Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Ethanol Gas

Old 01-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanol Gas

I have not been following all of the ethanol, FFV, E-10, news in the past but I'm starting to hear more and more about fuel pump damage, oring failures and other things associated with gas stations supplementing more and more ethanol in our gas stations.

I came across this site: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada that is somewhat of a movement to stop gas companies of adding more and more ethanol.

Here's a handy map showing no gas stations in Tampa: pure-gas.org : ethanol-free gas stations

As large carbon footprint brothers, we probably all share the opinion that we want our gas pure with no corn. Do you know of any local Tampa gas stations that are selling pure gas?
BMW CCA DE Instructor
BMW CCA 366493
Old 01-20-2011, 06:00 PM

i remember when i had my 2-stroke jet ski that was the one thing i kept trying to find in this area and didnt find any ethanol free.

why not upgrade the fuel system to handle ethanol fuel and run straight E-85? a few buddies of mine have done the fuel system conversion (fuel pumps/hat/filter/injectors) and are making some incredible power off E85, for fuel that is cheaper than regular. I dont think ethanol blended-fuel is a bad thing at all, but I also agree with you and think that it shouldnt be forced upon us at every pump when the cars werent designed for it. I'm Pro-Choice! lol
Old 01-21-2011, 05:52 AM

The Farm Store in Brandon carries ethanol free, it's listed on the puregas site. If you take a look in the "green motoring" forum on this site you'll find a post I made about this same topic. I believe someone replied about a few stations over in St. Pete that were still ethanol free as well.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 AM

There is a petition going on to keep ethanol free gas available. The petition is here. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/keep-pure-gas/

Soon we will have no choice but to use E15 gas, yes, the Feds are mandating a 50% increase in the amount of ethanol in the gas we purchase.

smbstyle, you obviously do not own any gasoline powered equipment, such as a lawn mower, weed whacker, generator, power washer, etc. If you did, you would be singing a different tune about blended gas. One has to drain the tank if one is not going to use that equipment for more than 30 days, or one will have to rebuild or replace the carb. Blended gas absorbs water, and causes metal to rust.

For those who have older "classic" cars that do not have plastic fuel tanks can expect to have their gas tank rust out from the inside. Ask me how I know.

Blended gas should be available for those who chose to use it, but it should not be forced down everyone's throats.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lola56
smbstyle, you obviously do not own any gasoline powered equipment, such as a lawn mower, weed whacker, generator, power washer, etc. If you did, you would be singing a different tune about blended gas.

Blended gas should be available for those who chose to use it, but it should not be forced down everyone's throats.
i do happen to own a lawnmower, a weed whacker, edger and even a power washer! as referenced in my post above, I even owned a 2-stroke jet ski which I had to hunt around to find non-blended fuel.

did you not read my entire post? (see below)

"but I also agree with you and think that it shouldnt be forced upon us at every pump when the cars werent designed for it. I'm Pro-Choice! lol "
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 PM

Here's some news from today:

EPA approves higher level of ethanol in fuel - St. Petersburg Times

I really can't figure out if they're saying that there will be new pumps for the newest cars or what?
BMW CCA DE Instructor
BMW CCA 366493
Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM
legend behind the cowl

well they CAN'T mandate E15 at least not with a much slower roll out.. except for a few imports really only OBD-II + cars have the higher speed feedback fuel control to handle high ethanol concentrations.. It'll have to be like the unleaded roll out. first only newer cars, then eventually everybody.. the cars that are having the problems are mostly older cars. and frankly older cars will need o-rings and pumps on occasion regardless of fuel.. but everything 2001 and later has had E15 minimum compatibility. frankly I don't understand the big hub-bub. E0 E10 E15 E85 they all work fine, just like anything else just tune for what's available. if the pump in my 20 year old miata goes out and I need to pay $50 for a new one.. I'm not gonna cry 'bout it. it's 20 years old.

To answer your question Craig, YES... different pumps for pre 2001 and post 2001 cars.. with a roll out over 8 years. everyone thought the loss of lead would be the end, when in fact it actually opened up the ability to have 02 sensors last and made the fuel injection we all love to tune possible.

<rant>Here's what I don't understand how do these "reporters" use bullshit facts. "ethanol burns hotter then gas" WTF, at lambda=1 EGT's are typically about 100-200 degrees cooler when using higher ethanol fuels like E85. at the SAME air fuel ratio it's leaner, and thus hotter, but while we use AFR as a common misnomer Car computers have NO IDEA of actual AFR all they know is the amount of oxygen int he exhaust stream.. and add or decrease fuel to reach lambda targets. I'm starting to get pissed at people that can't take the time to open a book (or a google search) but are considered enough of an authority to "report" facts to the public.</rant>

Last edited by treekiller; 01-23-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 01-26-2011, 07:13 AM

This thread is interesting and includes a homemade test procedure and some real world testing.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5#post21220015
BMW CCA DE Instructor
BMW CCA 366493