Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

guage mounting

Old 10-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Mechanical Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guage mounting

alright guys, heres my question

ive seen some fox body cars with the guages mounted where the AC vent goes. but it makes it so that you can no longer get air through the vents. ive seen it so it can come through the vents on the ends, dont know if youve seen it or not. i can prolly make one thatll look better on my own, but autometer doesnt have one on their site that can also let air out, if you know what i mean.

the only problem is that its for fuel pressure and oil pressure guages. they were previously mounted outside by the old owner, but theve been out there for 3 years, and are rather bleached. so i want them inside. i could do the mounting solution up on the dash, cuz i have my tach up there already. ill prolly do that.

but there are hard lines going to the guages. braided steel for the fuel pressure, and a pipe line deal for the oil pressure. its going to be a bitch to run it though. any ideas on what you would do?????????????? whre you would run the lines through?

i know its not the safest way, but its been fine for 3 years. there is a way to run it with water, but its expensive in its own right.

so, give me some ideas guys

this guy has a nice set up, check him out. but he doesnt have it so the vents can still breathe

http://www.oceanemblems.com/ShowCat2...otive%20Panels

Mechanical Engineer - Naval Surface Warfare Center PCD, Marine Corps. Counter IED Development

USF Formula and Baja racing Alumni/Consultant
Old 10-05-2004, 06:13 PM
drives euro trash

I ran the line for my oil pressure through the firewall via the speedometer cable (or perhaps it was the clutch cable, I can't remember which). Basically cut a slit in the factory rubber plug and ran it next to the cable. Then routed it up through the driver's footwell, behind the dash, and into the a-pillar trim piece.

Just make sure you put some sort of rubber barrier around the braided line where it makes contact with the firewall or other vitals. Prolonged contact with a vibrating braided line can cause quite a bit of damage.

I had no choice but to run the a-pillar mounting on the '86 dash. If I were to do it all again with the 87-up dash, I'd still go with the a-pillar. I feel it gives you better visibility. Plus I'd rather have full size vents.

Last edited by Alan; 10-05-2004 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:32 PM
has his prioritys ef'd up

Autometer makes a 2 gauge A/C vent pod pod that holds 2- 2 5/8" gauges. called the gauge cage. And it has the bypass vents. You can run all the lines with braided line starit through the firewall.
2005 Excursion (Big Pig)
Old 10-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Pull Over

93 Cobra, R302 331,canfields,T-76,TKO......sold
87 Coupe, 466, Edelbrock heads,Vic jr,150 shot 10.41@129.5...sold

2006 Honda 450ER .....new toy

Do you own a Torch Red FRC and tremble every time you drive under I75 on Hwy 60 and look in your rearview mirror? If so you are suffering from what is known as Cobraphobia.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Pull Over

Here is a better picture of it. They work alright but I personally like having the full A/C vents and using the A pillar for the gauges.

93 Cobra, R302 331,canfields,T-76,TKO......sold
87 Coupe, 466, Edelbrock heads,Vic jr,150 shot 10.41@129.5...sold

2006 Honda 450ER .....new toy

Do you own a Torch Red FRC and tremble every time you drive under I75 on Hwy 60 and look in your rearview mirror? If so you are suffering from what is known as Cobraphobia.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:14 PM
Mechanical Engineer

alright, thanks guys. but my last question is for the A piller.

if i put em there, is there a good way to make it flush because of the hard lines running up there? should i run it inside the piller or what? how does it work with the steel braided lines and how thick and hard they are?

ive put air fuel guages up there for someone else and all, but with the hard lines i think it would be a problem. lemme know what ya think

Mechanical Engineer - Naval Surface Warfare Center PCD, Marine Corps. Counter IED Development

Old 10-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Mechanical Engineer

ttt

Old 10-07-2004, 01:22 PM
has his prioritys ef'd up

You will need to use 90* brass angle fittings you can get them at home depot or discount, dont use the autometer braided lines ever, because they charge 45.00 for a 4 foot section, you can make your own for about 20.00, for about a 5 foot length, but the price goes up the longer you want it.
2005 Excursion (Big Pig)
Old 10-07-2004, 06:22 PM
drives euro trash

Not sure how you could run the large braided lines up there. We had enough problems running a boost and oil pressure gauge with the supplied nylon hose and electrical crap on the a-pillar of my SVO.

The girth associated with the braided line never crossed my mind. You may be better off putting them in the guage cage for a cleaner installation. But you never know until you try stuffing it up there on the A-pillar. I'm sure you aren't the first to do it.

+1 on what BigDog said. Home Depot is good for various brass fittings, and Amazon Hose is a great place to source cheap high quality stainless braided lines and all the other misc fittings.