The Ford Forum Lounge Off Topic Group for Ford Forum Members or other regulars. Keep it work safe please. No tech posts.

80 mpg and 400 HP Fox Coupe

Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
has his prioritys ef'd up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80 mpg and 400 HP Fox Coupe

Thought this was pretty interesting, my dad told me saw it on CNN and I doubted it, So I did a little searching around, pretty interesting read. And a 10 million dollar prize to boot. Automakers should take some notes.

toledoblade.com -- Napoleon man's low-profile auto aims for $10 million mileage prize
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

NAPOLEON, Ohio - Doug Pelmear has lots of secrets beneath the hood of his black 1987 Ford Mustang on which the only outward hint of individuality is a series of stickers.

But looks can be deceiving. Mr. Pelmear's 21-year-old pony car has enough technological innovation to quadruple the classic Mustang's original gas mileage while almost doubling its available horsepower.

That's 80 miles per gallon and 400 horsepower, folks. And the 48-year-old electronics engineer and master mechanic is not done yet.

The third-generation automotive tinkerer hopes that next year his Mustang - more specifically its engine - will help him win the $10 million Progressive Automotive X Prize: a "race" to find an affordable, marketable automobile that gets at least 100 miles per gallon, or its equivalent.

"I'm an optimist, and I think people need to know there is hope out there," Mr. Pelmear said. "That's why I decided to enter the X Prize race. I could have sold this [technology] off, but then people might not have seen it.

"It's not about the money. Our country really needs this."

The Progressive Automotive X Prize is sponsored by the X Prize Foundation to focus attention on and improve technology for real-world fuel economy.

Private teams compete in two categories, mainstream and concept, and compete against one another in a staged race that will judge performance, fuel economy, and marketability. There are no official entrants yet, but scores of teams have signed letters of intent to participate in the races, scheduled for 2009.

What radical technology did Mr. Pelmear introduce? His patents are not fully in place, but he said it mostly is a matter of electronics and precision.

"We redesigned a lot of different things on the [engine] block," the engineer said.

"It's still a rod-and-piston engine; it just has a lot more electronics on it."

Mr. Pelmear said that traditional gas engines operate "at a very low efficiency, like 8 to 10 percent, and our engine is like at 38 percent efficiency."

He said he could greatly increase even that number if his car used traditional gasoline instead of a mix of gas and 85 percent ethanol, which burns hotter but releases fewer hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.

His engine also would be more efficient if he had sacrificed some of its 400 horsepower or 500 foot-pounds of torque, but Mr. Pelmear said his design is intended for "real-world" uses, not the laboratory.

"I'm not the highest-miles-per-gallon vehicle entered in the X Prize, but I think I'm the more consumer friendly, more down to earth, more conventional," he said.

Mr. Pelmear's Mustang is entered in the X Prize's "mainstream" competition against other modified pro-
duction cars.

According to the X Prize foundation, he will compete against several dozen other vehicles from around the world.

Mr. Pelmear, president of Horse Power Sales.net Inc. in Napoleon, already markets one of his fuel-saving, performance-enhancing inventions: a "girdle" that strengthens engine blocks by spanning the valley of V-configured engines.

After spending what he said is more than $1.4 million pursuing patents and his design work, he recently picked up a new partner: Rocket Ventures, a venture capital arm of the Regional Growth Partnership in Toledo.

Todd Davies, business development manager for the public-private Rocket Ventures, said the firm's involvement with Mr. Pelmear's firm fits in with the venture company's mission.

"He has a new technology, and what we help do is build the business around new technologies," Mr. Davies said. "This could be an American-built engine that could save the American auto industry."

__________________________________________________ ________________________
I liked most of it, except the valley girdle part.
2005 Excursion (Big Pig)

Last edited by BigDawg; 07-02-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:28 PM
doowutchyalike

Wow thats crazy!!! Great find Ryan.....Repped

(C)lassic (A)merican (P)erformance (R)acing (I)nspired
Old 07-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I race sailboats

My dad was talking about this too. Can't wait to see what kind of technology comes from the race.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Mother of fucking christ. 400HP and 500TQ with 80MPG....And it can do better by switchign from a pussy blend to good ol' petro?

I'm in love. Long live the ponies, motherfuckers.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:55 PM
I race sailboats

^ You know that means civics would have 2-300hp, which is good for 14s to high 12s depending on the model, still only like 15ft lbs of torque, but would average 120-160mpg!

4-bangers 4-ever

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq!
^ You know that means civics would have 2-300hp which is good for 14 tohigh twelves depending on the model, still only like 15ft lbs of torque, but would average 120-160mpg!

4-bangers 4-ever
And still be peice of shit plastic econoboxes, of course.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Old 07-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I race sailboats

My piece of shit plastic econobox was atleast made in America by American workers, and not in Mexico or canada like most fords. I dont really hear about fords lasting 300,000 miles like our 4-bangers do.

Except that econoline van that has 1,000,000 miles on it. That thing is ridiculous.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 07-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq!
My piece of shit plastic econobox was atleast made in America by American workers, and not in Mexico or canada like most fords. I dont really hear about fords lasting 300,000 miles like our 4-bangers do.

Except that econoline van that has 1,000,000 miles on it. That thing is ridiculous.
Well, as I don't think I'll ever drive a car with over 150k on its odometer, that really doesn't matter to me. Nor does where the vehicle is made. Cuz a Civic still blows - I'd much rather rock a Ford Edge or something. (Actually, I'll probably buy another Buick or if I'm baller enough, a Cadalliac or something equally obnoxious - but likely another Buick with the 3800 in it with the gas prices.)

Old 07-02-2008, 06:10 PM
I race sailboats

I'd like to take a ride in a GNX, the closest I've gotten is my buddys POS, mostly bondo, been run over, and slammed into a jaguar Regal. It is the slowest car in the world.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 07-02-2008, 06:13 PM

Good old AMERICAN ingenuity!