Car Audio For Sale Strictly Car Audio / ICE related For Sale/WTB threads.

Need Pioneer AVIC-d3 installed in my 2002 Passat

Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Pioneer AVIC-d3 installed in my 2002 Passat

I have all the things needed. The trim kit, the cage, the wiring harnesses the antenna adapter gps antenna and such. I want to get this installed and Id rather not pay the 70 bucks that everywhere wants to charge. If you have a shop or actually KNOW what you are doing PM me or call me at 813 484 2327
my names Chris
Old 06-23-2009, 09:58 AM

All I'd like to mention is take a look at the other stories of "buddy" or "cheap" installs on this very board and others, and understand that you get what you pay for every time. You've got a CAN network in that car and special care needs to be taken not to damage it during installation. There is also a special interface that is far more than a wiring harness. You may also have OEM amplifiers that need to be integrated properly.

Keep all of these things in mind as you search for a shadetree "installer" to work on your nice German car, and understand that repairs will cost FAR FAR more than a proper installation.
727-573-2626
www.audioexpertonline.com

Audio Expert's Facebook site

Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Maximaniac

I'd like to add that 70 bucks is a pretty good price for a double din nav install if you were quoted it by a legitimate professional shop, especially for a unit they aren't selling you and one that is also used. If I had a dollar for every time a customer who has told me "I have everything I need, I just need you to install it" and then was missing parts, I could retire. Not saying you are one of these people, but just keep in mind that the other side of the coin from the shop's perspective is that it is typically a bigger hassle to install used customer provided equipment than it is new.

Also, if you are looking for recommendations as to shops to check out, post up your general location and we might be able to direct you better.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:56 PM
All American, rice eater!

$45
Old 06-23-2009, 04:45 PM

"All the Above".

Go back a few days and see a story just like yours. See the s**t storm it caused and how he messed the poor dudes' car up over a $20 deck install (a highly simple one at that-not anything like yours)!

$70 is a decent price for the install for that car. And as Luke mentioned, I HOPE you have the correct interface harness/ box. If you just have a cage and a Pioneer wire harness sitting in your parts collection, you are indeed short on parts. There is also a little custom fabrication to get a D3 to look right in that hole since there is no kit made for that car (that part is not a big deal for shops that have done them but if your "installer" is not a qualified fabricator, you will not be happy with the final finish.

I am not even going to go into what kinds of problems you will end up with going that route. I can tell you this, by now, you should be getting a few PM's from other long-time TR members telling you about our couple of shops on here that have taken care of their aftermaths from letting the wrong guy do the install.

Good luck with that one. As with Luke, we do not claim to be the cheapest nor the most expensive. We just claim to do the job perfectly everytime, as we have done for TR members and the like for YEARS. It has saved ALLOT of members ALLOT of grief and money...

MCOR Automotive LLC
mcorautomotivellc@verizon.net
www.mcorautomotive.com
1635 Dale Mabry Hwy Ste 3
Lutz, FL 33548

(813) 362-5454

"TR Official 12V Shop"- Automotive Audio/Video/Security (JL Audio, Alpine, Hertz/Audiosn, ARC Audio), Window/Tail Lamp Tint, Custom Wheels, Clear Shield, automotive upholstery and leather conversions, "All the Above!"
Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM

I do have the Pioneer wiring the METRA harness for VSS, SPEED and such and the cage and the trim. I did my research and know what i have. I have the antenna adapter and everything else. I know not to get this done at a shady shop but Im trying to find a place to do it LESS than 85. It doesnt take that long (1 hour tops) so I feel that I can find a shop to do it for a little cheaper. I called VIP audio, where I got my subs speakers amps and deck installed a year ago and just found out they will charge 65 without doing the bypass (I already did it). 45 is a price I would pay as long as its from a legit shop
Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Well, understand that you get what you pay for in the automotive electronics arena. A shop that will do it for you at that price ($45) can afford to, only because they skimp on things like insurance, properly trained installers, etc. It doesn't take that long your right--for a professional! Which means you are paying for their speed, skills, proper tools (and knowledge of how to use them), and ability to do the job properly. I am sure you will be hard to convince otherwise, so I would love to hear about your experience at the professional shop that will agree to do this install in an hour for $45. I would also like to see what the wiring behind the unit looks like, and how well they get it fitted in the dash. Be sure to post results. I repeat, good luck with that one...

Originally Posted by 02passat
I do have the Pioneer wiring the METRA harness for VSS, SPEED and such and the cage and the trim. I did my research and know what i have. I have the antenna adapter and everything else. I know not to get this done at a shady shop but Im trying to find a place to do it LESS than 85. It doesnt take that long (1 hour tops) so I feel that I can find a shop to do it for a little cheaper. I called VIP audio, where I got my subs speakers amps and deck installed a year ago and just found out they will charge 65 without doing the bypass (I already did it). 45 is a price I would pay as long as its from a legit shop

MCOR Automotive LLC
www.mcorautomotive.com
Lutz, FL 33548

(813) 362-5454

"TR Official 12V Shop"- Automotive Audio/Video/Security (JL Audio, Alpine, Hertz/Audiosn, ARC Audio), Window/Tail Lamp Tint, Custom Wheels, Clear Shield, automotive upholstery and leather conversions, "All the Above!"
Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 PM

with my 20+ years experience i am sure a job like this i can handle, no i am not a real shop but i have more tools and equiptment than most shops in the area, i am able to do installs cheaper because i dont have any overhead. I have time Thursday night if you are interested in having this done.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by GradeA_TireFryer
with my 20+ years experience i am sure a job like this i can handle, no i am not a real shop but i have more tools and equiptment than most shops in the area, i am able to do installs cheaper because i dont have any overhead. I have time Thursday night if you are interested in having this done.

That wasn't a knock against you Grade A (but you knew that). He was referencing that he wanted an actual shop to do it for that pricing. Overhead is another good explanation as to why he will have a hard time finding a legitimate shop to do it for your $45.

MCOR Automotive LLC
www.mcorautomotive.com
Lutz, FL 33548

(813) 362-5454

Old 06-23-2009, 06:52 PM

i didnt think so, if someone doesnt go for your shop prices and my individual prices, they gamble with what they get, a shop price around $80 labor is not bad as this will probable take about 1 1/2 hours and at todays labor rates of around $75 hour, thats not a good deal.