Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Your best lap time @ Sebring

Old 09-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Lucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your best lap time @ Sebring

As always, I had a blast on Saturday with SafeMotorsports. I took 15 seconds off my time with new wheels/tires/suspension. I am now in the 2:40's (This was expected as my old tires were 5 year old ice skates ). This however leads me to: What is going to be the best time my setup can run? My best on Saturday was a 2:47, however I know many areas that I can improve to take my time into the low 2:40's - But does anyone think I could make it into the 2:30's? I have stock brakes (Track pads and SS lines though), 250rwhp, 2800lbs. My best friend ran a best of 2:36 in his stock C5 Z06. I would say he is @ 3300lbs and high 300's for his rwhp. I know Chuck is in the 2:20's with his Viper. Who else cares to share their rwhp/weight/lap times? What does everyone think the best time my setup could produce given power to weight and my undersized brakes?

Also, Chuck, thanks again so much for the ride along. That was fantastic.

~James
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 PM

I've turned 2:45's in Jeff's Sentra on street tires, so a proper sports car on race tires should easily be in the mid-low 2:30's. Best way to answer your question and give yourself a legitimate "target time" would be to have someone like Chuck take a few laps in your car. Someone who knows how to get a "fast" RWD sports car around the track will be able to get about 90% out of your car in just a few laps. Ultimately, you should be a little faster than that, but that will give you a good idea of where you should be.

As for brakes, unless they're consistently overheating, don't assume that they are "inadequate". (and, of course, you can get feedback on your setup by having an experienced driver take your car out)
Old 09-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Lucky

Anything done to Jeff's Sentra?
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 09-24-2007, 02:05 PM
legend behind the cowl

It's Stock.~~~ kinda.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Suspension and a lightweight flywheel. Factory Spec-V brakes. That's about it.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Lucky

Very cool. Where do you think the whp is guys? 150? 160? Less/More?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Sexist

Glad you came out James. Keep at it. We lucked out with the rain holding off like it did. Got a few months off to get the car back in shape...if I can afford it.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Lucky

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
Glad you came out James. Keep at it. We lucked out with the rain holding off like it did. Got a few months off to get the car back in shape...if I can afford it.
I'm so happy the sun burned off those morning clouds. I have to put a new roof on my house before the car gets more preferential treatment.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Turn 7 at Sebring

Hey James,

I saw your car out there but didn't get chance to say anything. I was busy adjusting the front camber and fixing an alternator problem.

My best lap is a 2:39
Hp is 200-220 to the rear wheels and the car weighs 2500.

It was nice to meet you Chuck!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:13 PM
legend behind the cowl

Don't know the car's never been to a dyno. but it was 175 Crank HP from the factory can't imagine wheel hp is much greater then 150 but HP means nothing it's got a nice fat Torque curve (truck engines rule)