Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Question about chain lube.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:17 PM
en5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about chain lube.

My manual recomends using SAE 90 or something heavy to lube the chain. My question is, would it hurt to use a Chain & Cable Lube that they sell from an autoparts store?

This bottle I have in the garage is labeled as "Chain and Cable Lube" and is described as "a petrolium-based product compound with additives to give the best possible lubrication. Repels dirt, sand, mud and grass. It has ionized attraction for all metal surfaces. Increases ram life - no binding." Etc... bla bla.

So is this cool to use on my chain? Also, how much lube is enough? And should I be washing the chain off completely? If so, how do you clean the whole chain off without hurting it?

I feel like if I can do a transmission swap on a car, I should be able to clean a little chain on a bike. So please, help me out with some basic info if you have a sec. Thanks guys!
Old 08-11-2007, 03:36 PM

personally, I use WD-40 and a grunge brush to clean my cahin, then I rinse if off with a garden hose, wipe most the water off and let air dry for about 10 mins, then I ride it and warm the cahin up then apply a light coat of chain lube (I only use Motul) let that set up and then add another coat ( just like sparay painting - add a first thin coat then re-apply as needed )

to answer your question about the cahin lube, it sopunds like it it chain saw lube, I wouldnt use that,, the "petrolium-based" additives might damage the o-rings in your motorcycle chain.
I would say get a godd can of motul chain lube @ any cycle shop. there are a few other good brands out there, you want to find something that will semi dri to the chain, that way you dont get chain lube all over the swingarm, tail or even yourself

'04 GSXR 750
I'm so far behind, I think I'm first

need tires (take offs)? PM me
need a deal on a track day? PM me

disclaimer: I sell used tires (take-offs), these tires have been used at Jennings, Homestead, etc. (road courses for those that dont know) therefor these tires are more used up on the sides than in the middle,
Old 08-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Mofongo Expert!

I'd made sure it is something that does not collect dirt once it sets in if you must use lube... The collected dirt just grinds away at everything.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:19 PM
en5

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll just go pick up a thing of 90 for $10 and it will last me quite a while.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Dragging Plastics

Originally Posted by en5
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll just go pick up a thing of 90 for $10 and it will last me quite a while.

That junk will fling all over the place. You and your bike are going to be a mess. Try Maxima Chain Wax.
Do you have to argue over stupid pointless shit on the Internet?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:47 AM
en5

Originally Posted by DogBoneR1
That junk will fling all over the place. You and your bike are going to be a mess. Try Maxima Chain Wax.

Heh, well this is exactly what I purchased already only I got the NAPA brand. It's in a spray bottle just like the Maxima stuff.

I also have a bottle of Liquid Wrench bike chain lube in a spray bottle. This is what I'm going to use I think, since I can't find Maxima around here and it's going to be pretty much the same stuff. The bottles even state that they do the same things. *shrug*
Old 08-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Resident Asshole

you can find maxima at almost any bike shop.
6/14/43 - 7/11/06 2:24am
Old 08-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Ridin dirty

Just remember when the rollers are shinny they are in need of some lube.
New best time @ Jennings 1:25.4
Old 08-16-2007, 02:24 PM

how many miles on any one's chain ?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by kegaration
how many miles on any one's chain ?

depends on how you maintain it, keep it adjusted within specs,and the abuse you cause to it.

my fist bike I got about 20K, the next bike got about 15K, my Aprilia had 10 or 12 K before I sold it and it was still in great shape, and well my GSXR had a new chain put on when it got new sprockets and I couldnt tell ya how many miles ago that was (I have no odometer)

'04 GSXR 750
I'm so far behind, I think I'm first

need tires (take offs)? PM me
need a deal on a track day? PM me

disclaimer: I sell used tires (take-offs), these tires have been used at Jennings, Homestead, etc. (road courses for those that dont know) therefor these tires are more used up on the sides than in the middle,