Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

Partial stereo install

Old 08-22-2004, 08:17 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Partial stereo install

I have some pics from my partial stereo install. I hear requests for more installs, so I did my best to take pics of what I was doing so you could point out what I've done wrong.

Old speakers didn't sound very good. 8 ohm 15 watt disintegrating stockers lasted about three weeks on 22w deck power. Yes, those are my wire cutters stuck to the magnet.

No way in hell the cl61a mids would fit in the stock 5.25 brackets. Took the brackets out and the driver hit the window while sticking out a little less than 3/4 inch. Also found broken glass inside the door, which would explain the absence of a stereo system when I bought the car.

Solution: buy a sheet of 3/4 mdf and cut it into this godawful spacer shape with a jigsaw, then sand the hole out with a dremel until it's just big enough for the speaker to fit. I'm damn proud of these things, and they took a hell of a long time to make considering how crappy they turned out, so feel free to make fun of them, but also feel free to go to hell.

After I took this pic, I took the spacer off and countersunk the screw holes, screwed it back on, then filled the holes with wood filler, then sanded it the next morning. It's going to be behind a door panel. It's still fugly. Why did I waste my time? Hell if I know.

Here's the amp I picked up used from eD- it was a floor unit. When the ups guy dropped the box off, he gave my mom strange looks as she signed for it- when she got it inside, she noticed that the box eD had shipped it in had "Replacement Shaft for XL Hello Kitty Vibrating Dildo" scrawled across it. She was pissed, eD was apologetic but didn't give me a damn discount or anything.

I bought those speakers on credit because they were on sale "for a limited time only", now they sell for 127 instead of 150. The IDQ 12 I wanted to buy that was also on sale at the time is now back up to 200 from 170... sigh.

All of my wiring is soldered and heatshrunk. I'm not sure how you're supposed to run one wire into two, so I soldered the two ends for the hu and sirius receiver onto the ends of the main wires for switched and batt power. It seems to work.

Here's my electronics. 3-year-old Pioneer DEH-P4400 that I originally used in my Accord, Sirius receiver that I got for free (thanks to Russell Keenan's offer on this board a year ago), input adapter split to accept the sirius rca's and also to a 3.5mm headphone adapter so I can plug my laptop in to listen to mp3's and watch movies and anime.

That's all the pics that are any fun to look at. I have a picture of a hand jigsaw and a sheet of mdf, but I think you've seen those. The tweets are mounted in the stock locations up in the corners of the dash- I didn't take pictures of that, let's just say they're out of the way of casual observation and zipties are involved, so I'm not going to show that off. The head unit and sirius controller are mounted and I drilled a new hole in that trim piece so the sirius controller wire is completely hidden. Right now the amp is just sitting in the space where the back seat used to be with my hatch carpet for padding, drawing power from a walmart install kit running three feet to the relocated battery in the trunk. I plan to build a wooden cover that makes the back seat recess flush with the rest of the trunk, at which point the amp and all of the wires I ran under carpet and through body cavities will be completely hidden. The door panels don't fit right now- I put them on to test fit and the speakers blew the panels outward when I turned it up. I'm going to try trimming the inside of the panel, then just cutting a hole through it and using the grilles cdt supplied. Other than that, the goal is to have everything hidden, and that should be easy until I buy a sub and have to find a way to hide that.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:44 AM
Just Ledoux it!

what kind of clearance is between the mids and the glass? roughly... perhaps you could go with 1/2 inch mdf spacer?
Old 08-24-2004, 05:30 AM
Errare Humanum Est

Very cool.. How does it all sound?
Old 08-24-2004, 07:38 AM
Reppin' the 813

Here's the amp I picked up used from eD- it was a floor unit. When the ups guy dropped the box off, he gave my mom strange looks as she signed for it- when she got it inside, she noticed that the box eD had shipped it in had "Replacement Shaft for XL Hello Kitty Vibrating Dildo" scrawled across it. She was pissed, eD was apologetic but didn't give me a damn discount or anything.
LMAO Thats had me laughing at work for a while

Damn what kind of people work at ED? I wanna see some pics of your mom

But hey man looks good, hows it sound?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:08 PM
could be worse

install looks ok to me, you did way to much work on those spacers though lol

www.generationsofcabinetry.com
Old 08-24-2004, 06:05 PM

Yeah I have to agree...that's a little extensive on the speaker brackets. You must have alot of free time.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:08 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Originally posted by 93ex
what kind of clearance is between the mids and the glass? roughly... perhaps you could go with 1/2 inch mdf spacer?
There is an eighth of an inch of clearance between the glass and the bottom of the magnet when the window is all the way down. I actually measured the needed clearance with a tape measure so the spacer would be as thin as possible- it was just luck that it came out to 3/4".

As far as sound quality goes, I'm pleased now that I've got the gain and crossover set approximately where they should be and since I've been able to play around with the eq settings on my head unit a bit, though I may ask for some help with that if I can ever keep my car running long enough to make it to an audio meet . I don't really have a good comparison to make as I've only really heard high-end stuff in the stores and not in a car, but I'm happy with what I have for the price I paid. What I need now to be truly content with the setup is a sub to fill in the low end. Unfortunately, I just exposed an improper head gasket installation on my part with a trip to the track, so it will be a little while before I can afford it- damn tuition deferment means I have to wait another month before I get my hands on that 2500 dollars of car fundage .