Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

so my friend has been trying to talk me into a buell...

Old 09-15-2003, 06:17 PM
AuH20 in '64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question so my friend has been trying to talk me into a buell...

The kid I work with wants me to buy a Buell with him. A pair of new '04 Lightnings, to be exact.

I do like the new Lightning (I'm talking the bike, not truck) but I've always been partial to the Harley Sportsters and now the new V-rod. What say ye?

I can't afford the v-rod, I would start of with the 883 Sportster and then eventually trade it in for the 1200, but I have my reservations. Too many fucking idiot drivers these days. Although it would be fun to have a nice riding bike that is capable of racing.

What's the general bike census? I look for my ford homies to "keep it real," if you will.

Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
Article I Section 8 gives Congress the power to do whatever Congress deems necessary.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:26 PM
drives euro trash

I love bikes, but I don't know if I would ever buy one. People can't drive, and getting run off the road by an 80 year old in a Crown Vic hurts alot less in a car.

I say do what you want. Talk to Jesse about his Buell, see how he likes it.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:25 PM

Tampa drivers suck...but the way i look at it, you're much faster and have much better handling capabilities than pretty much any car on the road. Also, when you're on a bike, you tend to be much more aware of your surroundings.

There is always a risk. I say go for it, but skip the Buell and get a Ducati.

Mandatory warnings:

Never ride a bike under the influence of anything (e.g. drugs, alcohol, tylenol, etc...). It slows your reaction times.

If you are ever in an accident, tuck and roll. Do NOT try to stop yourself. Gravity and friction will handle that for you, and it will help keep your limbs intact. I say this from personal experience (2 70+mph accidents on the track, 1 60+ accident on I-40 here in Memphis, worst injury 3 broken ribs and my knees are pretty bad)
Old 09-15-2003, 10:34 PM
whoopdy fucking do!

id get an older jap bkie to learn on, then spend the 10k on the buell.................

i'd honestly say get a jap bike, but the buells are nice.............

but bang for the buck the japs got ya...........
Old 12-04-2003, 01:19 PM

You end up getting that Buell? I'm thinking about getting one myself. My Uncle has an 03 White XB9R Firebolt and loves it. Sure it's not the fastest bike out there but it's a blast in the corners
Old 12-04-2003, 03:55 PM
boostmonkey

The new base model Buells are only 3500 if memory serves. Still, I would rather have an older crotch rocket.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:19 PM
The little 5.0 that could

Default Re: so my friend has been trying to talk me into a buell...

Originally posted by 87IROC
I can't afford the v-rod, I would start of with the 883 Sportster and then eventually trade it in for the 1200, but I have my reservations.
My old man just bought a sportster 883C which was bored/stroked to a 1200. Has Screamin eagle cams and a buehl racing heads. The conversion from the 883 to 1200 isn't very expensive (well under $1000) and this harley rides out nice. He's going to take it to the track soon to see what it'll run.

About the buehl though. Why that manufactuer and not like a suzuki gixer. Personally I'd rather have one of those and I would buy a used one if possible (save that $).

I'd have to agree on a bike you are much more aware of your surroundings though.

My dad, 52 y/o rides his bike to work everyday and on the way home. About a 35 mile round trip and he's still doing ok for the last few months and hasn't told us any stories of near misses.

Hope my rambling helps