Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Anyone here do SCCA Club Racing?

Old 04-05-2005, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here do SCCA Club Racing?

As the title asks. Looking to start attending some SOLOII events and would like to get a regional license to maybe do some wheel-to-wheel racing. I was looking at the car classes in the handbook, where would an aftermarket forced induction 4 cylinder fall into place? I couldnt seem to find a class for it. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:08 AM
OUCH!!!

Read the rulebook. It's in there.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:41 AM

Just a guess, but I think it's SPO/SPU with the difference being under/over 2.5 L displacement. Hope that helps. They are also regional classes, so that's probably why you can't find info in the rulebook.

Jeremy

Old 04-05-2005, 01:18 PM

Here is a link to the SEDIV rules regarding cars that are not classed in the SCCA GCR that may run in regional events.

http://www.sedivracing.org/2005SEDiv...ClassRules.pdf
Old 04-05-2005, 05:59 PM
bad ass fonzie

just to be a stickler, solo II is autocrossing.
what you are talking about isnt solo anything.
road racing is great, but i'm afraid that with such parts on your car, you'd be forced into a class that just wouldnt be fun. it'd probably not be safe, either.
do you have a second car? if that 240 is your daily driver, you might want to reconsider- or get a second vehicle. you know the old adage, "if you can't afford to drive your car into a lake and leave it there, you can't afford to be on the track. .. "
there's other things, too- like the obscene costs, and so on. i'm not trying to turn you away or be a doodyhead, but i'm just trying to help out.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:37 PM
bad ass fonzie

i was bored; well, for a aftermarket turbo 240sx:
no turbos allowed in IT
you're not stock, so showroom is no good
definitely not american sedan
not a formula
Touring is for hi-end (corvette, ferrari) or hi-po versions (like the gsr integra) in near-stock condition - not you
GT is purpose-built fully blown racecars
and so on. you dont really fit anything except i guess SPO- because you're turbo. but i tell ya, that sounds scary- the races i found for SPO were mostly Corvettes and vipers.

no thanks.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:26 AM

LOL, bring the vettes and vipers on! NOT! Yeah I know about the different events. I just wanted to some SOLOII to get a generic feel for it, but really wanna do some Club Racing, the wheel-to-wheel racing. Thats what I was afraid of, being stuck in a class that outranks me by far. HAHA, Vipers against a 240. That would be hilarious! I was thinking about tracking my current car but Im going to re-think that and probably pick me up an older 240 that I can race in the stock class. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:37 AM

IMO running a blown 240 in SPO is not scarry, but the fact that SPO is grouped with T1, T2, P1, P2, AS, GT1 and GT2, that is what is scarry, being one of the cars with the least speed potential in the group on the track with the GT1 cars.

Years ago I ran a Datsun 610 in ITB. There was about 25mph speed differential between my car and the AS Camaros that were in my group. I spent much of my time looking the the mirrors to try to make sure I did not get run over.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:27 PM
KJ
bored at work

If you want to get into road racing you might want to consider putting the stock motor
in, run it N/A according to the IT rules. You will fall into ITS class. It is a pretty good class to be in. We used to run a BMW 325is in that class and competed very well. I know a guy with a 240 and his car is capable of top 10's or even 5's. The class is usually dominated by the second gen rx7's.

If you do decide to run with the turbo and in the SPO class you need to understand that alot of the cars in that class and the other classes in that group (GT1, ect..) have alot of money in their cars and might not be too kind to rookie inexperienced drivers.

I was building a 94 bmw 325 to run in ITS class myself but after the rule changes requiring that car run a restrictor plate I decided to go back to my partially built CRX and run in SPU. Fortunately that class does not run with the GT1 group. I am however still having second thoughts about not starting out in one of the IT classes first.

Gracie Barra Clearwater Gyms in Clearwater, St. Pete and Port Richey
pm me if you are interested in trying a free class at any of the gyms.

Quick Reply: Anyone here do SCCA Club Racing?