Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing
View Poll Results: Why don't you come to SCCA Brooksville events?
I didn't know about the events
31.58%
SCCA's prices are too high
21.05%
The registration system is a pain, or I forget to register
18.42%
Brooksville is too far to drive
26.32%
I don't like the SCCA class system
13.16%
I already autocross with another club
15.79%
My friends all autocross with a different club
2.63%
The SCCA isn't as friendly as other clubs
5.26%
The SCCA schedule conflicts with my other club's schedule
0%
That Jason guy smells funny
23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Be honest-Why don't you come to the SCCA autocross events at Brooksville?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:49 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Be honest-Why don't you come to the SCCA autocross events at Brooksville?

Attendance at SCCA's Brooksville events was never great, but it seems like it's been declining even more...

The question is "Why?"

We're always looking for ways to improve our events and boost attendance - so please help us out!

Feel free to respond with your own reason if your reason isn't listed above.

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!

Last edited by jaball77; 01-16-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 AM
$$ = boost :( = NA

caus being a drifter is way cooler ... i would love to get out ther with you guys, my setup would be great out there...but i have no lisence
Old 01-16-2008, 05:39 AM

I voted for "already autox with another club" because that most applies to me. I'm doing a lot less autocrossing lately, and I try to do it with the club that I'm most involved with first. I rarely go to other club's events unless it just happens to fit my schedule and I'm jonesin' for some action.

I think publicity is a big thing. You need one or more persons who will post clear and concise (but with the basic who, what, when & where covered... along with links to info, links to registration, and DEADLINES) event notices on the major forums at the appropriate time (ie: not the last minute... plenty of notice, and keep it bumped when it needs to be). That would be the TR autox forum, and any other forum where you have interested people... like the Subaru forums, S2000 forums, Honda forums, Mazda forums, Miata forums, Mustang forums, SVT forums, whatever.

Last I looked, the CFRSCCA Solo website wasn't the easiest thing to find... or to find information on. If that hasn't been improved, it's a problem that should be addressed. You might even look into a more modern web forum rather than the Yahoo Group that you're using for communication. The Yahoo Group is good for the hardcore people. They'll take the time to sign up and keep up with everything. But, for the casual newb... a forum is much better. They can easily browse forums for topics that interest them, or use the search function to find info... and you can include "sticky" posts with info and links in them. Yahoo Groups was cool in its day, but the "kids" these days are used to the typical forum style of communication.

I have to agree with Jeremy, who is always the one who says that SCCA events are run very much like FAST events... autocrossers are autocrossers. You guys deliver a fair number of runs, and you're generally not too insistent about the classing issues. I don't think the "SCCA stigma" is a major issue.

Price might be an issue. Not JUST the price, but the value for the price. For $30, a FAST event that includes lunch and all of the bottled water you need to stay hydrated is a bargain. I'm not sure what the current SCCA rates are, but if a non-member can't get in for under $30... that's hurting you.

Lastly, Brooksville being the only "local" site that you use is hurting you. FAST gets a LOT more first-timers at SPC than at Brooksville. It's closer to the center of population in the area, easier to get to, doesn't require pre-registration. People can come hang out and watch if they want to. In short, it's easier to give them that "first hit" so that they want to come back for more.

That's all I got, man. Hope it helps.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:50 AM
Sexist

You folks that can't make it to the track should jump on these AX events. They are not expensive and won't hurt your car at all.

Do they allow pickup trucks? Maybe I should bring Silverado just to show people they don't have to have a full out race car to have some fun.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:11 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

I'd prefer you brung the Viper and gave me a ride chuck .. i'll wear a mini skirt if that helps

I forget about them, i'd love to run them as its not really that far away but I agree with Loren that you need to publicize them more. I know my son would love to see Daddy's fast race car run .. lol (Thats what he calls the Stock STi).
Old 01-16-2008, 06:16 AM

The website says something about new restrictions.... That scares me.

The member ship is like $75. That is more than anyone else.

I can get tons of runs and lunch with the BMW guys for $25. (No membership required)
Last time I checked it was $35 with no lunch, and talk of requireing membership.
So my first run at SCCA cost me $100 and I'm Hungry, and my first run with BMW cost $25 and I'm fed. This is easy math.

I really don't intend to attend any this year, but I might if it's not more than $35 and I'm really jonesing for an autocross.

(PCA cost me $20, with a hot lunch free from Suncoast Porsche, but on the other hand Z-Hills does suck.)
Old 01-16-2008, 07:05 AM

Chuck,

As long as the truck isn't overly tall (no jacked up 4x4's) or top heavy (no SUV's), just about any autocross club will allow it to run... even SCCA.

Bring it, man! I'll bring my Spitfire the same day and we can race! Do we have a class for underdogs? No? How 'bout old men in slow cars?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Race Photographer

SCCA used to be all I did when I did run. Brooksville was fairly close to me, and I would always get on avg maybe 10 runs a day sometimes more. When you guys were sunriders at the time, SPJC was a bit of a drive even though I did goto gainesville once or twice for SCCA, though I was into points chasing then. I ran with the PCA/BMW once or twice at Zephryhills. It was alright, but everyime I went, it was only 3-4 runs and for some reason I dont remember getting lunch served. Plus the course itself wasnt that great and it really tore up tires. But the main reason I dont go is because of this...

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

I am leaning towards:

1. There are many clubs in the area that are now holding events (BMW, PCA, Corvette, FAST, SCCA)

2. Palm Bay is now open again (their first event netted 104 drivers and were given 5 runs each) so the East Coast has a place again besides Deland which some claim is too slippery of a surface and Tampa to run.

3. I agree with Loren about the St Pete location being close and many first timers decide to go because it is less of a loss of a day if they don't like it.

4. Brooksville restrictions may be misunderstood by those who are not familair with the club and considered over the top since Z Hills does not require regristration.

5. As a member of the SCCA the price of the SCCA autox hasn't changed from last year or the year prior from what I can remember. I ran a full weekend at Sebring back in June 06 and it cost me $50. I ran at Palm Bay and at Brooksville in January 08 and it cost me $25 per event. The membership has gone up for the SCCA membership.

...If you run an SCCA event as a non member there is an additional fee that makes you a weekend member which then you can turn that paperwork in to receive a discount off the SCCA membership.

6. I think some people are not aware that BMW is a non for profit and that is the reason they offer lunch and water. Think about this those who run road course events bring water, food, chairs, etc. for a day out at the track. Yes it is nice to have these things provided for you but an outing is an outing so bring what you need to make it through the day. At least you don't have a $250 registration fee, a $100 room rental, $x.xx in gas, etc like those who run full solo events at Sebring, Homestead, etc.

7. Some people just hate getting up any earlier on a weekend to do a car event more than they have to re: the drive to Brooksville which is 50 minutes for me and no big deal.

8. Publicity of events. I agree with Loren that listing the events in more forums could attract more members to run.

9. The Bucaneer region is holding more events as well at Gainesville. It seems they are struggling as well but with the more events at a closer location for their members it is less incentive for them to run in Brooksville.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production

Last edited by chi town brat; 01-16-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 AM
The Fat Cobra

I agree that cost is a problem. It is $40 for non-members and $30 for members the last time I attended a SCCA event. The $75 membership fee saves you nothing unless you attend 8 events a year. You still don't get free food and drink as the other clubs provide.

However, IMO, the biggest problem is competition. With so few competitors and so many classes, you will rarely find more than one person in your class. Also, newbs have a bewildering array of rules to review in order to determine what class to run. I prefer the simple classing structure that FAST uses. It works well for local events. I also don't mind running in the 'other' class at bmwcca events. It is certainly preferable to running against one or two people in bsp. Sure, you can compare yourself against cars in other classes and use the PAX index, but it doesn't have the drama of competing with other cars in your class.

Between the cost/benefit and the competition that the other clubs allow, I think they offer a better product. The SCCA is for serious autoxers, not because of the attitudes of the people at an event, but because of the classing structure. I currently drive an uncompetitive BSP car because I wanted a car that was fun to drive, not to win a couple of cheap trophies after I spent $$$$. I also like the convenience of not packing a cooler with drinks and lunch, as some other clubs provide.

On a personal level, I will return to the SCCA when I want to run national events in a competitive car to compare myself to the best drivers in the country. Otherwise, I will most likely attend one or two local SCCA events a year, when I am 'jonesing' like Loren.