33.33%
No I don't want to go
0%
I'm a cheap bastard and would rather stay at a hostle
0%
I'll sign up, but can only afford $XXXX
66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

2009 Nurburgring/Hockenheim/Autobahn Trip.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 AM
legend behind the cowl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaball77
You have experience there meaning...you've driven the Ring before in real life? Or you've played Gran Turismo 4?
I've never played GT4 sorry, I was on contract to Mercedes in 2004 and again in 2005 so when I was done "working" I would take my rental car. 1 litre Peugeot, and run to the ring. (they stop the factory testing in the weekday afternoons and open it to the public, and the whole weekend) So I've logged some laps, but I'll be honest it takes 20-30 just to come to grips with the size of the track. there are 3 separate villages within the Nordschlife.. and 100 more laps just to learn most of the corners.

While I reccomend the ring taxi (you have to book it early) it's cost is prohibitive at $200 although it is still Sabine and that's a once in a lifetime experence.

Originally Posted by Jordan Y.
$1600 with airfare, lodging, car rental, and obviously your planning and organizing talents included? You pay for your own food and laps- where does fuel factor into that? Included or an even split between the two people in each car? I've wanted to do a trip to the Nurburgring for some time now, even tried to talk a friend into going and doing something similar, sharing a rental car. Let me work on the $$$ side of things and talk to my friend about it again and I'll get back to you.
Sure, I figured Fuel would be the responsibility of each "team" just because I don't want to limit where or how far you can travel.. plus if one team wants to do 100 laps while one only wants 10, there is no reason th have them share that burden. the mileage is unlimited. I'll be honest with you fuel is about 1.5 times what it is here so if you plan on Running to Amsterdam (200 miles) for a quick visit to the "coffee" houses. be prepaired to pay over a euro a litre. as for food, pretty much all the hotels I'm considering include breakfast, so if your smart and catch the tail end of the buffet, you can survive on just buying dinner.

Mars: when you enter some of the off camber downhill corners on this track your gonna wish you were driving a golf cart, some corners at anyspeed seem WAY to fast. and the blind apexes you have to pray there is not a Biker smeared on the pavement. it seems like every public day some biker high sides and makes a mess of himself. but there are no corner workers, but the Medics are pretty good at flagging you away from the scene. (they have signs they post a few hundred yards before an incident) It is a "one way unlimited toll autrobahn" in a country that still believes in self responsibility, that's why it works in Germany and never will elsewhere.

Last edited by treekiller; 10-29-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 AM
legend behind the cowl

Originally Posted by Spin Out
Some one give Mars $40 ($20 each) for his camera parts so he can go. Please!
Actually if someone is willing to take a triple room, we might be able to get Mars along for less then $1000 but to take photo's at the ring at other then the few popular spots. (which all have 20-30 photogs at them) you have to be a secret agent man to sneak around and get a good spot.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:03 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Bah, as much as I wish I could go, it's not going to work out. I can't afford to spend that much on a trip right now, and unless the trip lined up perfectly with spring break I couldn't afford to miss that many classes anyway. I'll just have to wait until I graduate to go gallivanting off on driving holidays halfway around the world.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
PROcess R

I am interested, but it's a little too early for my to know for sure. I'll see what things are looking like as the date gets closer.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 AM
legend behind the cowl

sure, and the dates are not set in stone yet. I needed to give the Airline some dates just to get a price. but we have to keep in mind if we get closer then 2-3 months the prices do go up.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:12 AM
Salad Tosser

Do this again in summer 2010 and I'd be in. Now I just need to find a Lupo cup car to rent over there.

And maybe you could answer this for me:

I read before that they only allowed the "public" on the track if it was their own car. Do you know the actual rules for going on track?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:48 AM
legend behind the cowl

Not the last time I was there in 05, I highly doubt that is the case since there are several services in the town of Nurburg that will rent you a race car for an hour or two.. and the logistical nightmare of checking papers on everyone at the gates would make that unlikely. Remember it's not America, They don't care about 1,000,000 little things. Heck I'm going to bet about 1/2 of the canteens at german factories still sell beer. While it's Strictly Verbooten To be "Drunk" and working or operating a car.. most laws are more lax.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 PM

so exactly how long is the trip?

if leaving on say the 1st? im adding up to the 8th? return 9th? so 9-10 days?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 PM
legend behind the cowl

I priced it out as a wednesday to wednesday trip, 1 week.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 PM

If this could be planned around the USF schedule, I think I could make it. Have you ever looked into the cost of shipping a car to and from for a vacation like this?