General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

car companies are in a war right now to have the next best cars.....share opinions

Old 08-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Obama made me Republican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car companies are in a war right now to have the next best cars.....share opinions

i've seen a billion and one ads on television about employee discounts, new models, submodels, hybrids, turbo/performance model cars (saturn's redline series, mazda's mazdaspeed, dodge's r/t & srt series). every company is trying to bring a new "cult" car to the industry e.g. (civic, 240sx, dsm's) which companies do you feel has impressed you both in the past as far as the quality, performance, longevity, and affordability of their cars/trucks/suv's? also which companies have impressed you or caught your eye recently.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:49 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

I hate to say it, But DaimlerChrysler (or what ever they call themselves). Shit, seems they'll put a hemi in anything (except a neon...even they recognize a lost cause )

All the SRT-8 + SRT-10 models coming out....yummy selection

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com
Old 08-17-2005, 07:55 AM

I agree, among new cars coming out the SRT-8 and new 300C have really caught my eye. Nothing else seems that new or original. But thats just my opinion.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:57 AM

All the ads with the discount pricing has nothing to do with making a great car, it's all about getting 05 inventory out and making way for 06.

I'd have to throw Saturn in the mix of adding some great cars. Between the Sky and Aura, we'll actually have a true import contender.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:07 AM
towards antisocial

The one's that invented your "cult" cars (Nissan and Honda) are the one's letting us down right now IMO. If I had to pick, I'd say Dodge really stepped to the plate with the SRT4. but most importantly I think Subaru deserves their props for being the first ones with the balls to bring a "cult" car to our shores (WRX). I know its been a few years since that happened but that kind of coperate culture is attractive to me. I could easily see myself in a STi next if Nissan doesn't wake back up.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:51 AM
towards antisocial

Originally Posted by John
I think Subaru for putting 2.5 turbo in every damn thing, you can find it in almost every model they put out. That's friggin awesome, like dodge did in the mid/late 80's, only not POS.

Mazda is putting out a lot of nice cars these days too. Even their entry level 3 is damn nice, best fit and finish of ANY car 25k and under. The Mazdaspeed6 is going to be a Legacy GT contender, and the Mazdaspeed3 is WRX hunting. The new Miata is growing on me, and the RX8 is a real head turner lacking some balls under hood.

Companies that dropped the ball:
Subaru - Tribeca front end = wtf were you thinking award of the year
Honda - hello? Anybody home? Uninspired pedestrian cars.
Nissan - periodically seems to forget what it's always been best at: light, affordable, fun to drive RWD cars. This is one of those periods.
Toyota: their number has been forwarded to Hondas.
I agree Mazda has been really thinking these past few years, although the RX8 is a travesty IMO in both looks and performance. I forgot about subaru's new front end design. Guess a new STi is out of the question after all. When will someone get it completely right?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Spent more money than you

Originally Posted by John
Even their entry level 3 is damn nice, best fit and finish of ANY car 25k and under.
my RSX begs to differ.

Racing Integration
LHT Performance
My tuner is named Alpha
Roque Fab = The best Fabricator in the WHOLE WORLD

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so fucking temperamental.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:18 AM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

That travesty sells pretty well in the mass market. All they need is a Mazdaspeed version with about 300 horsepower for the enthusiasts and they've done their jobs- a mass market big seller and the enthusiast car. I still wish they'd gone for a 3-rotor renesis pushing about 320hp and 300tq though- then the car would be truly awesome. The biggest problem with it now is that it has absolutely no balls until 5k rpm.