Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Serious question

Old 06-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Called the amba lamps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious question

This is for anyone who has been hospitalized by an accident caused by a car who turned in front of you while riding....

How did you get past the "rational" fear so you could ride again? I miss riding alot.... but everytime I get on a bike, all I can think of is how vunerable I am....

I don't want to think of myself as a "pussy".... but.... Is it normal to feel fear? And if so.... when does that fear turn from a healthy, alert kind of thing, into a hazard?

I am at a crossroads, I want to ride again.... but my brain tells me to live a long life......and riding does not fit that mold.....

All comments are appreciated, just don't hate.... I went through alot....

Last edited by **CHRIS**; 06-21-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:26 PM
danse

It is totally natural to feel fear, but if you're feeling terror, it's not time. I've read plenty of stories on hdforums written by guys who have gone through accidents similar to what you are describing, but haven't (and hope not to) experienced it myself. I am a relatively new rider, so the high level awareness is still ever present for me, but the fear is gone. It took some time and there came a point where I was just ready to let go. Remember that life is temporary, no matter what we do, and safety is often nothing more than an illusion. I bet that you will ride again, but it sounds like you might not be ready. Stop worrying about anyone who might deem you a "pussy", because chances are nearly 100% that whoever is administering the label is completely full of shit anyway. When considering that sort of judgment, I remind myself that 99% of people today=shit on feet, and poof, any worrying I did about their opinion magically disappears.

Take your time man, enjoy the little things, and get back on two wheels when you're ready, but not until you're ready. The time will come, just have faith in yourself.

Want to know what the war in Iraq is really costing America? Click here
Old 06-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Mofongo Expert!

I didn't have a car run in front of me, but I did have a recent hospital stay & surgery back in Jan 25th and I can tell you that I am still not 100% physically/mentally & emotionally.

I am finally feeling better and regaining confidence, and it just seems like time its taking care of it. As much as I'd like to rush things, I just can't.

St.Pete is a very busy city, I can understand how after a traffic accident getting back out there is very intimidating. I went down at the track and considering what I went through I was naturally ready to give up riding at one point or another.

There are no exercises, or things of that sort to help you out... In my experience time seems to be taking care of things. But ultimately I'll have to face the scene of my accident again... If you really want to ride again... you'll just have to go out a few times till the confidence returns.

AKA... Facing our fears...
Old 06-21-2007, 09:27 PM
tsb bike ho

Originally Posted by **CHRIS**
...How did you get past the "rational" fear so you could ride again? I miss riding alot.... but everytime I get on a bike, all I can think of is how vunerable I am....

I don't want to think of myself as a "pussy".... but.... Is it normal to feel fear? And if so.... when does that fear turn from a healthy, alert kind of thing, into a hazard?...
I try not to fear any situation, but I certainly do have a healthier respect for certain scenarios. If you feel your heartrate increase, you forget to breathe, grip your bars (or tank) tighter; then your fear is getting the better of you... and you're probably not ready to be back on two wheels yet. A year later, I still slow down more and breathe a little heavier when I approach the intersection that I slid through.

On the larger roads, I tend to ride in the center lane. This gives me more space to watch out for cars turning across a median AND avoid cars pulling out from side streets. Plus, it gives others more opportunity to see me. When I'm riding alone, I WILL change my lane position more; simply based on traffic and road conditions.

I don't know how you crashed, but if there is even one thing you can think of that *might* have changed the outcome; you may want to implement that into your riding. For example: if it was at night, make yourself more visible with more lights and reflective tape. I haven't put it on the new bike yet, but I had a modulating (flashing) headlight and it really helped with visibility during daylight hours.

You might want to consider taking an Advanced / Experienced Rider MSF course. Re-learning and practicing those skills, might help you shake off the dust and regain some of your confidence. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

P.S. -I do give you credit for facing those fears NOW, instead of blindly jumping on and then thinking about it.

I'm not riding fast... just flying at a low altitude!

Last edited by a69tarbaby; 06-21-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Banned

first of all you are NOT a pussy.

Second, Ive been in two major, a few more minor ones on bikes and both the majors where broken bone/ surgurys. Somehow the will to ride allways over comes the fear of death/injury for me a couple months later.

If it is the cars & others on the road that you fear, the buy a no title bike , track it out and only ride tracks. sure it will get costly. but you can ride a streetbike is a realtivly safe manor without fear of cars. OR switch to dirtbikes, no matter your situation there is allmost allways a way to ride again. i hope you figure out what will make you happy man. sometimes the dessions in life are easy, like what value meal we want at mc donalds, and some of them are like this and the outcome is against the human nature to presurve life for as long as possible.

good luck bro.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:26 AM
wants a blow job

Fuck the people that might call you a "pussy". It's your life.

My pops has been in several accidents and keeps getting back. Yeah it's totally common to be nervous at first, but it's what he loves doing. My view on it is no one lives forever and i'm not going to stop doing what I enjoy or live in fear. When my time comes it comes. I know thats not the most common attitude but thats how it is for me.

Also you might want to start off riding with a larger group of friends at first that understand what your feeling. With the large group you'll be alot more noticible and your friends might be able to pick up on things your doing wrong subconciously.

Over all though, just take your time and do things at your own pace, when and if you're ready to get back on you will. Until then though, just enjoy life and the other things that make you happy.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:11 AM
gone fishin

Brother I am scared of cars.
Thus I restrict my riding to rural roads as much as possible.

I am dangerous enough all by myself on a motorcycle.... it frightens me to add additional variables to which I have zero control of.

One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”

Thomas Sowell (American Writer and Economist, b.1930)
Old 06-22-2007, 06:09 AM

I went through the exact same thing after my accident... The first ten or fifteen times I got back on the bike I was terrified that cars were going to pull out in front of me, rear end me at lights, etc. It just takes time in the saddle with nothing bad happening to remind you that getting hit is an exception, not the rule. The more time you put between you and your accident the easier it will get.

Just like everyone else said, I also adjusted my riding habits to try to reduce the risk of getting hit as much as possible. Now I do things like always wear gear, flash my brake lights when I am the last person in line at a red light, watch behind me when I am stopped to make sure I am not going to get plowed, leave the bike in gear until there is someone stopped behind me so I can get out of the way if it looks like someone is going to not stop in time, make better lane choice decisions, actually think about the stuff they teach in the MSF class, etc. There are tons of things you can do to reduce the risk, then it just takes time to get over the feeling that everyone on the road is out there to kill you.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 AM
they call me baby Jesus

yo whenever u wanna get on a bike and you want someone to ride with hit me up, ill pm you my number... i'll lead or what not so u can build that convidence again of not fearing the cars so much.. shit im scared of cars when im in my car because of a serious accident i was in... i could imagine what a bike is like.. it'll take time and what not but take little steps at a time and than ull build that convidence once again and have no problem jumping on it again.. gotta work on that memory block.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by f2b
shit im scared of cars when im in my car because of a serious accident i was in.
me to man, your not alone... bad accidents are forever in your head while on the road, no matter what your driving/ riding or w/e. Im even worse when its not me driving, or someone who hasent been in an acciident or tailgates, omfg, im like a nervous wreck.