Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

brake upgrade for 86 lx coupe.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake upgrade for 86 lx coupe.

What brake upgrades are available for a stock suspension 302 lx? Or how involved is it to convert to 5 lugs and upgrade the brakes? I am assuming new spindles and hubs are involved but what else?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:30 AM
"Now I only have two"

I upgraded my 86 front end with a complete front end out of a FHP car. larger rotors and calipers and they are drilled for venting and cooling. I replaced all bushings with polyurethane and the sway bar and end links are new as well.
The back I am upgrading to disc brakes, I bought a Wilwood conversion kit that has all the parts and I can use my existing axles. watch what you get into with buying the swap parts off of other stangs for the rear because you will have a difference in axle width. I did not want to get into that because of the way it looks and clearance problems with certain tire combinations. I topped it off with a set of 17x9 4 lug silver cobra R replicas with sumotomo tires. looks great, rides great and not a bunch of cash spent. did not go with 5 lug conversion, happy with the 4 lug.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Team Geritol Racing

If your looking to convert to 5 lug, I have a complete setup, front and rear including calipers. Not sure what the spindles and hubs are off of. They were on a Fox that I bought for parts. $400 for the whole thing.