Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

SAFE @ Sebring

Old 05-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Lucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking SAFE @ Sebring

Wow what a great time! Chuck it was great meeting you in the morning (Shook your hand and mentioned TR just after the drivers meeting). Having never been on a track before it was an incredible experience. They have two sessions in the morning (half hour each) and then open track the rest of the day. My dad took the first session and I was white knuckling anything I could grab for the first lap and a half ! Then I just reminded myself to breath as dad has ample experience and really knows how to drive. After calming down and dad finishing up his session it was my turn. I offered dad to take my session as I wasn't quite sure I was ready but he threw me into the deep end of the pool. So I got out there and got up to speed. Very quickly 3 miata's (looked like a SCCA team painted blue and white) caught up to me. I knew I could out "drag" them from turn 4 down to the safety pin, but I knew they were full of experience and there was no reason for me to hold them up (plus that would be not only rude but also against the rules). So they whizzed by me as I lifted on my throttle. I still had a moment to accelerate towards the safety pin, but remember this was my first lap ever on a road course! So I broke, came up out of the safety pin and went on my way. Next, after turn 13, a pack of brand new Z06's came roaring up. I pointed them by and they were gone in a flash. On the back straight there was alot of traffic coming up on me, so once again, I pointed everyone by while lifting my throttle (miatas, vipers, mustangs, everyone!). That was one lap!

Through out the day of switching between me and my dad driving I quickly improved. We were parked next to a family of racers who were very kind. Johnny who was a great guy to hang out with has a brand new red Z06 (however it was a brand new black Z06 by the end of the day due to the fog of love bugs). My dad did not like the tires we went out with. They were not sticky, and all you heard was them screaming in certain turns because we had less then ideal grip if we wanted to turn some nice lap times. Dad turned a best lap of about 3:15 (Didn't have a stop watch, only a wrist watch). My best time was about 3:26. Dad says with some nice sticky tires, we will easily dive into the twos (Plus I must work on and tighten up that nut behind the wheel).

On one of my last laps near the end of the day, Chuck and a pack of cars behind him came hauling up on me after turn 13. I pointed you all by and you all were gone in an instant. I hope I didn't hold you up to badly! I bring this up because when I was a forth of the way down the back straight, someone locked up big time and I want to make sure everyone is all right. It didn't seem like there was an incident, but there sure was alot of smoke.

All in all, what an incredible day. In the beginning I was pointing cars by (and I was still pointing them by at the end of the day as well), but by the end I was on the receiving end, being pointed by by a couple of cars.

SAFE, I will see you in July with some new sticky tires!

~James
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 05-28-2007, 11:00 AM
legend behind the cowl

I would wait on those tires. they can mask some driving inconsistentcies. Just for giggles. the Sentra is able to consistently lap sebring (full course) in mid 2's on street tires, and we were only to be about 2 seconds a lap faster on full DOT tires. Loren used to drive the several seconds a lap quicker then me, however this last time I finally understood what he was talking about, and was much faster (
Plus I'm not afraid of looping the car) I would assume our lack of horsepower (we are NOT Much faster then a spec miata in a drag race) should put a Good Rx7 Lap (which is a GREAT track car) about 10 seconds faster regardless of the tires. (Sebring is very horsepower demanding) and takes a lot of laps to drive it as fast as it needs to be driven. turns 1 and 17 are fast 4th gear corners. a REAL race car is in the 1 min time and a GREAT race car can lap the 3.7 mile course in under a min

If you guys are turning 3:15 don't fix the car. get more experence! best thing you can spend money on.

Last edited by treekiller; 05-28-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:26 AM

Jeff, are you finally figuring out that whole "momentum" thing?

I'm a little confused, though, James. I always got the impression that SAFE was all about experienced drivers, and they didn't offer instruction or anything like that. How did you manage to get out on track with them with NO experience?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:44 AM
legend behind the cowl

Originally Posted by Loren
Understand sure, like it enough to not turbocharge the Spec-V for next years one Lap NOPE. Momentum be dammed by 287 ftlbs of torque @ 8psi
Old 05-28-2007, 07:00 PM

If those z06's are setup properly and driven fast they are capable of pulling off laps about a full minute faster than you are (mid-2:20s I believe)

Since you are new you do NOT want to be driving on sticky tires. I think you should wait until you are pulling some consistently quick laps after a few more events before you worry too much about changing the car very much.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by treekiller
I would wait on those tires. they can mask some driving inconsistentcies. Just for giggles. the Sentra is able to consistently lap sebring (full course) in mid 2's on street tires, and we were only to be about 2 seconds a lap faster on full DOT tires. Loren used to drive the several seconds a lap quicker then me, however this last time I finally understood what he was talking about, and was much faster (
Plus I'm not afraid of looping the car) I would assume our lack of horsepower (we are NOT Much faster then a spec miata in a drag race) should put a Good Rx7 Lap (which is a GREAT track car) about 10 seconds faster regardless of the tires. (Sebring is very horsepower demanding) and takes a lot of laps to drive it as fast as it needs to be driven. turns 1 and 17 are fast 4th gear corners. a REAL race car is in the 1 min time and a GREAT race car can lap the 3.7 mile course in under a min

If you guys are turning 3:15 don't fix the car. get more experence! best thing you can spend money on.
The LMP2 cars are lapping in the 1:40's. Are you sure you didn't mean a real race car is in the low-mid 2 minute range and a great one is in the 1-minute range?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Lucky

I would wait on those tires. they can mask some driving inconsistencies. Just for giggles. the Sentra is able to consistently lap sebring (full course) in mid 2's on street tires, and we were only to be about 2 seconds a lap faster on full DOT tires.
While I agree, perhaps we can agree to disagree. The tires I ran on are 5 years old and are as hard as bricks. While they were not dangerous and were not dry rotted, I, IMHO, need new tires regardless of whether or not I am on the track again anytime soon. While slicks would definitely mask some driver error, I think some new street tires are definitely in line.

How did you manage to get out on track with them with NO experience?
While I have NO experience, my father has an extensive history with motor sports (About 30 years). I followed the FAQ's on SAFE's website and emailed the proper people and was accepted as a member. It was agreed that dad would drive first and then be my second set of eyes while I was getting the hang of it. To anyone in a similar situation as myself, I would recommend visiting the FAQ section of SAFE's website.

Understand sure, like it enough to not turbocharge the Spec-V for next years one Lap NOPE. Momentum be dammed by 287 ftlbs of torque @ 8psi
I'm at alot less power then that. I have my car de-tuned. I did this so that the power increases can grow with my experience. It almost makes me ill, but oh well, I don’t want to kill myself .

If those z06's are setup properly and driven fast they are capable of pulling off laps about a full minute faster than you are (mid-2:20s I believe)

Since you are new you do NOT want to be driving on sticky tires. I think you should wait until you are pulling some consistently quick laps after a few more events before you worry too much about changing the car very much.
Johnny (New ZO6) who I was parked next to was turning 2:30's in traffic and he probably could have turned better times if he wanted to push it. Dad was pushing the tires to the limit. I truly don’t believe the best of pros could have gotten much more out of the car. But of course I cant bad mouth dad now can I ?

Thanks all for the comments, please keep them coming.

~James
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 05-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Sexist

Good meeting you James. Thanks for coming out. It was a very crowded day but the good part about that is getting comfortable in traffic. You did terrific. Even with all the cars we had a real safe and fun event.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Sexist

Originally Posted by Loren

I'm a little confused, though, James. I always got the impression that SAFE was all about experienced drivers, and they didn't offer instruction or anything like that. How did you manage to get out on track with them with NO experience?
SAFE allows a limited number of rookies to ride with sponsors. They don't get instruction but they get a second set of eyes to help point out faster approaching cars, cornerworkers and flags. It really works out quite well because the rookies learn what is important first - that is faster cars and cornerworkers.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:40 AM
Sexist

Originally Posted by RX007CYM
On one of my last laps near the end of the day, Chuck and a pack of cars behind him came hauling up on me after turn 13. I pointed you all by and you all were gone in an instant. I hope I didn't hold you up to badly! I bring this up because when I was a forth of the way down the back straight, someone locked up big time and I want to make sure everyone is all right. It didn't seem like there was an incident, but there sure was alot of smoke.
That was probably me. You weren't the only one riding on bricks.