Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Bike Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/bike-tech/)
-   -   Question about chain lube. (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/bike-tech/417131-question-about-chain-lube.html)

en5 08-11-2007 03:17 PM

Question about chain lube.

My manual recomends using SAE 90 or something heavy to lube the chain. My question is, would it hurt to use a Chain & Cable Lube that they sell from an autoparts store?

This bottle I have in the garage is labeled as "Chain and Cable Lube" and is described as "a petrolium-based product compound with additives to give the best possible lubrication. Repels dirt, sand, mud and grass. It has ionized attraction for all metal surfaces. Increases ram life - no binding." Etc... bla bla.

So is this cool to use on my chain? Also, how much lube is enough? And should I be washing the chain off completely? If so, how do you clean the whole chain off without hurting it?

I feel like if I can do a transmission swap on a car, I should be able to clean a little chain on a bike. So please, help me out with some basic info if you have a sec. Thanks guys!

wolfey971 08-11-2007 03:36 PM

personally, I use WD-40 and a grunge brush to clean my cahin, then I rinse if off with a garden hose, wipe most the water off and let air dry for about 10 mins, then I ride it and warm the cahin up then apply a light coat of chain lube (I only use Motul) let that set up and then add another coat ( just like sparay painting - add a first thin coat then re-apply as needed )

to answer your question about the cahin lube, it sopunds like it it chain saw lube, I wouldnt use that,, the "petrolium-based" additives might damage the o-rings in your motorcycle chain.
I would say get a godd can of motul chain lube @ any cycle shop. there are a few other good brands out there, you want to find something that will semi dri to the chain, that way you dont get chain lube all over the swingarm, tail or even yourself

racerraul 08-11-2007 05:39 PM

I'd made sure it is something that does not collect dirt once it sets in if you must use lube... The collected dirt just grinds away at everything.

en5 08-11-2007 06:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll just go pick up a thing of 90 for $10 and it will last me quite a while.

DogBoneZX10 08-11-2007 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by en5 (Post 4472709)
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'll just go pick up a thing of 90 for $10 and it will last me quite a while.

That junk will fling all over the place. You and your bike are going to be a mess. Try Maxima Chain Wax.

en5 08-12-2007 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by DogBoneR1 (Post 4472794)
That junk will fling all over the place. You and your bike are going to be a mess. Try Maxima Chain Wax.

Heh, well this is exactly what I purchased already only I got the NAPA brand. It's in a spray bottle just like the Maxima stuff.

I also have a bottle of Liquid Wrench bike chain lube in a spray bottle. This is what I'm going to use I think, since I can't find Maxima around here and it's going to be pretty much the same stuff. The bottles even state that they do the same things. *shrug*

Boostin97SE-R 08-12-2007 08:50 AM

you can find maxima at almost any bike shop.

Nick 08-12-2007 10:05 AM

Just remember when the rollers are shinny they are in need of some lube.

kegaration 08-16-2007 02:24 PM

how many miles on any one's chain ?

wolfey971 08-16-2007 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by kegaration (Post 4490883)
how many miles on any one's chain ?

depends on how you maintain it, keep it adjusted within specs,and the abuse you cause to it.

my fist bike I got about 20K, the next bike got about 15K, my Aprilia had 10 or 12 K before I sold it and it was still in great shape, and well my GSXR had a new chain put on when it got new sprockets and I couldnt tell ya how many miles ago that was (I have no odometer)