The Champagne Room Members Only Forum

I dont usually rant...BUT...

Old 12-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Tom
Strict Machine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dont usually rant...BUT...

Okay, ive been at my job around 5 years now. I am a dental technician, i make crowns and bridges (dental prosthetics)...i started out with what base pay should be...i am a "skilled technician" and i learned my trade on-the-job (from my mom who also works there). I have honed my skills and have gotten better at what i do by leaps and bounds over the years.
My bosses son also works with me and does exactly what i do and i have surpassed his craftsmanship and detail...

I have still not gotten a raise. I asked for one nearly 6 months ago and the boss verbally agreed... and yes, 6 months later, i HAVENT gotten one!

I want to know what to do next...

Should i, go in there and ask a 2nd time and get what would be an extra $50 a week, should i go and ask for more like $100 a week (because i havent gotten a raise even after 5 years) ...or should i go elsewhere and demand atleast $200+/week right off the bat (im def worth that much)

wtf do i do...feel free to express your opinions. But id like to mention that if me and my family werent so close to my boss things would be different, but i am being "nice" in this whole situation even tho hes a cheap fuck. I do however deserve atleast some sort of "cost of living" raise or whatever, even the government gives thier employees that.

thx all
Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Captain Catastrophe

I think you need to go in there and ask for the $100/week raise. That's not unreasonable considering you've been there for 5 years AND the fact that you were promised a raise and never got it.

People gotta survive, your boss will understand that. Just make sure to present it to him in a polite way and not in the 'wtf dude? i haven't gotten my raise you cheap fuck' style
Old 12-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Tom
Strict Machine

oh i am always polite and courteous... i would actually feel bad asking him because i dont want to seem demanding, but i think i deserve the money and need it... I am not being greedy... but people have to live.

He is very cheap, we were going to build a whole new laboratory from scratch, even have our own building but my boss and his family blow thier money on themselves and now we cant have our new lab... the place is 21 years old btw, and in DESPERATE need of renovation...

just food for thought.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:12 PM
drives euro trash

Make sure your request is in line with what other techs of similar skill and tenure earn. Salary.com may help you out a bit.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Tom
Strict Machine

My job title isnt listed on salary.com i emailed them to add it... any other similar sites?

god i wish my work was big enough to have an HR dept. it'd make it so much easier.

Last edited by Tom; 12-20-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:53 PM
drives euro trash

Originally Posted by Tom
My job title isnt listed on salary.com i emailed them to add it... any other similar sites?

god i wish my work was big enough to have an HR dept. it'd make it so much easier.
HR departments aren't all they are cracked up to be. I work for a multi-billion dollar company and my raise has been pushed off for about 4-months now. Disorganization runs rampant in any company regardless of size.

As John said, definately good idea to throw a resume together and start looking. The last 5-years have probably given you a good picture of how they treat their employees in regards to raises. I wouldn't expect much out of them.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Tom
Strict Machine

BUT... job security is there.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:07 PM
drives euro trash

True, but with your skill level I would think someone of your experience would be in fairly high demand....which is job security in itself. I'd discretely shop around for another job. When you find another higher paying position somewhere else you can then use this as leverage for a raise at your current position. If they say "no way", you can give yourself the raise by taking the other job and telling your current employer to screw off.