Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

new auto-x location???

Old 04-08-2003, 07:20 PM
All Aboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new auto-x location???

after going to a devil rays game i was wondering if an auto-x could be held at tropicana field. the parking lots have plenty of space...etc.

what does everyone else think?

and i can make some calls if a few others think this would be a nice location.

thanks, chet
Old 04-10-2003, 07:39 PM

I've never been there, so haven't seen the parking. Is it wide-open space? No stupid islands or curbing at the edges (unless there's enough space that it doesn't matter) or anything like that?

Usually, big stadiums want big bucks to rent their lots. Some won't even rent you just the lot, they expect you to rent the facility.

But if the place is REALLY worth pursuing, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

If you can get some rough measurements, maybe even sketch a map, I can give you a better idea of how suitable it would be.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:53 PM
It is gone

hey its closer... and i could try auto-x out finally... go for it
Old 04-10-2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by IntegraL
hey its closer... and i could try auto-x out finally... go for it
Closer than what? The site currently used by the SunRiders is pretty close to there. What's keeping you?
Old 04-10-2003, 08:05 PM
All Aboard

loren, there are islands but there is a lot of wide open space. i'd there are areas of pavement that are the same size as the current auto-x place, side by side with two islands. with some clever course designs there could be a really long auto-x course...

drive by there at some point and see what you think...as i'm still pretty new to all of this.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by chet

drive by there at some point and see what you think...as i'm still pretty new to all of this.
I understand, Chet. Even an experienced eye has to give a potential site a good hard look and actually do some measurements before they can be certain that it is good. That's why I asked for more detail.

I don't know if or when I'll ever get over there, maybe someone who lives in that area can give it a look?

Or... maybe eventually one of our more "experienced" folks will read this thread and have some history on whether it ever HAS been used for autocross... or why it hasn't.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:09 AM

FYI, I mentioned this potential site at the SunRiders board meeting last week. It HAS been investigated in the past and I was told they wanted $10k just to talk to us. About what I expected.

I went a step further (unintentionally, I was looking for something else) and found reference to it in the SunRiders mail group archives stating that it was actually "only" $2500. Still way out of our league.

So cross that one off the list, but keep your eyes open for more possibilities!