Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

First DE at Sebring

Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're welcome...meant to mention that I met a buddy of yours who works at SweetBay who has a Mustang. I talked to him about autoxing and other things.

As for the oil...please tell me you're running synthetic. You might be able to tweak the weight/viscosity for cooler track temps. An oil cooler has its disadvantages (by creating a underhood heat source and additional failure points) unless it's oem designed and located.
BMW CCA DE Instructor
BMW CCA 366493
Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Car54
You're welcome...meant to mention that I met a buddy of yours who works at SweetBay who has a Mustang. I talked to him about autoxing and other things.

As for the oil...please tell me you're running synthetic. You might be able to tweak the weight/viscosity for cooler track temps. An oil cooler has its disadvantages (by creating a underhood heat source and additional failure points) unless it's oem designed and located.
Yeah, Grayson. He's real cool; I've been trying to get him over to autocross.

Yes, I'm running synthetic. I've been between Castrol and Mobil 1, both 5w30. Might try AMSOIL next. What viscosity/weight would be best for cooler temps? The cars dont have an OEM oil cooler, and I completely agree about creating more spots for failure, leaks, etc. The block already has in/out ports set up for an oil cooler though (LS6 motor from the Z06).
Old 01-25-2011, 03:36 PM

Enjoed your video! That is a gotta do for me. Very cool..

Scott

Last edited by snookwheel; 01-25-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by smbstyle
Yeah, Grayson. He's real cool; I've been trying to get him over to autocross.

Yes, I'm running synthetic. I've been between Castrol and Mobil 1, both 5w30. Might try AMSOIL next. What viscosity/weight would be best for cooler temps? The cars dont have an OEM oil cooler, and I completely agree about creating more spots for failure, leaks, etc. The block already has in/out ports set up for an oil cooler though (LS6 motor from the Z06).
I run 15w50 most of the year. It's a mostly track car and I really don't drive it unless I know it will be long enough to heat the oil up. My goal was that when oil was 260-280 it was still thick enough to lubricate and create good oil pressure. Without an oil pressure gauge, you're really just guessing at the right viscosity. Having a Blackstone analysis from time to time is helpful to know you're not breaking down your oil, and that your engine is protected.

Maybe ask you instructor what he runs and what he does to control temps. I would at a minimum move to Xw40, ESPECIALLY in the summer.
BMW CCA DE Instructor
BMW CCA 366493
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM

Finally watched the vid. Biggest comment: get friendly with the curbing. You should be brushing the curbing on every apex, almost every track-out, and a lot of turn-ins. Use all of the track.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Loren
Finally watched the vid. Biggest comment: get friendly with the curbing. You should be brushing the curbing on every apex, almost every track-out, and a lot of turn-ins. Use all of the track.
Yes, that I need to work on. My instructor told me "you paid for all of the track real estate, use it!" lol
Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Car54
I run 15w50 most of the year. It's a mostly track car and I really don't drive it unless I know it will be long enough to heat the oil up. My goal was that when oil was 260-280 it was still thick enough to lubricate and create good oil pressure. Without an oil pressure gauge, you're really just guessing at the right viscosity. Having a Blackstone analysis from time to time is helpful to know you're not breaking down your oil, and that your engine is protected.

Maybe ask you instructor what he runs and what he does to control temps. I would at a minimum move to Xw40, ESPECIALLY in the summer.
I'll check with him. I think he has a Ron Davis radiator with a built in oil cooler and accusump setup.

I have the stock oil temp and oil press digital readouts on the dash, but not sure how accurate they are... after about 15 minutes into my run I'd get the "warning" beep that oil temps were over 285*
Old 01-25-2011, 06:55 PM
yeah, I drive a miata

very weird that you had the oil temp issues. my student on saturday has never been able to get more than 10 minutes out of his car apparently due to high oil temps and because of the cold weather he had absolutely zero issues running the whole sessions.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
very weird that you had the oil temp issues. my student on saturday has never been able to get more than 10 minutes out of his car apparently due to high oil temps and because of the cold weather he had absolutely zero issues running the whole sessions.
Since I posted last night, I've been doing some research on the CTS-V oil temp warnings going off, and apparently my year (2004) had an issue.... see the TSB below issued by GM:

ASI Resolution - Engine Oil Tempature Gage Warning (Call TCSC and Reprogram IPC Module) #04-08-49-017A - (Aug 3,2004)
Document ID # 1542045

Engine Oil Tempature Gage Warning (Call TCSC and Reprogram IPC Module)

2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Built prior to breakpoint 40181396 and build date April 14, 2004

This bulletin is being revised to add the correct information. Please discard Advanced Services Bulletin Number 04-08-49-017 (Section 8 -- Body & Accessories)

Condition

Some customers may comment that during or after aggressive driving, the engine oil tempature display in the DIC has a higher than expected reading or the oil tempature warning has come on.

Cause

A ground offset between the engine oil tempature sensor and the instrument cluster affects the tempature reading and may indicate a tempature higher than actual. the actual oil tempature should be in operating range.

Correction

Engineering has released a software update. Using normal SPS reprogramming procedures, Technicians are to reprogram the IPC modual wit an updated software calibration. Prior to reprogramming, technicians MUST contact the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) to obtain Vehicle COnfiguration INdex (VCI) nymber for assistance in modifying TIS Pass-thru RS-232 Baud rate from 115200 to 57600.

The new calibration will be released beginning with TIS satellite data update version 7.4 to be available on 7-21-04. As always, make sure your TECH2 is updated with the latest software version.

Dealer Action

Please contact all customers that were told they would be called when a repair became available. Distribute this information to all dealership technicians and service advisors.

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor operation: N4199
Description: Module - Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) [shy ] Reprogram
Labor time: 0.4hr
Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 AM

Good...winter temps over 300º for oil is scary.

Hello dealer, I drive my car on the track and it show oil temp too high.

Technician- calibrated oil temp gauge, test drove at Sebring, tested ok.
BMW CCA DE Instructor
BMW CCA 366493