The Ford Forum Lounge Off Topic Group for Ford Forum Members or other regulars. Keep it work safe please. No tech posts.

Coyote in a Fox, completed pics....

Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Razor
All i keep reading was 400 hp and last 100k miles

Once you want 600+hp, it's a different game then the LS motor is the option

Old saying there is no replacement for displacement

Coming from the guy with a turbo Stang
Once you exceed the 550 - 600hp barrier it all becomes expensive.
There is a 2011 GT with stock long block sporting a KB and making 631hp. As soon as I find the video I will post it.
I had no idea the stock rods would hold that much HP,.. but apparently this motor is doing just fine. Thats up there with the LSx engines if you ask me. Even the LSx engines in stock form reach their limits after 600hp. Most suffer spun bearings, which is a testament in itself.

I am curious to see how far they take the stock coyote long block before it starts chucking parts.
So far I am very impressed with this motor. For how small it is,.. its making HP and torq in NA form that motors with 50 - 100ci more are struggling to make.

The only down side to the coyote is its initial cost. But given time,.. it will come down. These cars are flying off the dealer lots as fast as they come in. Wont be too long and the prices for a good low mileage used motor will be where the working man can afford one. Hopefully they come out with a system where you can carb these engines with a stand alone ignition system that also keeps the variable valve timing intact. I read an article where a Coyote motor was done up with out the variable valve timing and it only made 310hp at the wheels. So thats what it would be like as a carb'd version with standard cams locked in. I doubt it would exceed much more than 330 - 350hp with ported heads and aggressive cams.

Back when the Terminators were first hitting the streets I was reading about Ford development of the Coyote engines and they were working on an engine that didnt use cams at all. Strictly solenoid actuators that allowed limitless cam timing profiles to be used. At the time they were experiencing reliability issues. Given time I have no doubt this technology will eventually become standard affair on GM, Ford and Chrysler performance engines. The way they explained it that you got the best of both worlds with this technology. Extreme fuel efficiency when you needed it and max hp when you wanted it. Go from a purring gas efficient kitten to an idle that sounds like a machine gun at the flip of a button.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"

Last edited by Hurstmeister; 04-03-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 AM

That is why the new Eco-boost v6 setups from Ford are now getting so popular as you run around on a small dislacement motor V6 to save gas then go to a twin turbo setup when you need the get up and go.

The weight savings on the v6 is one of the keys

If your looking for gas mileage then efi is the only way to role
True-Street trim
348, 88 t4 .96, pump gas
www.alkycontrol.com
Old 04-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Destroyer of fords

If i had the funds i would do a coyote swap in a heartbeat. they are one super-impressive motor.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:41 AM

That is why the new Eco-boost v6 setups from Ford are now getting so popular as you run around on a small dislacement motor V6 to save gas then go to a twin turbo setup when you need the get up and go.

The weight savings on the v6 is one of the keys

If your looking for gas mileage then efi is the only way to role
If your into 4 and 6 cylinder engines thats great.

But there are guys like me out there that no matter what,.. even if the top of the line SVT motor turns out to be a 650hp TT V6 and the base engine is a 400hp V8,.. I'll be the guy rocking the slower V8.

I dont get the same excitement from a V6 regardless of what power it makes. When I was younger a friends dad had a GNX and he used to take it out and race my in my 89 GT all the time. Even though he was a little faster than me,.. I loved the way my car sounded and preferred it over his dad's GNX.

I suppose it doesnt really matter to most of the younger guys growing up today. But for many 40 and 50 something guys like me will agree,.. it has to have that V8 rumble. I can use the Viper as an example here also. A a friend of my father inlaw just bought an SRT10 Viper and I got a chance to take it out for a test drive last week. Yes its a bad ass car,.. yes it was fast,.. but I just couldnt get into the exhaust tone of the V10. Just wasnt feeling it. I'd rather have a Corvette despite me liking how the Vipers look better.

Hurst

Originally Posted by Tiffiny
"We all heart the Hurst"
Old 04-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Bondsman

Coming from the guy with a turbo Stang
That has jumped that ship