The Champagne Room Members Only Forum

defying logic...

Old 05-28-2001, 08:52 AM
Duty, Honor, Country

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make it a Mountain Dew and a Marlboro and you are on! lol

Ill bring my dyno numbers and timeslips! lol

I think a lot of it always comes from alot of the anger and resentment from some of the past finally going away. Heck even me and craig have been civil! lol who would have thought that! hehe

Why do I feel like a pentecostal about to be taken to a Hindu temple and trying to keep an open mind about it?

Pulling the front wheels on 297RWHP!!

1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
350 cu.in. LT1 V8 from a 96 Camaro
700R4 Transmission
Old 05-28-2001, 10:19 AM
Duty, Honor, Country

I think the 4th Gen F-Body has spoiled me. I had old muscle before and you got used to it. Back in the 80s I bought a C4 L98 powered Corvette. It had tons of low end grunt but performmance wise it suffered. This was the era of the TBI Firebirds and Camaros and Ford has just went EFI on the 302 Mustangs and turned that into an abortion of impossible magnitude. I swore them off as gas guzzling pieces of dog feces and actually BOUGHT A HONDA! lol. I had the vette PCM die 3 times on the Interstate in 6 months. When that PCM went you lost everything Power Steering and brakes.. at 85MPH down I-75 it gets interesting.

I bought an 86 2.0 Si Prelude and it was a blast to drive. It wasnt fast or quick but the shifter was tight and it handled like it was on rails. I can see the draw to these cars. Well after 130000 miles things started breaking. The starter went out and I figured $50 and back on the road.. WRONG. Like $250 then 6 hours of putting it in. When I was done I looked like an Auswhitz survivor with the word HONDA branded to my forearm. After 3 or 4 repairs like that I sold the car and swore to never own another.

Well I beat around in whatever for a few years till I bought my 95 TA.. my GOD! I couldnt believe how much this thing had bone stock! It was the fastest car I had ever owned. I had helped build some stout rides but never one of my own and this thing was going 14.1 literally bone stock which impressed me big time. So I got back into the mod game and realized parts were WAY expensive.. but for $1000 I was running 13.1. A second for $1000 is a bargain in my book. Granted for $2000 you can go 12.0 in an LT1 but after that the price goes WAY up because you have to go internal to get more and it aint cheap. Every engine has its wall that only money will punch through.

These LT1/LS1 cars are incredible with what they give you upfront and the amount of tuning and bolt on performance just laying there ready to be taped. We have many many LT1/LS1 guys in low low 12s without ever lifting a valve gasket. Bang for the buck says thats the way to go. my best freind has a TA but he bought his wife a 98 Prelude. I was amazed how much it had changed since 86 it felt like driving a go kart! I was badly dissapointed with it and even with the mystical VTEC I could beat him in a Bonnevile ! So I really gave up on the performace cars because every time I would play with one I would torch it didnt seem they were even in the same leauge with the New breed of domestics. At the track it was worse the attitudes and sarcasm shown to us by the import crowd.. really intimidating since they wold hang in gangs almost and taunt everyone who wnet by but once on the track it was brutal! I became further convinced that an import had no place on a drag strip. I did see a couple super fast imports but with the exception of a certain 11 sec supra from Lauderdale none were really streetable.

But in reading a lot of stuff here and elsewhere I am beginnning to see that while not cost effective it is fairly easy to make a low 13 second import if you get the write motor/chasis combo. Like the old days of dropping a built small block into a Pinto. Sure it looked stupid but it ran like hell! lol

I have gotten to know the CLUB DSM guys fairly well and have known Teal Talon for awhile now and if I HAD to go import I would probably go 1st gen DSM simply because of all I have seen it looks as if those cars started out with the most.. within reason not talking about 40K Supras and stuff. Hehehe I feel kinda weird talking like this but learning something new usually makes you feel a little foolish.

700R4 Transmission
Old 05-28-2001, 10:41 AM
Just Ledoux it!

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by BackinBlack
I bought an 86 2.0 Si Prelude and it was a blast to drive. It wasnt fast or quick but the shifter was tight and it handled like it was on rails. I can see the draw to these cars. Well after 130000 miles things started breaking. The starter went out and I figured $50 and back on the road.. WRONG. Like $250 then 6 hours of putting it in. When I was done I looked like an Auswhitz survivor with the word HONDA branded to my forearm. After 3 or 4 repairs like that I sold the car and swore to never own another.
That threshold is coming up rather quickly for me..

Old 05-28-2001, 10:43 AM
Duty, Honor, Country

I think everycar made period is designed to fail after 100K

700R4 Transmission
Old 05-28-2001, 10:49 AM
Just Ledoux it!

The dsm cars are fun I just got my 90 awd eclipse I paid like 2800 for it it has high mileage but is not my primary transportation which is good casue everybody on gods green earth thinks I am going to grenade it just as long as the bottem end stays together I could care less about what breaks next. But they can be found in good shape for less than 3 grand should ya ever wanna get one.
Old 05-28-2001, 10:52 AM
Just Ledoux it!

Hence huyndais massive warranty..seriously the ford I had help up remarkably well and was easy to fix...parts were easy to find but the hondas dont repsond well to abuse and parts arent cheap.