Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle Tech Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Eagle

timing issue

Old 09-17-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing issue

has any one heard of the crank being lined up in time but still 180 deg off so it acts like it still doesnt have comp.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Peon on steroids!

nope...as long as the crank and timing gears are lined up its fine...BUT if they are aftermarket came gears with 2 sets of locating holes, it is possible to put the cam gears on 180 degrees off...I did that once myself...cant do it with stock cam gears though, unless you drilled another set of holes anyway
Old 09-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Grandpa

Losen the dist and turn it 180 deg and retry.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:15 AM
Peon on steroids!

oh yes, might help if you tell us what type of car it is...and what engine
Old 09-18-2005, 12:53 PM

98 neon rtand i was talkin crank shaft
Old 09-18-2005, 12:59 PM

"Had same problem initially with my daughter's '96 after replacing several valves following a broken timing belt at highway speed. The cam sprocket and crankshaft timing marks will align every two crankshaft revolutions so you are probably 180 degrees out. Align the marks and remove the timing belt then rotate the crankshaft one revolution until the marks are again aligned then replace the belt and you should be fine."

this is what one guy says on another site any one explain it to me?
Old 09-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Peon on steroids!

forget that, just line up the teeth(not the marks, the marks just show which teeth are supposed to be aligned) line up the teeth on the cam gears, and the TDC indicator on the crankshaft sproket with the mark on the oil pump and you should be set to go...does try to shift around a bit sometimes with the mechanical tensioner and can be tricky though, after putting on the t-belt, turn the crank a few times and make sure all the timing marks are still aligned
Old 09-18-2005, 07:34 PM
"?"

Originally Posted by kapenna
"Had same problem initially with my daughter's '96 after replacing several valves following a broken timing belt at highway speed. The cam sprocket and crankshaft timing marks will align every two crankshaft revolutions so you are probably 180 degrees out. Align the marks and remove the timing belt then rotate the crankshaft one revolution until the marks are again aligned then replace the belt and you should be fine."

this is what one guy says on another site any one explain it to me?
I though 2.0l couldn't survive a timing belt break.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Peon on steroids!

what part of "after replacing several valves" did you not read? it doesnt damgeengine...all it the does is bend the valves...sometimes minor headwork is required though...this may or may not be one of those times
Old 09-22-2005, 02:46 PM

yeah thanks , i bought a 98 rt with broken timing belt 4 900$ i knew what could possibly be wrong with it and it was bad. i replaced the timing assembly put it back together and no turn over my compression was 0-50-0-0 so time for a rebuild. im builing a race engine so im gonna have questions in the next few weeks, anyways i pulled the head 2 bent valves, stripped the head and went to the junkyard to get an extra head to play with when i pulled the head in the junk yard the number 3 piston was shattered so this guy had a bad timing break. never seen this before, usually just head damage but this was crazy. i tell u what i have so far

12.1-1 je pistons
je rings
clevite man and rod bearings
stock rods
decked .10 head
pnp head
crane valve springs
crane #18
tti long tube headers
pnp intake manifold
60 mm throttle body
srt4 rims which i havent seen before on a first gen