Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Anyone here have a racing license?

Old 02-01-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here have a racing license?

Just wondering how you went about getting it. I recently went to the Rolex 24. This week while at work I went on Black Forest Racings website and saw that they will rent cars out for races. I told my boss about it and he said find out how much and what we need to do. I called the guy up and he said i needed to get my racing license before they would let me run in their car. My Boss already has his license, he used to race Formula 2000 and Formula Fords about 8yr's ago. He just has to go get his license renewed. Is there any places in Florida that i could go to in order to get one of these? Also about how long will it take from start to finish before i recieve a license. Our goal is basically to do the 12hr. of Sebring coming up.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:03 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

My friend Jayson who is on this board should have his license by now and could probably tell you about it but for the life of me I can't remember his s/n.

Check out the SCCA website as they are a good way to get started towards your license.

It is time and money that is well spent if you truly enjoy it.

If you ever come across a guy named Dave Junkins out in Orlando on any of the boards talk to him as well. He was into SCCA Road Racing for many years with his CRX and recently just sold it.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM

You also need to realize there are several levels of license. Usually going from one to another requires completing a certain number of races before being able to move on.

If you're aiming at the 12 hour race, though, check with the sanctioning body (I think it's IMSA in this case) to see which licenses they accept. Going from a standing start to qualifying for a major pro endurance race in under six months will be a huge, expensive challenge -- you're not going to get to this year's race by working up through the NASA or SCCA Club Racing ranks -- but not impossible. Or (and this is what I'd recommend), you could get a club-level license this year and get some valuable seat time before moving to the deep end of the pool.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:04 PM

I was thinking along the same lines as Jamie, but I didn't want to make any assumptions about your level of experience (or lack thereof).

There are basically two ways you can get a racing license. One takes more money, one takes more time. The club route takes time, as Jamie said. But, if you go to someplace like Panoz, you can spend way more money, and if you've got enough basic skills, possibly get a license in a single weekend along with some valuable experience in THEIR cars. (club racing requires the use of your own car, or at least a car supplied by you)

Putting yourself out on track with a bunch of REALLY FAST pro drivers if you're not an experienced racer yourself doesn't seem like the safest course of action to me. You could very well be putting yourself and other drivers at great risk. (again, TRYING not to make assumptions about your level of skill and experience... but given the question that you asked, it's pretty safe to assume that you're "green")
Old 02-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I Heart 2nd Gear Racing

Yes, IMSA, I'd like to become a professional racing driver in 42 days so that I can compete in the 12 Hours of Sebring. Can you guys accomodate?

Sure, we've got a fast track for that. Our associates at NASA can also certify you to fly the space shuttle that very same weekend. Whatever tickles your fancy!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Turn 7 at Sebring

You can get your SCCA club license in one weekend. The school is held at Daytona a couple of times a year 5/19/07 is the next school. Next you have to work on your Pro license.

Here is all of the information.
Sports Car Club of America
Old 02-02-2007, 05:44 AM

Yes i am "green" as you said as far as racing goes. I consider myself competent though. I will call the IMSA or email them and see what the best plan of action is. Were not planning on placing anywhere near the top which it's a sure thing we wont. More so for the experience and having a good time. My grandpa and a few of his friends ran at Daytona way back in the day with a private entry when they were in their early 20's, he has some black and white photos of their car running in the race. I would love to do the same and have him there. I doubt we would be a danger on the track. When i had called black forest racing he said there were amatures who purchased their way into the 24hr rolex. It was 25k per seat....but your able to do it. It was pretty funny because he said Alex Tagliani was the one that ended up FUBAR'ing the tranny
Old 02-02-2007, 06:40 AM

The thing you need to understand is that there's a difference between being an "amateur" and being "green". A driver could have 20 years of experience doing track events and SCCA club racing in fast formula cars and he'd be considered an "amateur" when he entered a pro race.

I didn't realize the race you were talking about was less than 2 months away. I figured you were talking about something much later in the year.

Realistically, you need a lot more time to prepare. Even if you could pull the right strings to get "permission" to compete in this race, I think it would be a really Bad Idea.

Get some seat time with one of the track clubs (Chin, PBOC, SAFE, etc), they all run Sebring and they all offer instruction. TONS of fun, and will gain you some experience as a track driver. Start there, perhaps with the aspiration to compete in something "big" next year.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:01 AM

If you can bring the money to the table, probably 1 million at least, either money out of your pocket or a sponsor, and you are a very talented driver, you could probably join an existing team to drive with for a season. Getting in for the 12hr race would be pushing it as far as time constraints go.

If you have the time and money to dedicate to training yourself you MAY be able to do this on your own before the 12 hour race, but you'll basically need to have several days a week free, every week, up until the race. I would imagine this should consist of doing driver schools (Panoz, Skip Barber) at the most advanced levels they are offered, and then probably entering some club races on your own.

Cost of the schools, flights, hotels, car to race with, etc? $100,000 when all i said and done sounds reasonable. Realistically if this was going to happen you would have needed to get started 6 months ago, trying to squeeze all this in now sounds to me to be pretty much impossible

Last edited by djben; 02-02-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:10 AM

Below is from the IMSA CODE

http://www.imsaracing.net/2006/competitors/IMSACode.pdf

3.3 IMSA DRIVER’S LICENSE
3.3.1 Every person who drives a car in an IMSA sanctioned event shall possess a current
IMSA competition Driver License. The standard Competition Driver license holder
minimum age is 18 years old except for certain developmental series where the
minimum age will be specified in the Series Standing Supplementary Regulations.

3.3.2 IMSA Drivers holding current IMSA competition license must have a current (issued
within 6 months of the date of the application for the license) completed IMSA medical
examination form.
3.3.3 IMSA competition Driver licenses may be issued to Drivers with appropriate
documented national experience or to holders of FIA Grade C or higher licenses from
their home competition club. Holders of foreign FIA licenses must secure and provide
written documentation of permission from their home competition club.
3.3.4 IMSA provisional competition Driver licenses may be issued to Drivers with proof of prior
experience and/or suitable schooling. Provisional Driver license holders may not
compete in FIA-listed events. Provisional Driver license holders are not eligible for FIA
licenses. Provisional Driver license holders may be upgraded, at IMSA’s discretion, upon
request of the license holder, following suitable experience. Normally, the provisional
license holder will be observed for a minimum of three races.
3.3.5 Drivers with provisional Driver licenses must contact the Race Director via IMSA officials
in pit lane each time they intend to drive a car in practice, qualifying or a race.
3.3.6 “Prototype” Category “LM”P and “LM”GTP Driver licenses, or licenses for other
categories of high performance cars, may be issued to Drivers with suitable experience.
One criterion is an FIA Grade B or higher license.
3.3.7 IMSA, in its sole discretion, may review the qualifications of a licensee at any time after
issuance of a license and may require the licensee to submit to such additional physical
examinations, to submit a resumé to include Driver information and record of
competition, or to pass such additional Driver ability tests, and may take such other
action or require the licensee to take such other action as IMSA may deem appropriate,
to determine whether the licensee continues to qualify for a license under these rules.