Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle Tech Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle

Need some advice...

Old 01-15-2006, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need some advice...

I'm still kinda new to this, so I'd thought I would ask before I went out and bought anything. Which is better for the SRT-4, Cold Air Intake or Short Ram? Which has the most power gains? What brand to buy? What is everyone else using? Let me know, thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:51 AM
FML

many say that a aftermarket intake makes less than the stock airbox. im not sure i have seen dynos go both ways on this. if your gonna buy a intake get a short ram so there is no risk of your motor using it as a straw when it rains hard in the summer. i have a injen sri and i love it. cant say that it makes more power but it sounds insane and it makes workin under the hood alot easier. just my .02
Old 01-16-2006, 08:29 AM

I have a K&N full CAI and i love it and the way it sits in in the bumper you'd have to go through some pretty deep water to suck up water it sits a good 3 to 4 inches inside the front bumper before the fender well and it's surrounded by for sides so it's not catching in water from the side and you can do like me and get the AEM release valve that when a large amount of water gets sucked in it stops the upwards pressure untill the water drains out. If you want more info on it go to www.sportcompactcarweb.com and read about them. Anyway back to the CAI like HMCK20 said about the sound it's awesome before I put the BOV on mine people thought I had a BOV because you can hear every little sound the turbo makes it's great. That's my .02 cents as well.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:40 AM

The temperature of the air from the intake isn't quite as important as the amount of flow you get from the intake. Whatever air you pull in through the intake hot or cold is going to have to go through a 1000+ degree turbo before ever seeing the motor so you want to focus on flowing as much air as possible. The stock intake is very good at doing this but in order to get a nice sound you need to remove the box. All I did is removed the air box and put a K+N on and it works great, but again no evidence either way hp wise.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:42 PM
FML

Originally Posted by CobraSpdRH
The temperature of the air from the intake isn't quite as important as the amount of flow you get from the intake. Whatever air you pull in through the intake hot or cold is going to have to go through a 1000+ degree turbo before ever seeing the motor so you want to focus on flowing as much air as possible. The stock intake is very good at doing this but in order to get a nice sound you need to remove the box. All I did is removed the air box and put a K+N on and it works great, but again no evidence either way hp wise.

did you just take the lid off? cause your still gonna need the iat sensor. or are you just lettin it hang there? someone else on here was doin that. he said the iat was needed.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:44 PM
FML

Originally Posted by Nolimitslja
I have a K&N full CAI and i love it and the way it sits in in the bumper you'd have to go through some pretty deep water to suck up water it sits a good 3 to 4 inches inside the front bumper before the fender well and it's surrounded by for sides so it's not catching in water from the side and you can do like me and get the AEM release valve that when a large amount of water gets sucked in it stops the upwards pressure untill the water drains out. If you want more info on it go to www.sportcompactcarweb.com and read about them. Anyway back to the CAI like HMCK20 said about the sound it's awesome before I put the BOV on mine people thought I had a BOV because you can hear every little sound the turbo makes it's great. That's my .02 cents as well.

yea the aem valve works good i had it on my aem cai for my rsx type s for awhile but then i sold it and got a v2 rollercoaster intake!
Old 01-16-2006, 05:01 PM

well if your just looking for sound just remove the stock air box and put a cone filter on the end(what they call a ricer intake)...we did it to my friends srt and it sounded pretty loud and like said above it made it sound like it had a louder than stock bov. cold air or short ram i dont think would make a difference because of it going through the hot ass turbo like CobraSpdRH said.i think you need something with more air volume for the turbo to suck in so just see what has the biggest diamater tubing. to me its not worth wasting the money on it....the cold air ones are prety expensive just go and buy a used nitrous kit or something. but i will agree that a after market intake does make it easier to work under the hood, it simplifies things in the mess of vac. lines and whatever else is in the way.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:45 PM

IMO if you're gonna stay with the stock turbo for awhile,,, invest the $$'s in a sts and motor mounts before a CAI.... eliminate as much wheel hop as possible !!!!!
just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by Gooser
just cause you have a cowl hood on your Honda doesn't mean you can hang out here.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:10 PM
you KNOW you see me!

Originally Posted by slow poke
IMO if you're gonna stay with the stock turbo for awhile,,, invest the $$'s in a sts and motor mounts before a CAI.... eliminate as much wheel hop as possible !!!!!
just my 2 cents.
wurd...
Old 01-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Boost Addict

Drop in filter hands down. I was making more power with the stock box and the bottle than with an aftermarket intake. That is dyno proven... I dropped about 2whp.