The Champagne Room Members Only Forum

Need info on Servers

Old 03-13-2003, 05:30 AM
drives euro trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on Servers

My boss delegated the responsibility to find out more information on servers...something I know absolutely nothing about. I'm hoping Aharon, Zate, and whoever else can help me out here.

Why we may need a server:
We are starting a new online research survey service to offer our clients. We have a special program that allows us to design a survey, but it needs to be hosted to a website. Also, the current company who hosts our website and takes care of our email refuses to allow us to send mass emails due to the spamming issues.

What we need to do with the server:
We obviously need to host multiple surveys at one time. The software package requires uploading a program for data collection as well. We also need to be able to send mass emails to opt-in addresses, as well as purchased lists. It would be nice to be able to host our own site as well.

I have to tell you I am not exactly computer savvy, but I am a quick learner. This has to be relatively "user friendly", or something I would easily be able to learn.

What kind of server would we need? Would we still need RoadRunner? Please tell me everything there is to know........in language I can understand.

I appreciate the help.

Alan
Old 03-19-2003, 03:06 PM
drives euro trash

Thanks for the info Zate. Found out this week that money is pretty tight right due to growing pains, so I think we may just go with a different ISP to host our site/surveys until expansion creates a need for our own in-house server.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:35 PM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by Force Fed 23
In my opinion, you REALLY have to be serious about this stuff and have ALOT of use for it to take a server in-house these days. Web hosting is so damned cheap nowdays, by the time you buy equipment and a circuit (still pretty expensive) its just cheaper to pay someone else to worry about it.
Good point. We also took a look at the constant upgrade aspect. It seems better equipment comes out everyday, and I think I'd rather not have to worry about upgrading every year or so. Eventually we may have no choice but to have our own in-house equipment, but I think that is going to be a few years from now.