General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Twin City Dragway, Oldsmar Florida

Old 11-13-2009, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i havent been there in a few years so i really dont know what has been built around there....i cant imagine anything was really built around it due to the fact that the dairy farmers around there were hell-bent on NEVER leaving........all i remember, as far as where it is, and i could show u if i drove u there, was going about 3 miles down the main road that Tampa downs is on and u take a RIGHT, at your 1st RIGHT u can actually take ,and then its right there 1/4 mile after that right on the RIGHT....i know that sounds confusing but i remember how to get there just dont remember the names of the streets since i was a lil kid at the time......last time i went there was like 12 years ago and i saw a tower still there with grass overgrown really high all around the track.....the actual straight part of the track was still there....looked like a ghost town,,,,kinda eeeeeerie
Old 11-13-2009, 01:52 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Wow this was dug up from 2005 but since we have a person musclegoddess aka Sharee' (welcome to the site) who is trying to answer some questions I say go for it and thank you for taking the time to do so.

chi town brat
S Mod

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 11-13-2009, 02:04 PM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Originally Posted by musclegoddess
i havent been there in a few years so i really dont know what has been built around there....i cant imagine anything was really built around it due to the fact that the dairy farmers around there were hell-bent on NEVER leaving........all i remember, as far as where it is, and i could show u if i drove u there, was going about 3 miles down the main road that Tampa downs is on and u take a RIGHT, at your 1st RIGHT u can actually take ,and then its right there 1/4 mile after that right on the RIGHT....i know that sounds confusing but i remember how to get there just dont remember the names of the streets since i was a lil kid at the time......last time i went there was like 12 years ago and i saw a tower still there with grass overgrown really high all around the track.....the actual straight part of the track was still there....looked like a ghost town,,,,kinda eeeeeerie
And here it is... It's now a county park, with sub-divisions popping up right next to it...

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com
Old 11-13-2009, 02:06 PM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Oh...I do have a question

What are the chances of getting any and all pictures and documentation about the facility if any exist? I'd love to scan it and add it all to the internet.

Charles

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com
Old 11-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Can you dig it?

This thread just got even more awesome.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:12 AM

i would have to ask my mom to send pics....shes about the only one i know that still has some pics from back in the day........god, i feel old!!!!!!!! im really surprised that the diary farmers who lived everywhere around the track, actually let all their farmland go!!!!!!!!!! they were sooooo against letting their farms go for the longest time....one of the reasons the track was never opened again, once it was closed down , was the fact that i remember hearing the farmers complain to my dad, about all the noise being bad for their cows....the cows were so distraught every Friday and Saturday that they were not producing milk......so i know they were glad when it did close down, and they made sure that it never opened again as a dragstrip....and thanks for the warm welcome.....if u guys remember me and wanna see what i look like now,or even if u never knew me and just wanna know why my screen name is MUSCLEGODDESS , then go take a look at my website....im an INTERNATIONAL ICON on the internet www.shareesmuscles.com
Old 11-14-2009, 06:14 AM

so charles, u dont believe that TWIN CITY ever existed??????
Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM

My stepdad Bob Scadron owned Twin City Dragstrip for many years. He passed away a few years ago. I used to set up the equipment there every wed/fri/sat nights for him. My first legal drag race was there in 1975. I still have the E.T. tickets from that race. I raced there for a couple of years. When we closed for Christmas in 1977 the county passed a noise ordinance. We had no idea. When we showed up in January to reopen we were met by the Hillsboro county Sheriff, who proceeded to allow us to retrieve our equipment then he padlocked the gate. That was the end of Twin city Dragway. Man those were good old days.
FYI, the farmers in the area didn't like the noise and they were behind getting the noise ordinance passed.

Originally Posted by _Charles_
MAny don't know about it, but it once existed. There were actually 2 dragstrips in Tampa back in the day, but both are now gone. Here is some interesting history though on Twin City Dragway...
I have yet to find much info about 'Tampa' Drag Strip, but I do know that 1 of these was located on S Mobley road at a place now called 'Ed Radice Park'. I visited there back in 2000 in my search for Twin City Dragways, only to find what looked like an abandoned straightaway. The county has since built the location into a multi-million dollar sports complex, and what I once witness'ed is no longer.

Anybody having info to share, feel free to post.

Charles
Old 10-10-2010, 05:51 AM

This an awesome thread, my Dad used to race @ Twin City I can remember loading the car up Friday night we used to race @ Sunshine on Friday, Twin City on Saturday and Sunday at Tampa Dragway. We started out with a 63 Ranchero with a 289 then squeezed a Boss 302 in it. We moved up to a 69 Mustang with the Boss in it both cars were named John's Special. I have some pictures somewhere I will post them when I find them and get them scanned...Good Times.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:59 AM
isuck

yes, please keep dragging this thread up from the grave.
LOGIC? You seriously want to invoke logic in a conversation about fake hijackings, missiles hitting the pentagon, and bombs planted throughout the world trade center? I thought it was a given that logic was checked at the door when entering one of these threads.

Quick Reply: Twin City Dragway, Oldsmar Florida