General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Opinions on used luxury cars (6000-8000)

Old 04-18-2004, 09:48 PM
THE HAMMER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on used luxury cars (6000-8000)

Ive been looking and considering a lot of things..

Here are requirements...

4 doors
rear seats can fit a 6 footer
reliable as possible
within the price range of 6K-8K..

Ive been looking at used lexus ls400's as well as the Q45 that i'm currently sold on..

Just give advice as to what you like and why. Try not to flame others...
Old 04-19-2004, 03:55 AM
Livin' Large

You seem to be looking for an import, but if you're not against domestics, Cadillac Devilles are nice, front drive with a northstar, and you could always get a Buick Roadmaster or Cadillac Fleetwood, they're Impala SS's for half the price, plenty of room, plenty of power, great ride, and if you believe the shit some people talk to me, all you need is a nitrous kit, and poof, you'll run low 12's PM me, I might be able to help.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:31 AM

At that price you can get an early 90's Mercedes (190 or 300 series) with a 6-cyl. Possibly even the 500 series if you look around. The car will haul even if stock, the 300 and up series have good room in the rear, and they are reliable once you replace the normal repair stuff (master cyl, clutch, timing belt, etc).

Our family has owned a bunch of them. Always been impressed with their balance on the road.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:32 AM
Embrace the Hate

94-95 impala SS, Sexy powerfull...big

People fear what they don't understand, hate what they can't conquer. Guess it's just the fury of man!

Who are the Hardcore lifters?? StrengthCamp RyanMagin.com
Old 04-19-2004, 05:33 AM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by Exhaust Etc
94-95 impala SS, Sexy powerfull...big
+1

Towncars are nice too, particularly if you find a sport package with the monochrome paint treatment and floor shifter.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:35 AM
Old School.

I'd go with something japanese. the LS400 or the Infiniti are probably going to be the least troublesome. I'd stay away from German luxury cars that are that old, its expensive enough to maintain a new one, let alone one that may need constant maintenance without a warranty.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:22 AM
Livin' Large

Without starting a import/domestic arguement, I will say that I have had no major mechanical problems with the two buick roadmasters I have had. The drivetrains are solid, and parts are plenty available because of all the different LT1 platforms/configurations. I had an optispark failure (my fault, I pressure washed the engine before learning you can't get an optispark wet) and have had to replace a couple of plastic clips that keep the windows in the track (this is actually my main complaint, when they get a little older, the plastic gets brittle, I have to fix my driver's window now) My cars got 131k on the original motor, so we know they can take a beating As far as lincoln town cars go, be careful, the early years with mod motors especially (started in '92 I believe) had fire problems. A friend of mine almost lost his house when a '92 lincoln town car spontaneously combusted in his garage. There was extensive damage, between the damage and relocating his family for about 8 months, his homeowners insurance paid out over $100k, they sued ford, ford sent out some reps, they took one look at the engine bay, and cut the insurance company a check, so it's not like they don't know. I'm sure it has been addressed in the newer cars, and spending 6-8k you won't be looking at a '92, but I wanted to share for anyone else that may not know. Luxury cars are a little different than say comparing a cavalier to an integra, you can find a good, reliable luxury car built here domestically if you choose, I'm a little biased because I have one, but the B-body, LT1 platforms are really a hell of a car for the money. Hell, I'll sell you mine, PM me, I've got something a little different I've been wanting to do

Last edited by BigBadBuick; 04-19-2004 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:40 AM
THE HAMMER

I'm very concerned about domestic relibility....

how are the impala SS's as far as that goes? its kinda a crude way at getting to luxury but maybe I'll consider it. Its just something about domestic interiors that really gets at me for the most part.. However its not the end of the world..

I really like the old Eldorado touring coupes.. any info on these?

Last edited by Slash; 04-19-2004 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Embrace the Hate

Crude?

have you ever ridin/driven one>?

they are beautiful cars and this comming from someone who doesnt like chevys

People fear what they don't understand, hate what they can't conquer. Guess it's just the fury of man!

Who are the Hardcore lifters?? StrengthCamp RyanMagin.com
Old 04-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Chowdah-head

impala SS's fuckin rock, i drove one when i was 15 and have wanted one ever since