Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Well Sebring was one hell of a crazy auto-x...

Old 06-19-2002, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, well.

Okay, your voices have been heard.

I, too, that Sebring management was pretty bad. I'm working on ways to fix that in a manner that won't get me castrated by the rest of the club officials. It'll happen, just hold on a little while. In the future, central area events will be run the same as west coast events.

The white Miata belongs to Bob Palmblad. It is supercharged -- that was the whine you heard. Bob is a great driver in just about anything, but he was having an off-day at Sebring.

The yellow Civic belongs to Mark and Wendi Allen. They were the first husband-wife team to win the National Championship in their respective classes in the same year in the same car! Mark acts as driving instructor for Evolution Driving School, and he was there when I took the school. I don't like Mark much at all, but I've got to admit that some of his advice has made me a better autox'er.

The open wheel Ford that Shawn drove belongs to Ron Alcorns, but it was brought to the site by Dave Welsh. Dave is an ex-Solo Chairman and really has a heart for this stuff. He almost single-handedly ran about a half-dozen autox events at UF last year. That's a sh*tload of work!

The Sebring course was not a very good SoloII course in terms of speed. My Supra (automatic) got into 3rd gear, and I don't need to shift out of 2nd until I hit the rev limiter at 85mph. That's not a SoloII course!

In addition, the cost of the site was so prohibitive that we will not likely be going back there again unless the cost can be brought down. However, there are currently plans being made for something similar to happen at Daytona next April. It will likely be in part of the new renovated infield, but the details won't be worked out for another couple months. Then you'll see notes in the Checker (if you get our moenthly newsletter because you signed up as a CFR member).

Btw, Gainesville this weekend is a two-day event. Registration closes today. The entry fee covers both days of autocrossing, 3 runs each day. Tech can be done Friday night at the event hotel or Saturday morning at the event site, and it only needs to be done once for the entire weekend. Check out the information on the web at http://www.sedivsolo2.com/ -- lunch will be provided both days, there are cash prizes, and it promises to be a LOT of fun with a lot of great cars to check out! It is a DIVISIONAL event and that means that it will run very similarly to a national-level event. Be aware that they are going to be strict about things you might not think are important. The goal is to teach people how to act when they attend a national event, as well as to provide an increased level of competition. (I'm probably going to get my butt kicked!) If you want to see a tricked out Civic, get a look at Mike King's Street Modified car. If you want to see a $100k+ car be autocrossed, check out Phil Currin's old Corvette -- this car has won national racing events. The web site I mentioned has an entry list where you can see who has registered and what vehicle they're planning to run.

I think that's it. Oh, btw, thanks for the kudos on how the west coast does things. Those kinds of notes are part of the reason why your event officials are willing to put all this time and effort into it.

See ya in July back at the fairgrounds! (Oops, no I won't. I'm attending the Cleveland Grand Prix that weekend. My brother got crew passes. And his contact will be driving the pace car, so there's a good chance we'll be in it!)
Old 06-19-2002, 09:36 AM

Hmm, a $100K+ old vette? Are we talking one of the old aluminum framed "ultra-lite" racing vettes from the 60s?

Old 06-19-2002, 01:56 PM

Phil Currin has been autocrossing and racing vettes for over 30 years. In 1974 he won the IMSA GTO championship.

The $100K vette is question is a 1963 split window vette, that has run the 24 hours of LeMans, and is the car that Phil won the 74 championship in.

In addition, Phil is a several time National Solo 2 champion in his 72 in BSP.

Phil lives in Gainesville and is running this 63 vette in Solo events and vintage events this year.
Old 06-19-2002, 05:05 PM

You mispelled his name... it's "FAST Phil Currin"
but I had NO CLUE he lived in Gainesville?!?!

Leonard... there will be a Mustang at the divisionals event for you to finally compare yourself to... too bad.

lola56... who are you? have we met? this is Shawn from Gainesville.

-Shawn
Old 06-19-2002, 05:12 PM

Shawn

I don't believe that we have met.

By the way, was that you who drive my blue Lola at Sebring two weeks ago?

Please don't tell Fast Phil that I misspelled his name. When I call him on the phone he answers "Fast Phil." I respond by saying "slow Dave here."

See ya this weekend.

Dave
Old 06-19-2002, 05:18 PM

heh heh heh
I was pretty damn sure I knew who I was talking... I just wanted to make sure.

Is there anything I can do to help you get the cars ready for this weekend? OH, and did the red one finally run correctly after we cleaned/beat on the fuel pump?

oh, if you need it, my email is GvilleCFRSCCA@AOL.COM or nukewaste@prodigy.net (you've received emails from the latter one before)

I'll get back to you later!
-Shawn
Old 06-19-2002, 05:51 PM

Shawn

Thanks for the offer. I had both cars out of the trailer today and pressure washed them. It's been a while since they had a bath. I also wanted to clean up the right rear brake. I pulled the plugs on the red one, they looked good, and adjusted the valves while I was at it.

I still had a stumble on Sunday at Sebring. It was alot better than Saturday. When I was tossing the car around in the slaloms it seemed to stumble a bit. I took the tops of the carbs off last week to check for silt and trash, found nothing. The filters in the carbs looked good too. The float level seems to be okay. So, if it acts up this weekend I'll be looking for a new fuel pump. I didn't like what we say when we took it apart at Sebring.