Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

98 explorer lock issues

Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 AM
89 2.3 91 SSP 5.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 explorer lock issues

ok rear hatch on 98 ford explorer is making a buzzing sound. i believe it to be lock actuator. i can see it but it looks fine. just making buzzing sound and not locking of unlocking the door.any tips on replacing it. also my drivers side door. if the door is open, i can put the key in the door and lock and unlock the door with the key and the switch. when door is closed i cannot lock or unlock the door with the key or the switch. it wont turn to unlock the door. any ideas on the drivers side door???
Old 11-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Bondsman

Back door , actuator. Side door sounds like the lock rod came off the inside handle. You should be able to pull the handle and it unlock door and open at the same time. Plastic inserts rot or someone knocked it off useing a slim jim to open it
Old 11-19-2009, 02:53 PM
89 2.3 91 SSP 5.0

Originally Posted by GNs-r-slow
Back door , actuator. Side door sounds like the lock rod came off the inside handle. You should be able to pull the handle and it unlock door and open at the same time. Plastic inserts rot or someone knocked it off useing a slim jim to open it
will take off my door panel to see if something has come loose. the handle on the outside is flimsy and flaps around a little at like 70ish. i can still open the door from the outside when its not locked. but when i lock it and close the door. i cant get to key to turn to unlock it. its like something is preventing it from turning.