Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

August 11th FSF Auto-X Results (Images of Results List)

Old 08-17-2002, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing that you ask. I started autocrossing in 1980 in a 74 260Z. In 84 I built a 1600 Solo vee. Howard, his wife Linda, and I ran it in 85, and took it to Salina that same year. Howard finished 6th, and I believe he was the higest finishing vee that year in DM. So I have had seat time in a Solo vee beast.

In 1986 I bought a Lola T342 (1600). The Duncans and I ran the car together until 1990, when Howard accepted the job as Solo Manager at the SCCA national office. This car has had a pile of money thrown at it. It has dual side draft webers, 11:1 pistons, mild cam, ported and polished heads, polished rods, a 5 pound flywheel, Tilton clutch and throw out bearing, torsen posi, and two sets of wide wheels, among other expensive items. I have been running his car in BM.

Five years ago I bought another T342, for $2,000. I brought it home in a basket. I have another $1,000 in rebuilding the car. It is a legal club ford, and runs in CM. It is almost as fast as the BM car.

For those who have seen these cars at FSF, the red one is the BM car, and the blue one runs in CM. I will be at the next FSF event.

My point of the driver being the most important element of the car is as follows.

In 1989, Howard was not able to compete at the Solo Nationals in BM. He entered the car in AM. At the time this car was not a front running BM car.
At the end of the first day of competition against 4 AM national champions in AM, Howard had this car in third place out of 20 cars. For a time, he had the fastest time of the course, and had the third fastest time on that course out of 700 drivers. The course for the second day was a horse power course, but Howard still came home with a trophy, 6th place, in a car that was not considered to be competitive in AM.

See ya in a couple of weeks.

Dave
Old 08-17-2002, 08:23 PM
Cafe Racer Extraordinaire

I'm still wondering if I won a trophy....haha. If I did, I'll be at the Sept. 8th Auto-X, and I'll be more than happy to pick it up....hehe.

"Well, here's the thing".....you will be missed.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:11 AM

I think the new rule is that if you are not there after the auto-x (or you have not arranged to have someone pick it up for you) no trophy for you.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:52 AM
OUCH!!!

Originally posted by "400HP930"

I think the new rule is that if you are not there after the auto-x (or you have not arranged to have someone pick it up for you) no trophy for you.
Actually, it's an old rule. If you don't stick around to collect your trophy, then it is assumed that you do not want it and it is recycled back into the trophy supply box. Typically, we only try to make exceptions to that only if you have to leave for an emergency reason and you talk to someone on the event staff first.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:20 PM
Cafe Racer Extraordinaire

I told Neil that I had to leave early, and he ok'd it, but I didn't know that I was going to win a trophy at the time I left, so does that mean I can pick it up at the next event?
Old 08-18-2002, 04:57 PM

I guess you will have to see if your connections allow you to get it after the fact.