Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle Tech Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle

Cummins turbo diesel trucks

Old 01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
danse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins turbo diesel trucks

A little off-topic, but I'm looking for a good place to get info on a 1999 Dodge Cummins turbo diesel dually. Anyone know of a good, free site? My dad's truck is leaking oil from a bad oil seal on the vacuum pump that drives the power steering unit. The truck is leaking oil as a result. Cummins is saying that the seal is not available separately and must be purchased as part of a $2200 unit! I'm assuming this is total bullshit.

He can't be the first to have experienced this problem, so I'm hoping to find some other peoples' solutions via the magical interweb. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Want to know what the war in Iraq is really costing America? Click here
Old 01-14-2006, 04:27 AM
Grandpa

The only seal I see available is the flange gasket where it mounts.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ good web site

E bay has repair kits for them that will save money, if the linky don't work try a search for cummins diesel vacuum pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...QQcmdZViewItem

Most of the assemblies on diesel's are sold complete, fuel pumps, HCU's ect. For the longest time we could never get any trans rebuild parts for the getrag. I remember ordering a complete trans for a new truck that only had a broken shifter. When and if rebuild kits come available from chrysler, its almost as much as the assemblies. Bert Smith diesel is about the only place I know locallly that has much experience in them. I'm sure there are others, but we don't get a lot of truck work through here, those cummins hold up pretty well. Just cost a bunch to fix.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:55 AM
danse

Thanks for the help Dano!

I have an update...the kit you mentioned can be gotten locally for a little over $66. After calling three dealerships, we finally found someone who would acknowledge that the kits exists at Autoway Dodge. Their rep stated that they could have the part in a day from Orlando and that there was a notice stating specifically NOT to replace the vacuum assembly for pump weepage. Apparently this is a known issue and there may actually be a service bulletin out there regarding this specific part.

Jerry Ulm quoted $2200 installed for a complete assembly, even claiming that there are no serviceable parts available for the the unit. Bob Wilson Dodge quoted out at $2479 for the same work, again not acknowledging that the unit was serviceable. Something smells funny here and it's not me. Needless to say, dad decided to go with Autoway's kit, rather than a unit replacement.

Moral of the story: Do your research, because often times even the dealerships have no idea WTF they are talking about. A big thanks to the Autoway Dodge folks for mentioning the kit, providing a part number and committing to getting the parts here fast. Saving over $2000 in unnecessary expenses is always a good thing.

Want to know what the war in Iraq is really costing America? Click here
Old 01-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Grandpa

Good deal Fucking dealership rats, they all suck, you never know what info you'll get from one dealer to the next. It really depends on what type of work they see on a regular basis. We however will only get a deisel truck in here if it needs an oil change.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:53 PM

i've had the same problem on a 96 Dodge truck with Cummins motors,dealer wanted to sell me the complete pump, WTF? After pulling the pump, i got the seal out went to Napa and found a seal that was the same size(must of spend 2 hours at Napa looking for 1 that fits lol)