Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

NASA FL, Sebring Raceway, June 19-20

Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 AM
yeah, I drive a miata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just for a comparison from my data so you can see the variances... First is max speed before braking and second is apex speed in a spec miata. they are very similar to what Loren listed. Just wanted to post these to show that he definitely isn't exaggerating about the abuse your brakes will take.

1- 109-83
3- 96-59
5- 66-59
7- 106-43
10- 101-53
13- 86-58
15- 103-69
16- 79-63
17- 112-68

and that's in a car with 110whp... more horsepower means I hope you have good brake ducting. lol
Old 06-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Yeah, you kinda have to play the whole track as it comes. Every car is different, every driver is different. Drive it like it's a mountain road and you're going off of a cliff if you make a mistake. That will keep you out of trouble for the first few laps. Then you can start adding speed where it makes sense to do so.

For 17, just plan on downshifting to 3rd and taking a smooth line that leaves your right mirror on the wall at the "first apex", use a little of the middle of the track (but don't get out too wide, it gets BUMPY out there), and then back almost across the grass for the exit apex, and track out toward the wall as you accelerate out into the straight. That's sort of the "shortest distance - momentum" line. Guys in really fast cars will take a line that has a much wider entry and allows them to get on the gas much earlier for the front straight. They give up a little distance and make up for it with speed and power.

You'll never feel like you got 17 right, and most people will admit that there isn't one "right" way to take it.

As you get more comfortable with 17, you might be able to take it in 4th depending on your gearing and how much torque you have. For my Yaris, and before that my Miata, I needed 3rd gear to get down the straight with "authority".
Old 06-18-2010, 12:17 PM
5 Cylinders Of Fury

Since we are delving into noob advice again, let me add a little tip for our first timers since you could easily do a 20 minute class, marker board and all, to properly teach someone how to enter a turn, manage the apex and exit.

When you get out there for the first time, and are full of adrenaline, fear and excitement, its sometimes a bit much to expect a noob to figure out the best path through the course on top of everything else.

For that reason I never hurts to read the road, since hundreds of people that have been there before you have left their marks through all the braking areas and turns. When in a panic and doubt, dont go too fast and follow the darkest path on the pavement. If you are hitting dark pavement on the straights its a sign you should be slowing your ass down, and in the in the corners the optimal path is already roughly sketched out for you.

In time you will calm down and figure out how to choose your own path. Its almost a zen like path of enlightment and breaking free from the herd, lol.

Crazy Camber, Stretch & Poke; its the new triple-stack-bleacher-wing ricer fad that's all the rage nowadays, lol

Last edited by S60R; 06-18-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 PM

It's highly unlikely that anybody who isn't track-experienced is going to get out on Sebring at-speed without an instructor in the passenger seat, anyway. They'll yell at you if they think you're driving over your head.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:37 PM
5 Cylinders Of Fury

An instructor isn't always going to be a contant backseat driver and some may not be very adept at passing on immediate input to their students.

Just pointing out for the noobs that there are cues they can look for when they start out so they can figure out some things on their own even when the situation might have them a bit flustered.

For example, before my first time at Sebring I studied the map for days just so I would know the course like the back of my hand even before I rolled out on the track. That being said once I was out there and I was dealing with that first giant dose of adrenaline I did a lot of reading of the track and the cars ahead of me so I could be competitive but not get myself into trouble either. We are talking an intuitive art, not paint by numbers here after all.

Crazy Camber, Stretch & Poke; its the new triple-stack-bleacher-wing ricer fad that's all the rage nowadays, lol

Last edited by S60R; 06-18-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:07 PM
yeah, I drive a miata

Originally Posted by S60R
An instructor isn't always going to be a contant backseat driver and some may not be very adept at passing on immediate input to their students.
they damn well should be
Old 06-19-2010, 02:37 PM
AEG

Sebring is a great track, you will have a lot of fun! Drive within your limits until you learn the track!

Originally Posted by shinmei2006
if you want to have fun get the s2k, if you want to go fast in a straight line but get made fun of in everyday traffic, get the srt4
Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 AM

Great time at Sebring. I struggled with some overheating issues but still managed to make it on track every shared_session.

Here's some video (should be in HD once it processes).

YouTube - NASA Sebring D2S3 Jun-10 HPDE3
BMW CCA DE Instructor
BMW CCA 366493

Last edited by Car54; 06-21-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 AM

Nice! I only saw one consistent "error", that was the missed apex on turn... 11? The left after the slow right. If you watch the Honda that was in front of you on the 3rd lap, he hits it.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Right, I was actually taught that line by a TT guy (highly respected driver named Victor) who drove my car then rode with me. He said to aim for the right tree...basically setting up for T12 by going wide at T11.

I never tried the other way...now I wish I would have.
BMW CCA DE Instructor
BMW CCA 366493