Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

2004 Navigator Supercharger

Old 06-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian
I had not committed to memory the specific years the 2v, 3v, and 4v trucks were offered, but I knew enough that they were all quite similar to each other. I dont work for them anymore because Im back in school.

Yes, I use Wiki; anybody who doesnt think it's a credible source doesnt know how it works. Wikipedia has as many angry nerds tappin' away at their keyboards (including myself; obviously not on Ford pages though) making sure the information on there is correct as places like Ford specific sections (or any other manufacturer) have blind fanboys who dont know as much as, say, you. I jumped in this thread when it was in GCC before it was moved, else I wouldntve said anything at all.
So now those from the import sections now believe that what you have posted to be a true and reliable source of information because you stated you worked at a Lincoln dealer,.. you must know what you are talking about else why would you put yourself out there like that? Now we have who knows how many Honda boyz passing the same information around as truth. And they believe it because you told them. Wiki is about as reliable as TR. No more,.. no less. I know exactly how wiki functions. I am on my 2nd year of a CIS CPA degree.

Just because I have a Miata in my sig doesnt mean I think of it as my pride and joy. The picture is taken at that angle because the right side fender is white, so it doesnt make it look so bad. Nobody rips on my car more than I do.
Then why not put your pride and joy in the sig instead of the Miata? Would make sense to me. I mean you put the Miata out there for public view. It must mean something to you. Else why risk the criticism?

Saying the V10 is not related is like saying the 3.8/4.3 Chevy V6s arent related to the 350, or the M3 V8 isnt related to the M5 V10, when they are really just 2 cylinders short.
No,.. the 3.8 is not a Chevy V6,.. its a Buick V6. Completely unrelated to a Chevy 350. It was used in Chevy's (And Pontiacs and Buicks) yes,.. but it does not share one single design or part with a SBC or the 4.3. Its as different as the Pontiac, Buick or Olds 350 is to the Chevy 350 as they are from each other. Thats like saying the 2.8 and 3.1 V6 are related to the 350 also. No,.. The 4.3 yes,.. not the 3.8. You really need to quit reading Wiki,.. its clouded your mind. Before the mid 80's,.. Pontiac, Olds, Buick, Cadillac and Chevy,.. ALL had their own engines. Each was as different from the other as Ford is from Chevy. The 3.8 is a long standing survivor from that era. The 4.3 came later. That kind of false information is exactly what I am getting at and the point I would like to get across.

As for the V10 - 4.6 - 5.4 conversation,. the topic revolves around a 2004 Lincoln Navigator. And the Expedition was brought into the conversation by someone else who doesnt know much about Ford either. Other than the bore and stroke,.. the V10 is NOT a 4.6 or 5.4. The 5.4 uses a completely different block crank and rods than the 4.6. They are similar as the 351 windsor is to the 302 windsor,.. beyond that the V10 has no relevance to the Navigator or Expedition. So in the truest form of tech,.. no,.. the V10 is not related in any way shape or form. The Navigator Chassis is nothing more than a reskinned Expedition,.. that is true. But the 2004 engines are considerably different from each other. The later models are sharing the 3v engines. That is true. But the topic is about the 2004 Navigator.

Focus on the topic. Running off on different little tangents confuses people,.. particularly the younger guys from the import sections who might be interested. So much confusing false information gets spread around that they lose interest and go back to what their 'boyz' know. And that in my opinion is sad because you guys feed off of each other in that regard.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 06-07-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Not Mad

Originally Posted by Hurstmeister
So now those from the import sections now believe that what you have posted to be a true and reliable source of information because you stated you worked at a Lincoln dealer,.. you must know what you are talking about else why would you put yourself out there like that? Now we have who knows how many Honda boyz passing the same information around as truth. And they believe it because you told them. Wiki is about as reliable as TR. No more,.. no less. I know exactly how wiki functions. I am on my 2nd year of a CIS CPA degree.

Then why not put your pride and joy in the sig instead of the Miata? Would make sense to me. I mean you put the Miata out there for public view. It must mean something to you. Else why risk the criticism?

No,.. the 3.8 is not a Chevy V6,.. its a Buick V6. Completely unrelated to a Chevy 350. It does not share one single design or part with a SBC or the 4.3. Its as different as the Pontiac, Buick or Olds 350 is to the Chevy 350 as they are from each other. Thats like saying the 2.8 and 3.1 V6 are related to the 350 also. No,.. The 4.3 yes,.. not the 3.8. You really need to quit reading Wiki,.. its clouded your mind. Before the mid 80's,.. Pontiac, Olds, Buick, Cadillac and Chevy,.. ALL had their own engines. Each was as different from the other as Ford is from Chevy. The 3.8 is a long standing survivor from that era. The 4.3 came later.

As for the V10 - 4.6 - 5.4 conversation,. the topic revolves around a 2004 Lincoln Navigator. And the Expedition was brought into the conversation by someone else who doesnt know much about Ford either. Other than the bore and stroke,.. the V10 is NOT a 4.6 or 5.4. The 5.4 uses a completely different block crank and rods than the 4.6. They are similar as the 351 windsor is to the 302 windsor,.. beyond that the V10 has no relevance to the Navigator or Expedition. So in the truest form of tech,.. no,.. the V10 is not related in any way shape or form. The Navigator Chassis is nothing more than a reskinned Expedition,.. that is true. But the 2004 engines are considerably different from each other. The later models are sharing the 3v engines. That is true. But the topic is about the 2004 Navigator.

Focus on the topic. Running off on different little tangents confuses people,.. particularly the younger guys from the import sections who might be interested. So much confusing false information gets spread around that they lose interest and go back to what their 'boyz' know. And that in my opinion is sad because you guys feed off of each other in that regard.

Hurst
Damn, Did you write the book on Engines ? Very knowledgeable. +1
Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by CoRDiTe
Damn, Did you write the book on Engines ? Very knowledgeable. +1

When you get as old, fat and ugly as me the only thing you have left is your mind. You look back fondly on youthful memories of past projects.

Unlike most guys,.. I type faster than I can talk. Sometimes my fingers type out what I am thinking before I think to type it,.. so I cam constantly going back proof reading and editing what I may have post in case what I post came out as the ramblings of an old man. That and I am anal about correct information.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 06-07-2010, 03:49 PM
bvh

jim not trying to step on toes the v10 motor has the v angle as a 5.4 uses the same oil pump same rods as a 5.4 the 2v heads there are pi v10 and npi v10 heads. same tranny bolt pattern as any mod motor. only reason i know this is there a turbo fox body that will b out soon that iv been helping with. the v10 is a mod motor
Old 06-07-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by bvh
jim not trying to step on toes the v10 motor has the v angle as a 5.4 uses the same oil pump same rods as a 5.4 the 2v heads there are pi v10 and npi v10 heads. same tranny bolt pattern as any mod motor. only reason i know this is there a turbo fox body that will b out soon that iv been helping with. the v10 is a mod motor

Its a mod motor yes. But its not a Navigator or Expedition motor. Perhaps I should have clarified that a little better. The way he originally posted,.. it could have been construed that V10's came in the Navigators.

Thats all.

Dont you have work you need to be doing?

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
bvh

your right , every 8 post should be cliff notes. not trying to set on any toes
Its a mod motor yes. But its not a Navigator or Expedition motor. Perhaps I should have clarified that a little better. The way he originally posted,.. it could have been construed that V10's came in the Navigators.

Thats all.

Dont you have work you need to be doing?

Hurst
Old 06-07-2010, 09:55 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

First I want to start off with "thank you for posting correct information."

I'd also like to debate here what "related" means when it comes to engines. This all reminds me of when I've told people Toyota A series and S series engines are completely different. The F heads on them both are DOHC, but just one cam gear--the other cam just riding backward via an internal gear. Both had revisions at similar times, and when you put them next to each other, look pretty similar.

Same goes for the 4B11T...the new Evo X engine and the turbo Genesis coupe 4 banger. Everyone tells me they arent related, when they clearly are. If you want me to post proof that they were similar, I can dig up my old post, but that might be digressing too far.

As far as things not bolting up to each other, it only takes a few mm here or there for that to be true. In this case, Im sure entirely different parts were used so it would serve a different purpose

My "pride and joy" does not run and hasnt for a few years. I took over someone else's project and dont have the funds to get it where I want it. It would just be a hunk of metal dangerously driving down the road.

There's not much to criticize with owning a Miata. Obviously with the stock engine, I'm not going to brag about whatever it runs in the 1/4 mi (probably 17s-18s), because I didnt buy it to do that. I bought it because it handles superbly, gets excellent mileage, and I dont have to drive a shitty economy car in the mean time. Anyone who thinks its a bad car hasnt driven one on a spirited ride before. A Miata is in the autocross world what a fox body is at the drag strip. I already have a car with at least "decent" power, so I went in a different route for it. It's cheap, light, reliable, and most important RWD; it doesnt do what I want it to, but it does what I need it to.

No,.. the 3.8 is not a Chevy V6,.. its a Buick V6. Completely unrelated to a Chevy 350. It was used in Chevy's (And Pontiacs and Buicks) yes,.. but it does not share one single design or part with a SBC or the 4.3. Its as different as the Pontiac, Buick or Olds 350 is to the Chevy 350 as they are from each other. Thats like saying the 2.8 and 3.1 V6 are related to the 350 also. No,.. The 4.3 yes,.. not the 3.8. You really need to quit reading Wiki,.. its clouded your mind. Before the mid 80's,.. Pontiac, Olds, Buick, Cadillac and Chevy,.. ALL had their own engines. Each was as different from the other as Ford is from Chevy. The 3.8 is a long standing survivor from that era. The 4.3 came later. That kind of false information is exactly what I am getting at and the point I would like to get across.
I probably shouldve specified "GM" and not "Chevy." I know they had their separate engines, but even if I didnt look it up on Wiki, I was told the 4.3 was based off the 350 at auto school by someone who worked for GM for over two decades. I thought the 4.3 was related to the 3.8, and apparently its not.

Topics quickly change subject, as you can see. I feel the modular Ford is still part of the topic, which was what was originally discussed

Hurst
There's ignorant people that own domestics just as there's ignorant people that own imports. TR long ago stopped being a reliable information center, so long ago I stopped caring. For a while I checked my sources before posting, and would give more fact than opinion. It's been easily a year since I've done that, because people dont care as much outside the tech sections; even then, you can go to manufacturer-specific forums and sites for information.

The TC didnt ask for internal specifics, so I didnt do a quick search to find the differences between the engines. I do think they are "related" enough that you could borrow parts here and there and maybe even use a stock supplied supercharger, as from the Lightning, a Cobra, etc. I will admit I dont know as much about modular Fords as I do about other cars, but I gave blanket information that I felt was enough to get by.

I still maintain that Wiki is a reliable source of information. At one point, I wrote practically half of the BMW E90 page, before information was added and it was further revised and more information added. Revised and reworded, not replaced.

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 06-08-2010, 08:10 AM

Ok so 26 posts and absolutely no information about supercharging my Navi, all of the information that has been given I already knew. So is there anyone that actually knows about any other supercharger that will wok on my 5.4 32v Intech motor other than a kenne bell?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Not Mad

Originally Posted by 1badd7
Ok so 26 posts and absolutely no information about supercharging my Navi, all of the information that has been given I already knew. So is there anyone that actually knows about any other supercharger that will wok on my 5.4 32v Intech motor other than a kenne bell?
I wish I could help, but I am not very knowledgeable with specific information about motors. But I did google your motor and it brought up several Chat forums that specifically have people talking about your motor and comparing it to other cars including the Lincoln Continental and how similar they are to mod. I would suggest Checking out those other forums that deal with your type of make and model. Maybe they can help you out.

Sorry Mods for posting these links.

Lincoln "Intech 32v" Engine - what is it? - Corral Forums
5.4L INTECH V8 - F150online Forums
32V Intech V8 ? - Crownvic.net
Old 06-08-2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1badd7

If you read my first post you should have gathered some useful information.

9.85:1 compression motors dont exactly lend themselves to accepting a lot of boost on pump gas. 6 - 8 PSI would be really pushing it on 93 octane. Then asking that motor to push around a 5800 lb beast,.. its only a matter of time before either the transmission or engine fails.

Hurst

This referred to the 5.4 4v engine within your 2004 Navigator.

Mod motors that do not have forged rods and pistons all fall into a similar catagory where 400 - 430 hp is the safe limit of these engines before they self destruct. The way the combustion chambers are designed they are prone to detonation. This is up for debate and speculation,.. but when I see swirl fins and air dams inside a combustion chamber,.. to me they are nothing but hot spots that will create detonation. Their intended purpose is to promote more efficient burning off of the fuel. This is fine under normal operating conditions. But when the cylinder pressure is increased there is only so far you can go with pump gas.

Its not impossible to put boost to your motor. But in all honesty,.. dont expect any cheap solutions and dont expect much with out tearing the motor down and replacing rods and pistons.

You have a dozen options open to you. Call Vortec, Call ATI (Pro-Charger), Call Whipple, Call Kenn Bell, Call STS,.. they ALL have a "kit' for Navigators. Locally you can call Coastal Dyno, EFI-Unlimited, Rev Extreme, Ramsey's, They all can build what your wanting. I'm not going to call them for you,.. your a grown man (I hope) and dont need someone to hold your hand for you. Google those guys and look up their phone number and call the people directly. Or if you have Poynt or Google maps on your phone use them to look them up. Its really not complicated to find what your looking for.

Hurst

"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 06-08-2010 at 12:42 PM.