Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Finished race bike

Old 01-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished race bike

Hey guys this is kind of an update to my last post. I have finished the paint on my zx6r race bike. After looking around at different paints I figured i would try the Dupli Color paint shop line. I have read a lot of different things about this and wanted to see for my self if it was crap or not. Well to tell you the truth it is not bad for the cost. I am not saying it is better than other paint, but for my need it is great. Also it is very easy, there is no mixing, reducing, hardening. Nothing. Just pour and spray. Also i made a paint booth again. This time a little bit bigger and it is great, easy to set up and easy to clean up. It only cost about $15 for the plastic and $2 for a roll of masking tape. Also the paint cost about $60 for 1 black, 1 red, and 1 can of clear. The total process took about 2 days form star to finish. Here is how it went.

Here is the supplies:

And here is the making of the paint booth:

The parts and inside the booth:

Painting:

After the first color (black) was laid i refitted the parts on the bike to line up the two-tone paint job:

Now masking everything off:

Now laying the red:

And i had to do a little custom something (this is not a sticker this is air brushed on, not to bad for my first time):

After laying the clear and letting it dry i ripped down the paint both for easy clean up:

The bike stripped:

And the bike back together with the new paint:

And last but not least, the race numbers:

Hope you guys liked it and see you out on the track.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Scuderia ALRI

looks nice. I'm not a fan of Duplicolor but it came out good. Another thing, is "gardian" spelled right? i always thought it was spelled guardian.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:03 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Kudos to you man. It looks good for what its purpose is gonna be.

And yes, its spelled "guardian".
Old 01-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Down Since Day 1

nice job...how did u like the clear? i was lookin at this line of paint for re doing mine...how many coats did you do of each, and did u wet sand it or no?

"Tampa Stock"... Where u at?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:32 PM
teh clit wiggler

spelled it wrong, supposed to be guardian.

good job with the paint scheme. i might have to do my kawi in this color but candy apple red and black.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:06 PM
2WheelsFTW

came out great dude, makes me wish id just manup and buy a trackbike already
Old 01-20-2008, 10:03 PM

Ok, ok, ok i should have said in the first post it is a person thing why "gardian" is spelled like that. I know it is mis-spelled. The guy that made the stencil (sp?) keep asking me if i was sure. Thanks for pointing it out though. LOL
Old 01-20-2008, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by b16sleeper
nice job...how did u like the clear? i was lookin at this line of paint for re doing mine...how many coats did you do of each, and did u wet sand it or no?

I did thre coats of black and three of red. With 4 coats of clear. I didin't wetsand it, but it needs it. It also isn't as shiny as other clears, but i have been told that it will get brighter if you wet sand it. But i am not going to waste the time or money it came out good enough for the track. If you take your time it will come out nice. It is all about the prep.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:52 PM
He's no good to me dead

Good job, I painted using the duplicolor clear and it turned out to be a waste of time and $$ for me I thought since I got a discount on it for being at Autozone I'd try it.... yep ruined the base coat I paid decent $ for. Oh well lesson learned. For a track bike I guess thats all you need.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 AM

I love the garage set up man... Its very cools seeing all your progressive pics... finaly product looks great... ide rep you but it wont let me yet... very nice...You should see if sweetbay will pay you for advertising lol