Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

is a 97z28 camaro a good auto-x car?

Old 02-21-2003, 06:33 PM
USMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a 97z28 camaro a good auto-x car?

is a automatic, 97 Z28 a good car for auto-cross?

if not, what mods would have to be done to make this a good car for auto cross?

sorry for the stupid question, but a friend of mine thinks his automatic z28 would be a great car for auto cross. i tell him an automatic trany is not good for autocross, he thinks otherwise. plus, isnt this car a little too heavy to be doing autocross?

in the quarter he runs 14.2, i run 14.9 in my crx. i tell him that i could get him if we were running autocross, due to less curb weight, less turning radius, better suspension, and FWD.

maybe im wrong, but could you guys answer these questions and set us straight before we start kickin each others ass.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:37 PM
is cooler than you

You can autox anything your little heart desires.

I've seen some badassed f-bodies out on the course before.....and the auto tranny would be fine to autox with too...especially in a car with that much power.

In autox.....it's more about driver skill than anything else. The car makes a difference.....but the driver makes more.

Old 02-21-2003, 06:44 PM
USMC

i read an article in super street last month in the back where this kid was asking them if a automatic supra would be a good car for auto cross. he wanted to buy a supra and wanted to auto cross. the guys there said the automatic is not practicle for auto-x plus the curb weight is high. and that it would cost too much money to turn a supra into an auto-x car.
TR happily married crew-member #2

This is the internet. You're just supposed to talk up whatever you do know as if you're a salesman for it. i.e. I drive a Supra and a Corolla therefore 2JZ is the greatest and so is the 4A and I don't care about anything else because it's all crap since I don't have it. I also have a stack of $20 bills in front of me, therefore 20>50 and 20>100 and 20>1000. $20 bill FTW.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:47 PM
is cooler than you

Hahaha, show up to a FSF event and you'll see an auto Supra kick some ass hardcore.

Besides, Super Street is crap. Just have your friend bring the car out and have some fun. Doesn't matter if it's the best car for it or not.....god only knows mine's not.

Old 02-22-2003, 10:19 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

exactly what lelsie is sayin..i have seen both an auto supra.. and an auto Fbody do really well (as in getting time of the day or close to it) at the FSF auto X's... but she was dead on when she said it was the driver that makes the diff.. just cos your CRX is small dont mean squat really... it might be a little easier to do well in.. but doesnt mean your gonna own him..hehe..

autox is about friendly competition. learning your cars (and your own) limits.. and above all.. FUN

i'll be at the next one gettin some major sideways action in the mach
Old 02-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Haul'n the Family

I witnessed a white 97-ish Z-28 with nuthin' but a Borla cat back system kick some major butt out at the Martin Sports Car club autocross in Orlando a couple of years ago. I have some video of it somewhere.
A NSX owner I spoke to, said the Z-28 driver was beating his NSX's times in a big way.
The Z-28 driver also knew what he was doing on the track.

In capable hands a V8 rear drive car is probably one of the best autocross vehicles. It's hard to drive fast, but if you can do it, you would be hard to catch.
Front driver vehicles have their inherent auto-x issues too. Understeer mostly. Also, when your turning wheels and driving wheels are one in the same, the results can be less than pleasing.

I remember an article recently in some import mag where they tested a stock Mustang GT against a Type-R on a race track. The GT walked all over the R by two seconds a lap!!!! And both cars were driven by import guys. I was suprised they even admitted the mustang's triumph in the article.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:26 PM
USMC

what mods would you do to a camaro to make it into a better auto-x car?
TR happily married crew-member #2

This is the internet. You're just supposed to talk up whatever you do know as if you're a salesman for it. i.e. I drive a Supra and a Corolla therefore 2JZ is the greatest and so is the 4A and I don't care about anything else because it's all crap since I don't have it. I also have a stack of $20 bills in front of me, therefore 20>50 and 20>100 and 20>1000. $20 bill FTW.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:32 PM
is cooler than you

suspension bars....stiffer springs......adjustable shocks......good tires.

Old 02-22-2003, 08:45 PM
Banned

1 Driver
2 Tires
3 Suspension
4 Power
Old 02-22-2003, 09:39 PM
All Aboard

while most of the import guys won't give the camaro or mustang any credit, the domestics won't give the nsx or type r any credit either...

so i'll begin by saying a camaro can be a good auto-x car with just hoosiers and stiffer springs.

although its mostly the driver, the shorter the wheelbase the faster a car will be through a traditional auto-x course. (thats saying the car has an equal power/weight ratio, good tires, good driver...)