recovery etc determine performance.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:33 PM

I cant let to many secrets out of the bag here, but trust me when I say the smaller the exhaust(with the right design) the better. Polishing the exhaust conducts less heat to the head(less surface area) and has a very dynamic effect on, ummm, lets call it "sonic flow conditions".(secrets I would be shot if I revealed) Beleive it or not, a multiple-championship cup team is testing a head with a 1.54 ex valve.

And if proper combustion is obtianed only a anemic ex port will be sooty
Old 10-25-2006, 04:16 PM
is doing your girlfriend

Originally Posted by dragula
And if proper combustion is obtianed only a anemic ex port will be sooty

My untuned carb'd motor produces very little soot, the exhaust has less gas smell (no cats) than my FI car (4 cats)

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 10-25-2006, 04:44 PM
That ginger...

Id be interested, I'm looking for someone to do some porting for me as we speak.

Quick Reply: Lets try this again---Cylinder head porting-Excellent HP per $