Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

BMW Car Controle Clinic April 22nd.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the Help.. Loren, Tree, Spin, Chi.. we appreciate the expertise and assistance. Its a great cause, but hard work.. I am glad we only have one a year..

A side note..
Vegas
Picts not edited. I just dumped them out on a server. But check out the cars.. Not euro but very Unique.

Last edited by bam2002; 04-23-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:42 AM
legend behind the cowl

Originally Posted by bam2002

But my new R compounds are Tyres.. from England..

B
Made by Cooper, In Ohio.

Cooper builds pretty good stuff they just can't market it here at a premimum price, so Their Drag stuff is Mickey Thompson and Road Race is Avon. For years Hoosier Street tires were rebadged Coopers, but Hoosier recieved many complaints about that.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:25 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Originally Posted by bam2002
Thanks for all the Help.. Loren, Tree, Spin, Chi.. we appreciate the expertise and assistance. Its a great cause, but hard work.. I am glad we only have one a year..
You're welcome and what is even more scary is the Vivek actually taught teens his driving skills

Thank you Kris for calling dibs on Station 3 and grabbing me to be with you, that made the day really fun as was driving Vivek's car through the course a few times. WEEEEE!

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 PM

It was a good time, always glad to help kids (or adults) improve their skills. Definitely harder work than it seems... I was exhausted by the end of the day!

Anybody got any good photos from the day?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:00 PM

Yea I slept well too.

We did have a few BMW CCA persons taking photos. I will let you know as soon as I find out where there are.

Thanks again.. every one..

B
Old 04-24-2007, 03:47 AM

Thanks to Loren for taking the role as team leader.
(and for bringing the Lil' Jaguar.)

It was weird having passengers in the back seat.
It must have been wild for them on the skid pad.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:48 AM
legend behind the cowl

Originally Posted by Spin Out
It was weird having passengers in the back seat.
It must have been wild for them on the skid pad.
I have to say, My mother would not have been so quiet or helpful. shoot she still has the deathgrip when she comes down to visit, and I drive. and I've been driving with her in the car for 16 years. some things never change.

anyway it was very good. some of the students needed some prodding to get out of their comfort zone but once they did they had a blast. The one student in the black GTI was very good for his first event, he will be a very good autocrosser if he keeps it up
Old 04-24-2007, 09:17 AM

Mr. GTI seemed to have an attitude problem,
but I tried really hard to work with him.
Maybe he is just a really quiet guy.

He got a lot better as we did each exercise.
He was sitting like Coolio when we started,
so I got him seated correctly.
He did listen to me, that's a plus.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Spin Out
Mr. GTI seemed to have an attitude problem,
but I tried really hard to work with him.
Maybe he is just a really quiet guy.

He got a lot better as we did each exercise.
He was sitting like Coolio when we started,
so I got him seated correctly.
He did listen to me, that's a plus.
Yeah, I think he started with not so much attitude but... I guess a "look" about him. I didn't see his beginning seating position, but it jives with the vibe I got from him. Typical teen "cool kid" veneer, really.

To his credit, he did loosen up as the day went on, actually talked about some things, gave some feedback, asked some questions. And he did seem to be listening to the instruction. I'm sure he learned a lot and gained some valuable experience. You could tell that he was accustomed to driving agressively... a lot of what he learned was how to NOT overdrive the car and how to properly control/prevent FWD understeer.

The only student I had that I questioned a bit was the really young one. He looked more like he was 13 than 15, and his car control was pretty weak. Probably just not enough basic seat time.

Note for next time: try to allot more space (runoff space) for the wet skidpad. I had several students spin off into the cones. The cones should be far enough out that they don't hit them. Ideally, I'd have liked it better if the sprinklers were shooting from one side rather than the middle, but I know water pressure was an issue.

For anyone who does this in the future, be aware that it's nearly impossible to get a FWD car w/ ABS to go tail out at 30 mph without pulling the hand brake. I'd hoped I could get some "natural" slides going on, but it just wouldn't happen. So, plan on yanking the handbrake on them. Give them at least one solid 180+, and after that, just give them enough of a pull to kick the tail out and let them practice recovery. (this little bit of info would have been useful to most of the instructors... including myself... but we eventually figured it out)

Was highly disappointed that I didn't get to take a single wet skidpad run in a RWD car!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:05 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Originally Posted by Loren
Note for next time: try to allot more space (runoff space) for the wet skidpad. I had several students spin off into the cones. The cones should be far enough out that they don't hit them. Ideally, I'd have liked it better if the sprinklers were shooting from one side rather than the middle, but I know water pressure was an issue.
How did you set up the wet skidpad at Brooksville? Where'd the water come from?

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!