Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle Tech Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle

Dakota Engine Knocking

Old 12-11-2009, 06:57 PM
tak
A to the K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Engine Knocking

I am in need of some advise, I hope someone here can help.

I own a Dodge Dakota, 4.8L V8.

Recently, my oil pressure gauge started dropping to 0 while displaying a "Check Gauges" light on the dash. This would happen for about 1-2 seconds, and then the needle would jump back up to 80psi or whatever it was at. This would happen a few times a day, and kept becoming more and more frequent. I figured it was the gauge going out, or possibly a relay dying or something. Anyways, like a fool I ignored it and kept driving.

I started up my truck this morning, and heard a very loud knocking sound. I instantly turned the truck off and checked the oil. Sure as shit, the engine was bone dry. I ended up putting some oil into the engine in order to get to work. With the oil in the engine, the knocking was not as loud, but still pretty prominent.

What I would like to know is whether I have spun a bearing or not. My first reaction was rod knock but I am having some second guesses now for some reason. I do not know too much about these engines, and this is my first V8 I've owned.

The knocking sound happens about 50% of the time, not at 1.2k and not really above 2.5k too much that I can notice. It does happen above 2.5 if I am accellerating about 25% throttle, or if I open it up 100%.

The sound also seems to happen at any RPM while I have my foot just slightly tapping the gas, with the throttle open maybe at 10%. This will occur at any RPM given that the throttle is only barely opened.

I am not too sure of the inner workings of these engines, but I really wondering if its possible that is a lifter or valve that could be causing the issue as well. The sound is more audible from the top of the engine bay than below it, and the physical tapping can be felt pretty good on the top of the intake manifold, and not so much on the engine block itself.

I am sourcing a new motor either way but I would really appreciate any sort of reply.

Thanks,
tak