General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Cork Oil Pan Gasket Question

Old 04-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Forever Broke Nissan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cork Oil Pan Gasket Question

when using a cork oil pan gasket do you still use RTV???

Old 04-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Livin' Large

Still? No
Old 04-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Banned

I do.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:02 AM
The Happy Mrs.

I did too. It keeps the gasket from squeezing out when you tighten it.

*off topic* - it always seems I post after you Frank, I'm not following you I promise
Old 04-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Livin' Large

Any time I've EVER used RTV on a gasket, the RTV acts as a lubricant and the gasket squishes out when you tighten the bolts. Are you sure you guys are using RTV and not some sort of adhesive?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Forever Broke Nissan

im guessing you wait for the rtv to tack up so it acts as an adhesive too. but ive had the same problem as you BBB. but it might also be from over trqing it or both..

Old 04-25-2005, 10:24 AM
The Happy Mrs.

You're right I it was adhesive I've used w/ the cork gasket . I remember trying to scrape it off the next time I had it off. It was like glue but it worked. And now that I think about it, I think, I have used just RTV before as the gasket, and had no leaks. I know I did that instead of using the front seal for my timing cover too.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Forever Broke Nissan

for the nissan 240SXs thats all you use for the upper and lower timng covers and oil pan. just gets trickey when there is always oil dripping from the block and screwing up the rtv. hope the oil pan isnt warped the least bit.

what kind of adhesive did you use?

Old 04-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

I use Super Blue Permatex. If you put a tiny bead of it on the gasket surface, it'll hold that baby in place while you bolt it up. Of course if you slop it on like toothpaste it's gonna slide right off the pan, BBB. Now those rubber tranny pan gaskets, those things are the shit because they hold the bolts in place for you!

I know you're not stalking me, Janien (probably spelled horribly wrong). I'm just a faster typer than you. It stems from me having a faster and lighter Chevrolet than you I think.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Forever Broke Nissan

are you talking about those flimsy ass rubber gaskets? i had no luck with that on my trucks tranny pan. i just ended going to the mopar dealer and spent less money on a better plastic gasket with sealer beads on it.

Quick Reply: Cork Oil Pan Gasket Question