General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

What ya think about '99 Hyundai Elantra

Old 02-27-2005, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ya think about '99 Hyundai Elantra

i heard they aint no good. yet i just need a reliable-cheap-daily-drive..
i need some honest inputs on this.. (i found one .. hehe)

have anyone has hyundai or friends who have and wanna say something about it??
I want to know if hyundai-drivers have to touch their cars all the time, and need to see a mechanic every month

i dont care about how the interior looks like, whether it can not keep up with big boys, whatever.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Just for decoration

Hyundai = paying for a warranty.

R.I.P. Brian Nichols 02/07/1989-11/24/2008
Old 02-27-2005, 09:28 PM
It's a wooden pickle.

good luck keeping the windows in the proper place if it's got power windows

also have fun with the coil packs, most all of the transmission if it's automatic...
Old 02-28-2005, 07:11 AM

Hyundai has a reputation for being cheap, throwaway cars. That is why they had to improve quality, and offer the 100,000 mile warranties. I wouldn't buy one more than a few years old.

You want reliable, get a Honda. Hyundai is not a company that I would call, prior to just a few years ago, reliable.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:42 AM
Rey
Banned

Listen, if it has been taken care of and you don't abuse it and you make sure all the routine has been done, then it is Exactly what you want, cheap reliable transportation. I'm tired of people bashing brands and make up their own undocumented statistics to back up their opinions. Go to ANY brand dealership and you will see that same brand up on the lift being worked on. BMW and Mercedes are two brands that have been just voted one of the most mechanical problem filled autos in the US. Also, just because it doesn't say HONDA or NISSAN, doesn't mean throw away cars. There are many cars on this board you won't catch me riding in it even if you paid me, freaking death trap waiting to happen. Busted ass cars with a bootleg engine swap does NOT mean reliable. i would only buy a swapped car from like 6 people on this forum because everyone else will promise the world on how reliable their ish is until YOU buy it then it becomes your nightmare.
Back on topic, Hyundai CAN be a reliable car as long as you take care of it.

And to answer your question about hyundai's having to be touched by a mechanic on a monthly basis...... The only car i see on this forum always being broke down, smoke out tail pipe ect are Hondas. If you have a mechanic check the car out and it's good, Then it looks like what you are searching for.. good luck
Old 02-28-2005, 08:08 AM

He said Hyundai. You said reliable. I'm confused.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by REY78
Hyundai CAN be a reliable car as long as you take care of it.ALL THE TIME!

i fixed it for ya
Old 02-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Rey
Banned

for example, There are a few residents where I work that have an Elantra and a Sonata. I went to go check the info: The Elantra had 75k miles and the Sonata has 101K miles. Both auto and both are driven daily. The ONLY reasons these cars have seen the Dealership was to do routine maintenance ( oil, tune) except for the sonata had to have the ac system checked and repaired. That's IT. Both cars are what you would consider "Ordinary" and "Generic" but neither has left their owner stranded or with a faffillion dollars in repairs. ANY car can be reliable if it is treated right and not beat on like 98% of you on this forum. SHOOT, there is even a 83 corolla with 580K miles on it across the street from here and it still goes and has no rust. So to Neolinski, if you have a lead foot, or if you want to have the girls flocking to your car and you say to them "Sigan brillando, sigan brillando - eso es MIOOOOO", or if you want to be part of the bandwagon everyone else is on, Then the Hyundai is NOT the car you want. Go get a beater civic/pigtegra/corolla/miata ect and rice the living daylights out of it and you will be worshipped on TR. Otherwise if all you want is good, reliable transportation and you promise to change all fluids at appropriate times and not to hot dog it or show up on Gandy on saturdays, then go for it. Ignore the moronic comments from people who probably have shit cars themselves but since the brand name is labeled on the trunk, it must be all good.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:46 AM
F*ck Tom Brady

doesnt a GST swap in there or something, I know on of the hyundai's do.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Rey
Banned

Originally Posted by VIRGINiaGIRLSpwm
doesnt a GST swap in there or something, I know on of the hyundai's do.

what are you talking about ???????

Quick Reply: What ya think about '99 Hyundai Elantra