Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Any one know bout lincons??

Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one know bout lincons??

96 Towncar..The rear air bags are starting to go out do anyone know if i could switch them out and put a coil springs??
Old 07-02-2009, 02:08 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by tony122
96 Towncar..The rear air bags are starting to go out do anyone know if i could switch them out and put a coil springs??
I doubt it. Owning a Panther-platform car myself (crown vic), they typically have either the airbags or a watts-linkage rear suspension.

there's a forum called crownvic.net that specifically focuses on panther cars like the towncar, grand marquis, crown vic, etc. check them out for answers, but i'm pretty sure you're limited to the airbags.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 AM

yes , you can change them to coil spring .It's actually cheaper than fixing the air bags.Ive done it before.I think it cost the customer aboout 2 or 300 but it eliminates the air bag issues all together.I cant remember the name of the company but I think they are in Alabama
Old 07-02-2009, 02:30 AM

God I'm dumb. I saw coils and for some reason I instantly thought coil-overs. Please forgive the ignorance.

Fuelie, what would be the difference between replacing the airbags in this gentleman's lincoln with springs, and the watt's linkage on another panther car? would there be any difference between the two?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:45 AM
Blasphemer

I dont know much about panthers but I imagine it would be similar to swapping out to totally different rear suspension setups. Similar to swapping the IRS in a cobra to a live axle. That being said, it may be a safe bet that the other mount holes should still be present. It makes no sense to re-engineer the entire rear suspension mounting locations on the same platform.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:49 AM
I can fix your bullshit

very simple to do
Old 07-02-2009, 06:12 AM
is doing your girlfriend

Wow....

Anyway. To replace the airbags With springs you remove the air bags and all the stuff for them, grab a pair of rear springs out of a 79-02 crown Vic, grand marquis, or towncar, and put them in. The spring perches are already there

The watts link cars (98+) use the watts link to laterally locate the axle since the control arms are parallel the springs are the same before 2003.

To install a watts link rear you would have to take the rear section of the frame off a 98+ car , but swapping the entire frame is less work. And not worth it unless you want it. A panhard bar is just as effective

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
I gota Cheby

exactly as stated above, I did my dads Lincoln town car in about 2-3 hrs.

Only 1/4 mile track I know is Gandy Bridge
Old 07-02-2009, 03:31 PM

exactly
Old 07-02-2009, 04:05 PM
welcome to Tampa Ricing

x3 and I do know they're actually lincoLn's