Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

Stereo setup planning

Old 04-08-2004, 10:11 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo setup planning

3 weeks until I can get a job. I want to be ready- so far I have this list of stuff, but I've only put a few hours into researching it. I read through a lot of the forums on Caraudio.com back through the first of the year or so, tried to justify various parts:

H/U: had it for two years, Pioneer DEH P4400. I think it will do the job, only change is an rca input adapter so I can run the sirius radio without that nasty fm modulator.

Fronts:
CDT CL-61a, 149.95 at thezeb. Supposedly the next closest competitors/ the next step up in sq are focal k's, and I didn't see those going for less than 220, so I'm ordering these as soon as they come off of backorder.

The rest of the stuff won't come until paycheck number two or three, about a month and a half to two months, I'd guess.
Sub (single, 12", sq way more important than spl because I really don't like pounding bass for more than occasional "show-off" purposes):
Here's where I'm not so sure. I'm looking at the IDQ 12 V.2, but for one thing I don't know whether to order it in the D4 or D2 . The amp I'm looking at could handle the 8 ohm load it seems I'd be stuck with with the D4, is there any downside to that? I tried searching and I read thorugh the bcae site again, but I couldn't determine if that would cause a problem. The D4 is 30 bucks cheaper right now, and I'm cheap.
The other option as I see it is something from eD, but what? e12k? e12o? The e12a costs more than I really want to spend, I'd like to spend around 200 on the sub. I'm want to run any of the above in a relatively small sealed enclosure, as for the power going to them, that's where the amp choice comes in.

Amp:
I would like to go with a four-channel amp if possible. So far, I haven't really done any indepth research in the amp area- I just went and picked out the best four channel JL listed on their website . The auctions I found for these were 510 minimum on ebay :o . I think that's where you'll come in and tell me I'm crazy for thinking of spending that much, but I don't know...
JL 450/4
Since the subs I'm looking at are all rated for at least 350 watts and the cdt's are rated for 90, how much of the potential of the speakers will I be missing out on with an amp that can do 300 bridged and 75x2? I've heard JL amps are underrated, and I'm not too hard to please when it comes to sheer volume alone. That amp is really nifty, and I like the 4-channel aspect as my reasoning is 1 4 channel amp weight < 2 amps' weight. If you were to suggest a similar four channel or maybe two amps, I guess I wouldn't mind losing the nifty-ness to save 100+ dollars.

And that's it, the best I've come up with so far for a simple, relatively inexpensive, and hopefully fairly light weight (I just spent 6 hours scraping sound deadener from my floor pan and testing a weight-saving manual seatbelt conversion if that gives you an idea of my concerns). Please feel free to tear the plan to shreds, suggest other stuff- at the least that gives me keywords to search for more info.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Just Ledoux it!

imma tackle this when i get home
Old 04-11-2004, 11:49 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Well, I've found much cheaper options than the JL amp (of course), two that have stuck out so far have been the Avionixx (which Miles also recommended back when I was looking at a somewhat different plan for a system) 400.2, running one for the fronts and one bridged for the sub, which would end up at 380 dollars from edesign themselves, compared to 510 for an ebay 450/4. Another amp company I looked at was US Acoustics, where I could get 2 amps that more than meet my needs spec-wise for something like 250 dollars (frontssub). I've read some bad things about them along with the good, though, and they're not nearly as flexible or nifty as the JL, plus, with two amps of typical weight, I'm pushing 30 pounds and I want to keep the total system weight at 50 lbs, a goal that will be hard with one amp's weight along with the sub/enclosure, and wiring. I'm willing to spend more than 250 on the amp setup, too, so I'd like to go more upscale than that.

I think the biggest help I could get at this point would be some links to good audio boards with good search features, and any brands you would shy away from or brands you like. I've been searching at caraudio.com's board, I tried another board (forgot url) that had a crappy search feature and dumped it, and I may have stumbled across another board or two that I've forgotten about. I've got a while to decide on the sub and amp, so I've got time to research.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:11 AM
Just Ledoux it!

i think somethign like the avionixx is a good option.

and just fyi, my sub weighs like 30 lbs, my box weighs like 10