Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing
View Poll Results: Why don't you come to SCCA Brooksville events?
I didn't know about the events
31.58%
SCCA's prices are too high
21.05%
The registration system is a pain, or I forget to register
18.42%
Brooksville is too far to drive
26.32%
I don't like the SCCA class system
13.16%
I already autocross with another club
15.79%
My friends all autocross with a different club
2.63%
The SCCA isn't as friendly as other clubs
5.26%
The SCCA schedule conflicts with my other club's schedule
0%
That Jason guy smells funny
23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Be honest-Why don't you come to the SCCA autocross events at Brooksville?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the SCCA in danger of closing up shop in this region? If not, then who cares about attendance. East coast SCCA is probably making enough money to keep the west afloat.

I used to care about this subject but not anymore, because I realized that it doesn't affect me. I am going to go to all the events I can and improve my driving. That's why I always finish near the top of the results list.
Other people can do whatever they want.

Jeremy

Old 01-16-2008, 09:24 AM
rocktastic

Other:

I've run 2 or 3 SCCA events since they started at Brooksville, and I loved them. But between my Si being stolen (and the subsequent insurance epic), moving away from Carrollwood and getting a new, more demanding job, I've been out of the autox loop in general.

I've got a new car, though, and now that the house is mostly settled I'm planning to get some tires (anyone selling any used 15"s?) and aim to make one event a month--SCCA included.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Originally Posted by Muddy
I agree that cost is a problem. It is $40 for non-members and $30 for members the last time I attended a SCCA event. The $75 membership fee saves you nothing unless you attend 8 events a year. You still don't get free food and drink as the other clubs provide.
Yeah, the price structure is hurting us... Unfortunately we can't actually do anything about it! We're beholden to SCCA's rules and costs...

The new prices are $25 for members, $40 for non-members. HOWEVER - That $40 makes you a temporary member of the SCCA (for 5 days, I believe), so if you pay $40 on Saturday for a practice day, you will only pay $25 on Sunday for the event. $65 total for the weekend. Cheaper than before when it was $35 per day for both days...

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Comprehensive

Why don't you come to **** SCCA events?

Because I autocross every month with a club that not only has a cheaper base price, but includes lunch and water, and I average 7 timed runs per event over the year.

Why possible motivation would I have to go?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:44 AM

I think the answer is clear. That Jason guy smells funny.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 AM

is there any qualifications to go to these???
i have a 1994 altima 5 speed fully stock but these events seem like they are fun and i would like to see what its all about
Old 01-16-2008, 09:53 AM
OG Join Date: 6-15-00

Personally, either I don't know about the events or I find out too late or the car is broken/unsafe (won't pass tech) or I just flat-out forget.

Yeah, I know it is a laundry list of excuses but they're all legit.

1973 VW Squareback
1979 AMC Jeep Cherokee Chief

RIP Tim

Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Originally Posted by Loren
I think the answer is clear. That Jason guy smells funny.
Apparently showering once a quarter is not enough.

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 AM

Oh... another big reason people don't attend SCCA Brooksville events... schedule conflicts. I would expect you'd get a fair number of the FAST folks at your events if they weren't on the same date as the FAST events.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone for schedule conflicts. I know that there is a finite number of dates available... and obviously if FAST isn't at Brooksville, that's one of the dates that's available! I'm just saying that FAST is major competition for your events, and the FAST regulars will choose the FAST event over the SCCA event.

Same goes for conflicts with other clubs, too.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:19 AM
I Heart 2nd Gear Racing

I go to most of the SCCA Brooksville Event days. You usually get lots of runs because so few people show. We only got five runs this past event because of rain, but it's usually along the lines of a dozen or so.

If you want more runs than you or your car can tolerate, you should go to SCCA practice and/or events. Also, if you want to autocross with guys who are very very fast, you should run with SCCA. There are usually at least a few of them who are on hand.

Also it wasn't mentioned that if you attend a SCCA event with your $40 fee, you get $15 off of your $75 SCCA membership. That makes SCCA membership $60, then your autox events will only cost $25. Going out for lunch doesn't seem like a big problem to me.

For me, though, the biggest thing FAST has over SCCA is classing. We are a small population region. We don't get 200 drivers per event like .. say .. Washington DC Metro area. The FAST classes are great for our area. I agree with Muddy about the competition that arises because of this. Any club that allows race tires to run against street tires has a problem. Additionally allowing race tires in a STOCK class is equally retarded.