Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Tampa Rallycross September 30th

Old 09-21-2007, 11:17 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been told that a clay surface can really rip up paint on a car. Any information on the surface and the damage one might be prepared to face or dispelling thoughts?

Asking because I had thought about running in future events.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 09-22-2007, 11:08 AM
legend behind the cowl

I've never had a problem.. I would be more concerned about gravel then clay, clay is much like pavement (unless water is present) it does not get kicked up. if you were driving the oval at speed, PERHAPS it might get kicked up but for what we are doing I would not worry. and hey if your afraid you can allways drive W0rd's rental car :-0
Old 09-24-2007, 06:03 PM
legend behind the cowl

WE are on!!!!!! I can't wait.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Gravel fiend

I've written myself about 5 notes to make sure that the timing equipment is charged up. I hope there's going to be power for the laptop?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:48 PM
legend behind the cowl

There is power, and Shade, and bathrooms, and a timing tower. and plenty of parking. it's the best rallycross facility I've found in florida. with all the amentities we get included. Make sure you bring a extension cord just in case you need the computer closer to the timing lights then the outlets allow. hopefully bob SCCA bob will bring all his equipment as backup because we do not know how dusty it will be and if that will keep the light triggers from working...

even if it does we can set up the start to auto trigger and have someone press the end button as they cross the finish
Old 09-25-2007, 06:11 PM
aspiring luder

i don't think it will get too dusty honestly, we really don't get shit flung up on us until the really fast cars get running, and its usually later in the evening, but you have to remember, thats 20-30 cars each heat, we'll probably rarely even run the same lines
Old 09-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Race Photographer

pics of the track and course area ?

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 09-26-2007, 09:23 AM
aspiring luder

East Bay Raceway Park
Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Are passengers allowed?

Jeremy

Old 09-26-2007, 06:22 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Attended the CFR district meeting tongiht and talked with a couple of guys who raced on this track before and gave me a couple of tips I thought I would pass along:

Before the race clean the car, wax it really good, then spray WD40 or Pam everywhere you can to help keep the clay/dust/dirt from sticking.

After the race hit up the local car wash to spray the car down and remember to get up under the car and the suspension.

They used to buy foam, like those to make couches, cut out a wedge and stuff it up under the wheel well guard to help keep excess dirt out. They also suggested to *not* use the spray foam because well it doesn't come off.

They said with only one to two cars out on course at a time, like a regular autox, one shouldn't see a lot of dirt flying up at them.

With our speeds we shouldn't be ripping up the track that much to cause any difficulties.

One guy did mention that he wasn't sure about the status of the infield portion.

They said its a blast to run out there and to have fun

Pending weather and whats up I may try to make it back Sunday to spectate so that I can run in the future.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production