Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

South East Solo Series

Old 02-20-2007, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South East Solo Series

Dear Soloist,

Following Karl Rickert’s resignation as the South East Divisional Solo Steward I was recommended and subsequently appointed to the position for the 2007 season. First and foremost, allow me to thank Karl for his years of dedication to our divisional series. Karl stepped up at a time when no one else was willing and continued tradition of the Southeastern Divisional series. Despite his efforts, interest in the series has fallen and it is for this reason that I feel that now is the time for a new direction. I would also like to thank Rick Cone for volunteering to serve as the Assistant Solo Steward.

For those of you who were unable joined us at the SEDIV convention in Jekyll Island, Rick and I presented a proposal for a new format and a new philosophy for the Solo Series. The philosophy is centered on three primary goals. The first is to boost participation, the second is to increase region involvement and the third is to create an intermediate step that encourages and eases the transition from “local” to “National” competition. A fourth goal that later emerged is to grow SCCA membership within the existing autocrossers in the Southeast.

To achieve these goals some traditional obstacles needed to be overcome. The primary one being the amount of travel and time that was required to participate. For this reason the decision has been made to convert the series to a regular season and championship event format, rather than the traditional “best of” series. The target for the regular season is 10 events (three events in Florida and south Georgia, one in north Georgia, three in the Carolinas and three in Tennessee and Alabama). Of these events drivers would be able to run in as many as they wished, however only their best 3 (6 total days) plus the championship event will count toward a championship.

The regular season events will effectively be “Super Regionals.” These events will be hosted and run by the regions with very little interference from the Division. Southeast Division drivers will also be able to score divisional points at National Tours within the Division. The Championship event is currently scheduled for November 3rd and 4th at Atlanta Motor Speedway. This date was selected primarily because of its availability but it also allows for as many regular season events as possible.

For more information please reference the supplemental regulations posted at: Link: SEDiv Solo2 - Home

These are proposed sups. I will ask that comments and questions be directed to the SEDIV Solo Forums.

The success or failure of the Divisional Program is dictated by the attendance it generates. This year we are trying something new in an attempt to make this series accessible as well as enjoyable. However, for it to be successful we need you, the drivers, to participate. I urge all of you to help strengthen the Divisional Program, come out this year and give this format an opportunity to shine.

I would also like to begin dialogues with regional officials to schedule as many events as we can as soon possible. Given the late start, I am more than willing to work with your region to find a way to make these events happen.

Yours for the sport,

Heyward Wagner
SEDIV Solo Steward

Heyward.wagner@gmail.com
Old 02-21-2007, 04:30 AM
cone junkie

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Be able to run at a higher level of competition without the traveling that was needed in the past is a pretty cool thing IMO. Florida has some pretty good talent spread around, so this could be a place to show it.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 02-21-2007, 04:59 AM
Now with less suck

It does sound like it could be good for the sport. For 2007 anyway, I'm about maxed out on the energy I can put into solo, so I don't think it will change much for me. If that situation changes for '08 it'd be good to have a higher level of competition more readily accessible.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:47 AM
cone junkie

Originally Posted by nunyo
It does sound like it could be good for the sport. For 2007 anyway, I'm about maxed out on the energy I can put into solo, so I don't think it will change much for me. If that situation changes for '08 it'd be good to have a higher level of competition more readily accessible.
Do you even still race?

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 02-21-2007, 07:55 AM
who stole my intercooler?

is there a schedule?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Now with less suck

Originally Posted by PseudoRealityX
Do you even still race?
Sheesh, I miss one event ...

My energy is actually shifting towards track riding on motorcycles. I'm also more poor than usual right now and my car is currently broken (trashed the VLSD). I'll still chair the west coast events, especially those in Brooksville. I'll even fix the Miata so that Christy has something to drive. I just don't see myself doing any extra events this year or rallying to host a larger format event.

All that said, the club probably deserves more involved and enthusiastic members in leadership roles, so if someone wants to step up, I'll gladly transfer knowledge/responsibility.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:54 AM
The Fat Cobra

I think it is a neat idea. There is too much on my plate for it this year, maybe I can participate in 2008.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

I like the idea as well and agree that the closer locations provide more reasonable travel for those who cannot load thier cars on a trailer because they don't own the equipment to do so. Okay so one day I might.

This year would be ruled out for me but I hope this continues with any needed improvements or adjustments in 2008 when I would be prepared and try competing at a National level.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 04-04-2007, 07:00 AM
cone junkie

SEDiv Solo2 - SEDSS SCHEDULE

Here's the current schedule. I would encourage anyone to at least attempt to make it to one of these events. Get a couple of friends together, share a hotel room, etc. Meet some new racers, see a new site, get a taste for how different regions run their events.

-93 MR2, #129 ES