Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

10 and 2? Fuck that, I'm a nooner . . .

Old 07-15-2002, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 and 2? Fuck that, I'm a nooner . . .

I spent a lot of time yesterday looking over my in car vids analyzing all those little things I never have a chance to think about during my runs.

The one thing I learned that really suprised me is that I did almost all my driving with only one hand on the wheel. I would sometimes use two hands in the slalom right before the hairpin and then to make the sharp turn in the hairpin but nearly everywhere else I had my left hand on the top of the wheel and my right on the shifter.

My wheel control was still pretty good with one hand on the shifter and one on the wheel (and that is not a bad combination to master), but after looking at the video I am going to try to force myself to use both hands for better steering control when I don't need to shift.

I am also switching to a 14.5 inch Momo steering wheel since the guy that owned the car before me put a tiny little 12.5 inch Momo in the car. This has not been very beneficial to my auto-xing since it brings the wheel very close to the column controlls and the dash and increases the force I need to use to control the car. With a 3 turn lock to lock, manual steering rack I need all the steering wheel torque I can get.

The only other thing I could see that might have penalizing my runs is how slow the car launches due to its tall gears. I could see how the runs were pretty similar but much of the time I made up was done by launching better at the starting point. This certainly motivates me to get a new set of gears installed ASAP.

My advice to any auto-xer that can pull it off is to set up an in car camera with a good view of the road ahead and your steering wheel (between the seats in the rear passenger or storage area is the best bet). Though I felt like crap and had a very average set of runs at the auto-x, I have gone away from this event with a lot of infomation that will allow me to improve my driving the next time around.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:35 PM

smaller steering wheel = faster turning! though less leverage so its harder! eric
Old 07-15-2002, 02:01 PM

Three things that you will find that good, experienced autocorssers do with regards to steering are:

1. They have both hands on the wheel.

2. They shuffle steer.

3. They have slow hands.

The shuffle steer technique and the slow hands help greatly in being a smooth driver. That is one of the key secrets of Danny Shields quick times. Danny doesn't look like he is going fast, and this is the reason why.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:13 PM
is cooler than you

I always use two hands to drive at the autox......i tried shuffle steering.......it didnt' feel natural, so I stopped doing it. But then again, maybe I wasn't doing it quite right.

Old 07-15-2002, 02:47 PM
OUCH!!!

that's one of the reasons I'm not faster... I tend to throw the car around alot... hand over hand steering is a habbit for me...
Old 07-15-2002, 05:26 PM
Me angry, you cry

what is shuffle steering?
Old 07-15-2002, 08:22 PM

Shuffle Streeing

I have ridden with Mark Chiles, who is a National Champion in SCCA Solo II, and observed his method of shuffle steering.

His hands are placed in the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock position, palms up. If he is going to turn right, he keeps his left hand at 8 o'clock but relaxes his grip, then he moves his right hand to 6 o'clock, if that is not enough input, grips the wheel with his left hand, slides his right ti the 4 o'clock position, grips with his right while relaxing the left, and moves the right toward the 6 o,clock position again. He does the reverse when he wants the car to go straight. The point is that one hand feeds the other hand, and at no time does any hand go over 12 o'clock, and the hands never cross.

This sounds awkward, and feels awkward when you first try it. But, it does work. many of the top autocrossers use this method. The key to getting good times is to be smooth, which in large part means slow and smooth input to the steering wheel.

A very good way to learn this method, and other good driving tips, is to have a driver like Danny Shields drive your car with you as a passenger. Bill and Elliot Harvey are also National Champs who could offer assistance.

I hope this gives you an idea about what shuffle steering is. Practice using it when you drive daily and it will feel natural on the tracki.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:23 AM

Why do you think Jesse (the STS Protege) has gotten so damn good. he drive EVERYWHERE like he's autocrossing.

He's a blast to ride with!

Now, I'm not saying he threshold brakes and apexes every turn and all that, but he uses the pricinples behind all these maneuvers when he's driving. And of course he DOES apex a corner and the like from time to time. Just for fun when conditions merit fun driving.

Me, well... how can you drive a Crown Vic at the limits all the time? You just don't or you beat your passengers to death, lol. But it is easy to go ahead and at low speeds like you would normally use to street drive, and try some different lines and apexes or corners. You'll begin to get the hang of where to look in a corner

wow this was s long post.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:48 AM
user

Originally posted by "Lola56"

Shuffle Streeing

I have ridden with Mark Chiles, who is a National Champion in SCCA Solo II, and observed his method of shuffle steering.

His hands are placed in the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock position, palms up. If he is going to turn right, he keeps his left hand at 8 o'clock but relaxes his grip, then he moves his right hand to 6 o'clock, if that is not enough input, grips the wheel with his left hand, slides his right ti the 4 o'clock position, grips with his right while relaxing the left, and moves the right toward the 6 o,clock position again. He does the reverse when he wants the car to go straight. The point is that one hand feeds the other hand, and at no time does any hand go over 12 o'clock, and the hands never cross.

This sounds awkward, and feels awkward when you first try it. But, it does work. many of the top autocrossers use this method. The key to getting good times is to be smooth, which in large part means slow and smooth input to the steering wheel.

A very good way to learn this method, and other good driving tips, is to have a driver like Danny Shields drive your car with you as a passenger. Bill and Elliot Harvey are also National Champs who could offer assistance.

I hope this gives you an idea about what shuffle steering is. Practice using it when you drive daily and it will feel natural on the tracki.
Mark Chiles? doesnt he own a Sentra SE-R? if so i drove to Sarasota to pick up a SE-R trunk lid and spoiler for free, nice guy
12.836 @ 112.98mph
Tampa, Fl
Old 07-21-2002, 07:17 PM
cone junkie

Originally posted by "GTi-R B13"

Mark Chiles? doesnt he own a Sentra SE-R? if so i drove to Sarasota to pick up a SE-R trunk lid and spoiler for free, nice guy

Chiles used to have a Sentra SE-R. He only managed 3rd at Nationals last year, and the car was then sold. Elliot Harvey had the car for a little while, and mildly prepped it to STS trim. That car was for someone else, whom i dont know the idenity. It was slow when Elliot was driving it...namely because I beat it.

Anyway, Chiles has one heck of a reputation Nationally. He's SERIOUS about this stuff...VERY serious.