Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Mobil 1 The Grid: Grassroots racing with the SCCA

Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 The Grid: Grassroots racing with the SCCA

This was supposedly on Speed this weekend but that CP Guys DVR didn't catch it. Fortuantely Perry B. was able to post it.

Grassroots Racing with the SCCA video | Mobil 1 The Grid

I'm really looking forward to Nationals.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 07-25-2012, 09:49 AM
4.6 liter Rice Cooker

Cool vid. Pretty motivational.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:26 PM

I like to autocross, I do it as much as possible, it does improve driving skills, and is relatively cheap, but after running stock cars and road racers, it just doesn't do it for me like actual competition on a road course or an oval. I did a lot of kart racing and that is a real good entry level sport, but these days you can dump over 10K in a competitive kart, and that is just stupid money. (as an example I used up over 5K in 1992 winning the Fla State Championship and ran more than 40 races that year, and that was without replacing any engines or frames) You will however, be able to get out of a kart and slide right into a serious open wheel race car with little problem (which is probably the reason the SCCA hates kart racers). In any case right now autocrossing is probably the biggest bang for the buck.

130 MPH Kart racing Formula cart racing Shifter kart. - YouTube
Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

I think they are trying to promote autocross because a lot of drivers make the transistion to club racing. With the economy still in a slump, membership decreasing, it's a cheaper way to get in and play or not give up on the race car until things get better for the individual.

Then you have PDX available to give them the taste of what could be there next step.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production