Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

Lincoln TC head unit in A/C control

Old 08-21-2007, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how similar the Lincoln is, but on my caprice, I put the headunit where the AC was, a 7 inch screen where the stock head was, and the ac down in a custom section of the dash.

I took the stock dash, built it up with 2 part foam, covered with duraglass/bondo, and finished with suede flock. Took about 4 hours.

Toby

BlackDog Racing
BlackDog Speed Shop

Lincolnshire, IL

Last edited by TJElite; 12-12-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Effin Chevy

nice. i have seen a lot of these done without any modification to the dash, simply relocation. but did you happen to be at slamfest like 2 years ago?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:51 PM

Lincolns and the Mercury's are the same. We install alot of the 7" flip units into the crown vics, grand marquis, and once in a while the lincolns. The flip unit hits the large extruded dash lip above it when installed in the factory location and short of shimming it half way out of the dash, it looks stupid. This swap is easy, we usually remove the ac unit, and stereo, cut a 2 inch slit under the factory head unit opening to bring the vac lines and electrical connectors up to the factory stereo spot, pull the stereo connections down to the old AC spot, no extensions necessary. The stereo does indeed fit directly into the AC hole with no mods (as long as you are using a single din size unit with a cage/bendable tabs). The ac unit is a little trickier-we usually canibalize a metra installation kit for the factory location and make the ac unit bolt into it. If you don't want to cut off the factory side tabs that allow it to bolt in, you will have to make a custom surround plate and actually push the ac unit in from the front of the dash, then using self tappers to run it into the metra installation plastic surround behind it. To make a custom surround, we usually just cut some thin MDF or abs plastic blank and wrap it with a piece of scrap vinyl or suede. Whole job takes the installer around an hour or two. Give it a shot though, they are really not that hard...

MCOR Automotive LLC
mcorautomotivellc@verizon.net
www.mcorautomotive.com
1635 Dale Mabry Hwy Ste 3
Lutz, FL 33548

(813) 362-5454

"TR Official 12V Shop"- Automotive Audio/Video/Security (JL Audio, Alpine, Hertz/Audiosn, ARC Audio), Window/Tail Lamp Tint, Custom Wheels, Clear Shield, automotive upholstery and leather conversions, "All the Above!"
Old 08-22-2007, 02:25 AM
Effin Chevy

awesome thanks. exactly what i needed.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by BilletZ31
nice. i have seen a lot of these done without any modification to the dash, simply relocation. but did you happen to be at slamfest like 2 years ago?
Yep...will be there again this year...not sure what I'm taking, but will be there.

Toby

BlackDog Racing
BlackDog Speed Shop

Lincolnshire, IL