FAST Autocross Event 4

DATE: 12/12/2009
COST: $30
CITY: Brooksville
THE DETAILS / REGISTRATION INFO: MyAutoEvents page
OFFICIAL EVENT CONVERSATION: FAST Forum thread
MAIN FAST SITE: FAST
CONTACTS: Director Registrar

Ok, we're heading back to Brooksville for some autocross action in December. As you all know, you have to preregister for this one, and way ahead of time so we can get the attendance list to the airport, so head over to the MAE page and get signed up!

And by the way, just so you can plan further ahead, check out the TR autocross schedule sticky and mark your calendar so you don't miss a FAST event all year! (thanks, Word.)
Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 PM
L.A.B.4.LIFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can count us in I willl be signing up by the end on the week.

LABKREATIONZ/COUNCILLS AUTO
Gangster steering wheel club member #3? maybe?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Registered Hater

Just curious, can you do it for fun like no competition? Do you have to be in a class? My car is in no way setup really for AutoX but I would love to try it and get into it more since i'm litterally 7 minutes from the Brooksville airport and I see quite a few events there.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 AM

They're gonna assign you to a class just to have a way to track your times, but EVERYONE is there just to have fun, and I'd say over half really don't care about their times beyond just self-improvement.

Come on out!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:50 PM
tire eater

just curious, and I'm asking this in a serious capacity, if I came to one of these what would their stance be if I asked to slide a few runs as well as grip. I know back when I did sunriders they were ok for the most part if you werent mowing down cones/causing delays.

I dont want to make a venue upset nor the normal attendees. just looking for somewhere safe to play that isnt on a damn oval or a few hours away. thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM

I certainly can't speak for all.. but when "sliding aka that dreaded D word." is done with precision and talent and is NOT causing delays due to cone killing, I really enjoy watching it!

Of course the proper venue is a critical part of the equation. If anything is viewed as reckless or unsafe by anyone watching, we could easily lose a site. Something not worth risking if that is a potential! Good sites are way too hard to come by. Didn't we used to call it power sliding 'back in the day? Lot's of fun... but not very fast.

Unfortunately good judgement has not been shown by all Drifters. Kinda screws it up for the talented ones.

That's all I got. Backing out to my benign-vanilla cubby hole!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:10 PM

Yeah, it's pretty much the same as the old days. As long as you're not trying to make a major drift exhibition out of every run, not spinning and causing the car behind you to get red-flagged waiting for you to clear the course, not creaming a bunch of cones, or disrupting the event in general, you're fine.

I've noted that drivers who drift the occasional turn aren't a problem. Even regular autocrossers will do that from time to time, it's no big deal. It's when the guys come out and try to "combo" several turns that invariably causes a problem because they'll get it wrong (spinning, taking out cones, or just making people nervous) far more times than they get it right... and this ain't drift practice.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:26 PM
tire eater

yea the biggest problem with it at autox events is typically course workers (drivers) are just standing around with no protection, so drifitng 'safely' depends on their stations and the course layout. id like to come out and see what its like. I know its slow for time as well.

i dont think this event is good timing for me anyways, too many other things taking my budget away, but maybe i can make it in the near future
Old 11-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Hope you can make it out either way. Brooksville is one of the best venues on the West coast! Great grip and room for some real nice courses. Give it a shot if you can!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:02 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

oh man the pavement is already taking enough abuse but yea what Loren said

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production